lexington beauty / 10th street Baths..???

Discussion in 'NJ/NY/CT Massage / Spa' started by kidcloud, Jan 22, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. sakatz

sakatz

Schwenko--I probably should have made it clearer in my post that the 10th Street Baths aren't a gay bath. Of course, there used to be quite a few gay bathhouses in the city, but nearly all of them were closed in the 1980s because of AIDS.
  2. kidcloud

kidcloud

yeah, it does add charachter to the city. And as for Lexington Beauty on 57th and Lexington? I havent heard anything about this place in ahwile ..
  3. schwenko

schwenko

"The 10th Street Russian Baths is a New York landmark. There used to be quite a few of these places in the city, I think this is the last--although there are similar places to be found in New York's Russian communities in Brighton Beach."

The NY Times this Sunday had an article on such a place near Marcus Garvey Park (across from the Rev Al Sharpton's hq) that (predominantly) caters to gay black men, if anyone is interested.
  4. sakatz

sakatz

The 10th Street Russian Baths is a New York landmark. There used to be quite a few of these places in the city, I think this is the last--although there are similar places to be found in New York's Russian communities in Brighton Beach.

For a flat rate--$15-$20 bucks, I forget exactly how much--you can spend the entire day at the schvitz. They have four different types of steam rooms and an icy cold pool to jump in afterward. There are cots to nap on if you're taking a day-long schvitz, a little work out area, and, weather permitting, a sun deck. They also have a little restaurant where you can get, say, roasted chicken and a shot of vodka.

They also offer various kinds of massage, most notably a massage in the radiant heat room with soapy oak leaves (which are supposed to help circulation or something). Male and female massage therapists are available.

Occasionally you'll hear of somebody getting a hr there. I've argued before on this board that it's really not worth pursuing--you can get a hr practically on every corner in NY, but a turn-of-the-century Russian baths is a rarity and we should protect it--that is, if you care about living in a city with character.
  5. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

What goes on at these bath houses? HRs?

mr_namrepus, Welcome to Silver!:)
  6. mr_namrepus

mr_namrepus

Silver

Wow - I just noticed I made silver.
  7. mr_namrepus

mr_namrepus

I went to the Russian baths a couple of years ago. I found the place to be very dirty. The hot baths were full of hair - yecch. The massage was OK and after a prompting I received a so-so HJ.

I never went back.
  8. kidcloud

kidcloud

Anyone have any info on either of these 2 places? Lexington is on 57th and Lex and i was just looking for info on the 10th street Russian bath houses.. Lemme know whats good guys..