LI Bust

Discussion in 'Long Island' started by teps, Aug 21, 2008.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

Town/Village court is the same thing; it's a county court rather then state court. If you get pulled over in certain towns/villages this is where you go. At the end of the day it's more or less the same shit, I've just always had better results in "state" courts because the judges have less to prove. I've heard from attorneys that a lot of town/village judges are asswipes.

Totally agree. I never dress like a slob, and I am always extremely polite, and it's always worked in my favor. I've seen arrogant hood rats roll up with jeans hanging off their ass looking like they're fresh off robbing a Fubu truck with the same ticket(s) as me and they had a hell of a time, and I walked away with a much better disposition. Being polite and professional with judges goes such a long way.
  2. biohazard

biohazard

I had the pleasure of watching the judge work in the Village of Lynbrook for about an hour before he got to me. What genius said is correct, I watched two people ( at different times) approach the bench for the same ticket. One with "fuck you Attitude" who walked away with fine and points. The other one with the complete opposite attitude, better dressed and half apologetic excuse he walked away with a "Parking ticket" for which he paid a fine.
  3. genius

genius

Pretty sure wasn't a village court. SCPD cops gave me the summons in N. Amityville (not an Inc Village). Bailiff was SCPD, Had an ADA. Really big courtroom with lots of people - some with lawyers. As I said - long time ago - I clearly remember details as they were interesting, except where it was (location wasn't all that important to me).
  4. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

The only NYS criminal court in Suffolk is in Central Islip, you were most likely at a village court; those judges tend to be terrible.

People watching in court is very educational, but it's far more entertaining. The amount of stupid people who can't understand simple things is absolutely amazing.
  5. genius

genius

My hitchhiking ticket also was returnable in district court - forgot where but think it was in 2nd district Babylon.

2nd case right before me the guy was called up to judge, had shirt open with large gold chain and wearing jeans. Judge almost literally threw him out of court w/o letting him plea and said "Schedule another appearance and you better come back when you are dressed properly - if you don't I'll hold you in contempt".

1st case right before was some late 20's woman who wrote a $60 check to Macy's, had moved before the check cleared and changed banks (closed her account). The check bounced. She said to judge that she had moved, thought all checks had cleared, was sorry and would write a check immediately to pay the bill. I couldn't believe what the judge said to her - something like - The charge is writing a bad check , you are here to plead guilty or not guilty. I suggest you reschedule and next time bring an attorney with you and be prepared to enter a plea.

Then they called me up and read my charge. I after seeing the last two actions by the judge I thought that I was totally going to get screwed. So I walk up dressed in my nice clean and pressed suit with white shirt and tie, tell the judge that I saw a pedestrian walking, weather was awful (a lie - nice sunny summer morning) she didn't have an umbrella (the truth -she didn't because it wasn't raining) and she motioned for a ride. Showed him the copy of the law that it was not illegal to pickup a hitchhiker unless specifically posted and it is illegal to hitchhike from the shoulder of the road. At the time I was about the same age as the judge, obviously a professional by the way I spoke and dressed. As I posted before, the young ADA tried to find the same section of the law that I had -( maybe he thought I somehow altered it?) and after a minute or so of this the judge said to him that he would entertain a motion from the people to dismiss. The bailiff ( a uniform )standing next to me, smiled at me and whispered "You got it". ADA agreed with the judge and case dismissed.

I went back to the courtroom, sat down and just for the educational value, listened to the next half hour of cases. Couple of DWI's (guys came with lawyers), a littering case, and some other run of the mill petty crimes.

The evening was an interesting experience.
  6. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

My ticket was returnable to first district court in hempstead because of the type of ticket it was. I could have not taken the plea and fought it, but then I would have had to spend MORE money on the lawyer since it would have probably taken at a minimum at least 2 more court visits, so taking the plea actually saved me money. Then when I went to pay the ticket the idiots in the cashier's office couldn't find it because they spelt my fucking name wrong. What's even more fucked up is by the time I had my "arraingment" for the ticket I had already had the problem resolved but they refused to see my paperwork or hear what I had to say without a lawyer.

Just finished resolving the bullshit tickets I got last year in suffolk. Could have hired a lawyer and got both dismissed because 1 was an illegal search and the second was an illegal stop and illegal search. Wound up pleaing it down to a single no-points traffic ticket and had everything else dismissed. I'll take a <$300 ticket that I have till August to pay over spending at a minimum $1000 to try and get the case dismissed. Suffolk county courts> Nassau.

I don't wear a suit, but I always look kept and have always been polite and have never had an issue and was always given the benefit of the doubt by the judges (Suffolk). I've litterally been in court rooms where the judge was locking almost everyone up who caught lip or looked at him the wrong way; I was petrified. Got up there, explained the situation (was waiting on DMV in Albany to approve some medial paperwork for me) gave the ADA a copy of the paperwork I submited to the DMV and the delivery confirmation receipt and apologized to him that I hadn't heard back from them and he just went "Why are you apologizing? It's not your fault they move so slow. Is (gave me a date 6 weeks later) good for you?" I said yes, he just went "Ok, we will see you then, have a good day". Went back, showed the paperwork, case was dismissed.
  7. genius

genius

Right you are - even when the guy's case was either dismissed or not guilty, ND was there to publish a picture of the guy, his name and the details of the prosecution's case.
  8. JoeyBGood2

JoeyBGood2

All the DAs know this, yet they do it anyway. The punishment does not fit the crime.
  9. pokler

pokler

When guys get busted for prostituion , even if the case is dismissed they still are effectively convicted since the arrest alone will ruin your life.
  10. genius

genius

I know I mentioned my 'hitchhiking case" (the cops saw me pick up a hooker and gave me - not the hooker - a summons for hitchhiking) elsewhere on this site. But the ADA didn't know the law even when I handed him and the judge a copy of the statute - this was the part of the legal process when you enter a plea to the charges. ADA said "well we can restate the charge" and started flailing around paging thru his papers trying to find where picking up a hitchhiker is illegal (it ain't unless specifically posted as you see on the signs to the NYS Thruway; but it is illegal to hitchhike - and as specifically stated in the statute - from the shoulder of the road). The DA obviously noticed that the judge was getting impatient so when the judge stated that he would entertain a request from "the people" for dismissal the ADA agreed.

Case dismissed.

Gotta admit MDC - this is even sweeter than plea bargaining down to $200 fine - if I had to pay a lawyer and paid that $200, I wouldn't have it to pay for hookers after I left the court.

BTW - IMHO, always go to court in a conservative suit, clean shaven (mine was night court) and fresh haircut and show completely respect (yeah I know it is hard to respect a buffoon but just show it anyway and laugh to yourself on your way out.)
  11. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

Those are different because the arrests and what not are not driven by the DA's office and the DA's personal agenda. "Flush The Johns" was a Cathleen Rice initiaitve and driven task force/sting operation as opposed to letting the NCPD run point on stuff.

With that being said, and speaking from what I've witnessed first hand in Nassau Court Rooms, the DA's office (including the ADA's) are some of the most disorganized human beings I've ever seen. They are constantly never ready, and missing information. It's an embarassing cluster fuck. I had a "misdemeanor" traffic ticket due to a fuck up between my insurance company and the always on point DMV; the court/judge wouldn't let me resolve it myself, they made me spend money to hire a lawyer. So I called in a small favor and got the name of a fucking stud lawyer and he got my case down to a parking ticket because the second time we went to court the ADA still wasnt ready. He goes to me "You want to pay $200 for a parking ticket and get this shit over with today?" I agreed, he goes "Watch this." Goes to the Judge, and comes up with his own plea deal because for the second time in a row the ADA wasn't ready, judge was pissed ADA wasn't ready again and let my lawyer have whatever he wanted.

I would have fought that shit to the end, then sued the county for slander.
  12. massagenoob

massagenoob

Well luckily for them many of the Johns took the plea or I think they would have lost a lot more of these cases. I guess they didn't want their names being dragged around any longer than they already were. I would have absolutely fought it bases on the way things went down.
  13. genius

genius

Makes you wonder that if they can't even get s slam dunk case right how do the do on the "real" cases such as armed robbery, gang killings, etc?
  14. massagenoob

massagenoob

Especially when it wasn't even fucking done correctly and was a complete failure (not that it should have even been done at all).
  15. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

Good. Thank God Cunty Rice is gone, hopefully Madeline Singas has more of a brain to not waste county money and resources on such frivolous undertakings, and maybe a bit more integrity.
  16. genius

genius

17. latinoli

latinoli

Towns with private PD only need 1 person with influence to give gun hoe cop to make a name for themselves.
  18. genius

genius

Must have been a slow day for writing parking tickets.
  19. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

In my personal opinion, while human trafficking certainly does exist, it has been blown way out of proportion. Now any woman who is in this profession seems to be a victim of it. Do you think 58 year old women are being abducted from their home countries and forced into this?
  20. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

That bolded part is a bit scary.

I guess Long Beach PD has a lot of time if they shut down 2 AMPs that quickly.