LI Bust

Discussion in 'Long Island' started by teps, Aug 21, 2008.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. genius

genius

Actually the one useful characteristic of robbery criminals (from LE point of view) is they tend to be pretty stupid - so its more being stupid than it is being brazen IMHO.
  2. Rider

Rider

Chances are he's a single guy in business for himself so the job repercussions may be non-existent.
  3. massagenoob

massagenoob

Pretty damn brazen to not even bother getting the hell out of there after robbing a dude.
  4. pokler

pokler

Oh well then that's different. When he gets fired from his 250k job and not able to replace that income he can just tell his employer he was TOFTT and they will immediately reinstate him .
  5. Banacek

Banacek

What is the likelihood that this was the first time she ran that scam? Probably others out there met similar fate but were afraid to call the cops.
    News story makes it sound like they were hooking up from a dating site, but more likely was BP or CL provider ad.
    Newsday also appeared to make a typo as they spelled her last name Shepherd in the article link, but Sheperd in the story. Typical sloppy Newsday reporting.
    Tried searching on her name for photo to match up with BP ads, but too many possibles. May someone on here met up with her and will come forward.
  6. Mikeinli

Mikeinli

He was toftt
    Banacek likes this.
  7. pokler

pokler

Thanks bb00 but he has himself to blame for not doing research first on UG .
  8. blackback00

blackback00

Hey guys I saw this in the news today... Just wanted to post it as a reminder to stay safe out there.
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...here-she-and-pals-steal-man-s-cash-1.10774386
    For those without news day. Here is what's in the artical.

Cops: Man's online date robbed him at motel

August 25, 2015 BY ELLEN YAN
    He had a date with Destiny that went bad Tuesday, Suffolk police said.

The victim, a 30-year-old man from Huntington, answered an online ad from Destiny Sheperd, 21, of Central Islip and arranged a rendezvous for that night at the Rodeway Inn in Huntington Station, police said.

"It was their first time meeting," said Det. Sgt. Scott Welshimer of the Second Precinct.

But about 3:30 a.m., she called or texted three male friends who were nearby, he said.

"They come in, they threaten him and they take his money," Welshimer said.

They took $400 from him, and after the victim fled the room, he called police, Welshimer said.

The four were still in the room when officers arrived, the detective said: "I don't think they thought he was going to call the police."

Sheperd, of 81 Vanderbilt Ave., and her three friends were each charged with second-degree robbery and are expected to be arraigned Wednesday, police said. The three men are also from Central Islip: Timothy Clark, 21, of 9 Ash St.; and Gerone Garcia, 20, and Mario Malpica, 21, both of 6 Willow St.

Welshimer declined to name the website but said detectives are looking for similar ads there and anything else that is suspicious.

Online daters should be careful arranging face-to-face encounters, he said. "We recommend they meet people in public places, until they're sure who it is they're meeting, for their own safety."
  9. genius

genius

You are correct. I knew of a high level town official and for example he used to use the fire marshal to close down places that he got complaints on - very useful for nightclubs that were above the legal occupancy allowed. Would get them for that and also for whatever other violations such as exit light bulb burned out, exit doors blocked, improper tags on fire extinguisher - you get the idea. Also works for strip clubs although they usually didn't get them on legal occupancy laws.

Too bad the club owners are smart enough to follow my "break only one law at a time" and if they are going to illegally pack a place or offer other services the neighbors don't like make sure all the easy to fix chicken shit stuff is taken care of - would save them a lot of money.
  10. popeye363

popeye363

I'm not saying it's the case here, but towns often use building codes to deal with sex-oriented public nuisances. Sometimes the police don't respond to citizen complaints promptly enough. Sometimes the complaints come into the town instead of the police, because the citizen thinks an elected official will be more responsive. Often it's easier to prove a building-code violation than to catch someone committing a sex-related offense. And there's always the remote possibility that an elected official may see an opportunity for grandstanding. Again, I'm generalizing, with no knowledge of this specific incident, but I think it would be risky to go here any time soon.
  11. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

If the fire marshalls busted it, then it wasn't for prostitution, illegal massage, etc.
    It was for construction oriented violations, like having walls that went all the way up to the ceilings in cubicles.
  12. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

Cool, I'm gonna avoid that area now lol
  13. Cdoggy

Cdoggy

Saw the firetrucks there and left. If i was there 15 minutes earlier would have been awkward. There is a thread about this place. I think the news article may have over exaggerated
    Dschrute likes this.
  14. Dschrute

Dschrute

15. Banacek

Banacek

Sorry, Slinky. Thanks for just a gentle scolding rather than ripping me a new one.
  16. frogger54

frogger54

Slinky... I have posted in this thread not too long ago about something that "might look suspicious"...

I am a pretty paranoid person, so my question to you is: what is the correct thread to ask this type of question?
  17. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Please only post verified busts here. No wild speculation about what you think might look suspicious.
  18. genius

genius

Anyone who doesn't use a burner phone is foolish. The cost for a year including the phone is less than 1 session that you normally take and certainly less than a retainer for a lawyer should this happen to you.
  19. happyandy

happyandy

20. ModernDayCowboy

ModernDayCowboy

I have one of those keypads on my door so I don't even bring my keys in with me. Hide them in the car, lock the car after i close the door from the keypad. I also try not to park in hotel parking lots if it can be avoided.

My paranoia is at a point where I won't see a provider based on their hotel and the location of the hotel in the town.