Life sucks sometimes, it really does...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jp1064, Jan 19, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. jp1064

jp1064

ah...for all those confused...I am NOT Casper.
  2. Casper

Casper

I most certainly did. Been having fun since 12/31/02. But yeah the job market is not so great to say the least.
  3. ryan

ryan

jp that does truly suck. Unfortunately this happens to far too many people..... but hopefully you will find yourself in an enjoyable new position before long. I hope you received a decent severance package with outplacement services available.
  4. jp1064

jp1064

Thanks for all the pick-me-ups folks. I really appreciate it.
  5. Wwanderer

Wwanderer Kids, don't try this at home

Re: who? what? where? which? when? WHY?

Super! I am reassured (for now).

And let's not sweat gender, prefs or other details yet. These things have a way of sorting themselves out in the dark, and I am a flexible soul, if not body. No worries.

-Ww
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  6. Rufus_M

Rufus_M banned

Yo HVB...I know why I am (mostly) (only) lurking...but why you?

RM
  7. h. von bingen

h. von bingen Sharon

who? what? where? which? when? WHY?

neo-luddite-i, i do not have a pda, but you're in indeliably (sp?) on the dance card, but, hell if i'm not a lesbian in my next life, i'm VERY afraid i will come come back as a GUY (let's just hope not shoreguy). either way could you be j-e-n-n-a haze? (if not, dolores haze will do.)

clouds:

not in the next 3 weeks, but this millenium and west of krakatoa.

the wind sits in the shoulder of my sails,
    hvb
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  8. ciscook

ciscook

jp:
    Been down this road 3 times in 9 years. Just hang in there. Do what ever it takes to try and land something. I found out who my real friends were and still are during this time. You never know where or when your next break will arise.
    Good Luck.
    Ciscook
  9. *********

JP best of luck and don't be so discouraged. Think about that insurance commercial with the gent running and screaming through the streets but add a big giant cross and a gait then picture the Man of LaMancha, that's how I feel somedays, if that's any consoliation. In life we have trials and tribulations but never give up hope for a brighter day. Just look up at the morning sun and smile, things will get better and work themselves out in due time.
  10. howardnotstern

howardnotstern

watch it slinky

Rocky III

Reporter: clubber, do you have a prediction for the fight?

Clubber Lang (played by Mr. T): I predict-------pain!
  11. azzure

azzure Vin Diesel

I agree with the pessimists JP, but don't be dis-heartened by macro-economic trends. You are one-of-a-kind! Just look at all the BOZOS that are still employed! All you need is ONE job.

Good luck.
  12. Wwanderer

Re: cloudster

Please be sure to make a note in your PDA that I am in first in line for our next lives; I hate being forgotten.

-Ww
  13. Wwanderer

Economic forecasts (as they are laughingly called)

Imho, anyone who makes any general economic (i.e., regarding the general state of the economy) forecast for a year or more into the future with greater than, say, 80% confidence has not been paying attention to the history of the "dismal science". There are factors a little more complex than the political party of the current occupant of the White House it turns out.

Anyway if any of you really do think you know for sure what the economy is going to be doing 12 months from now, please don't waste any time trying to convince the rest of us on UG of the validity of your insights. Just get busy betting all of your assets on your certain scenario so that you can be disgustingly rich. Then you can throw a big party for all of us, and I will be happy to make the first toast to your abilities as an economic prophet.

-Ww
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2003
  14. hot4chicks

hot4chicks

15. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

To quote some musclebound idiot in some "guy flick".... the forecast is for pain. I agree about the "softpedaling" of the economic outlook. I don't think we've seen much of the potential ruin that there is (it may not materialize, but I don't think the majority of folks in this country have a clue as to how bad it can get if the chips fall in certain ways which are not absolutely unlikely).

And if interst rates rise in any appreciable way, expect some rather extreme results.
  16. Cloud Nine

Cloud Nine I had to open my big mouth.......

Sunnier climes will be fine as long as its in the next week or three, I'm freezing my ass off!!!!

You using a JOP or one of the priests you have seduced.
  17. Dondee

Dondee Herbie, DDS

jp,

I don't know you, but I feel for you. Good luck man! Hope you land on your feet and running at that!

Dondee
  18. h. von bingen

h. von bingen Sharon

cloudster

i am in SEMI-retirement. i can't help my compassionate streak. but i will just shut up and go to my room.

contritely,
    hvb

btw wedding won't be in new york. how do you feel about sunnier climes?

all dressed in black,
    hvb
  19. Cloud Nine

Cloud Nine I had to open my big mouth.......

HvB,

You're making me look like a liar, hon. You're supposed to be retired. Now either go feed the pigeons or change your name, so I dont look so bad.
  20. h. von bingen

h. von bingen Sharon

b boy

thanks for the crx on clamor. your economic analysis is correct. if it sounded as though i thought an economic revival such as that of the mid-90s was around the corner, i didn't mean to do so. i just think that the combination of the (i) currently depleted workforce and (ii) the imminent business the republican convention and other quasi governmental and governmental work projects will bring to the city will result in a bump up in employer needs.

g-d knows i'm no posner, but there seems to be anecdotal evidence of an economic stir. the stories of friends in bellweather (sp?) industries and the fact that my answering machine is 1/2 filled with reponses to resumes sent out months ago make me think something is afoot.

i agree the gov't is trying to softpedal not only this recession but the increasing depths and long lasting effects of a couple of the previous ones. although i am lucky enough to be among the elitely-skilled, i have enough contact with those who are not to know that i have, in my lifetime, witnessed the zenith and near fatal decline of earning power and job stability of the working class. indeed, can the lower middle and middle middle be far behind?

having been poor poor and sorta rich (but always having brains enough to know that i at least had that hedge), i generally take a rudyardesque approach to fortune -- but then i have no biological dependents.

i wish jp well, but i also hope that the current economic climate serves to radicalize some of those who think their place in the american economic landscape is secure.

mother jones,
    emma goldman,
    like that,
    hvb

p.s. (transmitted in a decidedly untesty tone): there was a certain heightened optimism in my note to jp which was intended to inspire hope. it's too bad that a strong need to open with a hackneyed cliche (is that redundant, i think maybe not) and make a somewhat puerile economic analysis of which i was well aware diluted that sentiment. but cyber correspondence does not generally lend itself to thoughtful analysis. (consider the ****** sent in the heat of the moment.) of course, this really does not bother me except to the extent that i ALWAYS hope for better.

not nearly perfect,
    hvb
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2003