Met-Yankee Trade

Discussion in 'New York' started by robnotbob, Dec 7, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. lapdancefan

lapdancefan

The Yankees had a female assistant GM who resigned recently. Their success has been well documented.
  2. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

In the early days of baseball, there was a guy who was traded for some bats and about a dozen baseballs. I read it in John Thorn's book, "A Century Of Baseball Lore."
  3. tomahawk9

tomahawk9

It does matter where production comes from. With replacement level players at the usual power spots (the corners), the Mets would be in good shape. They don't even get that much so the unusual production from elsewhere is wasted.
  4. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

TNS, I wholeheartedly agree. Experience trumps gender equity concerns anytime you want to field a winning team, be it in sports, entertainment, education, or industry. I was in no way condemning your post. I merely wished to point out something that may not be obvious: namely that some women have considerable baseball knowledge, and that they do affect baseball operations on all levels of the game. I do not employ anyone, but I have seen this borne out again and again in mlb, to cite a specific case study.
  5. TuckernotSucker

TuckernotSucker

JM Curry

The spirit of the post was to covey the importance of EXPERIENCE not Gender. In my business, and I employ a few people, our motto is, the best man for the job is a women. However, in certain areas I chose experience regardless of gender.
  6. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

TNS, not to disagree with the sentiment of your post, but do not disparage or underestimate the role that particular women might play in baseball operations in the show. They may not sit on the bench, but they do wield some considerable clout in many pro organizations. Sizing up baseball talent and influencing GM's decision-making processes are not gender specific skills.
  7. TuckernotSucker

TuckernotSucker

LDF

You have a good point there. But I did not see any women manning the Yankees bench and helping them win just a few pennants and a few world series. I saw two Baseball Men, Torre & Zimmer.
  8. lapdancefan

lapdancefan

What Baseball Men Know

All baseball men used to know that baseball players shouldn't lift weights because it would make them musclebound.

All baseball men used to know major league baseball could not survive without the reserve clause.

Apparently it will take baseball women to figure out that run production is not attached to any particular fielding position. You take it where ever you can get it.
  9. robnotbob

robnotbob

Phillips has a real problem. He doesn't know who his boss is. Doubleday/Wilpon is 50-50 ownership and they couldn't decide on what color to paint the men's room at this point. What also came out in Selig's spoeech before the politicians is that the Yanks have $60MM in revenue MORE than the Mets.

It's not his fault he can't move guys. He's been told the payroll can't be increased too much. When Ventura/Zeile hit 50 homers in a year and drove in 170 plus, the light hitting outfield was OK. I think they know they won't get power "from the corners", they're hoping Fonzie comes back to hit 25 dingers and an outfield bat makes sense.

Had they signed ARod last year, the need for power in the OF would not be as great.
  10. TuckernotSucker

TuckernotSucker

LDF

Ridiculous.....
    Its like saying that Good Hitting Beats Good Pitching (also ridiculous). As a Baseball Fanatic, all baseball men know you must get maximum run production from the corners and the outfield. Period. The bonus, the Mets have is a superior hitting catching. Combine him with some other talent and you have a contender.
  11. lapdancefan

lapdancefan

You missed my point, ew

I'm not defending Met management. The lack of results speak for themselves.

I'm just pointing out that certain often repeated phrases make no sense.

I'll bet every baseball fan has heard some announcer say some team needs to get more "power from the corners." It may be true that the team needs to get more power, but it makes no difference what position the people supplying the power play. Nobody hits as a first baseman, a shortstop or anything else. When they are at bat, they are just a hitter.
  12. ew

ew Silver

And thus we see the thinking that has built the Mets.

The fact is the Mets will have a hard time making any moves because they are locked into some contracts with players that are not great trade bait.
  13. lapdancefan

lapdancefan

It doesn't matter what position the player hitting the home runs plays!

Why do the Mets need outfield power? Do you get double runs on homers hit by outfielders?

Of course not. You need home runs to win but it doesn't matter who they come from. If you got 125 homers out of your infield/catcher you could afford to have the kind of banjo hitting outfield the Mets currently have.
  14. Crazyphingers

Crazyphingers

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2001
  15. Crazyphingers

Crazyphingers

The bottom line is the yankees got rid of a DH that they had no real use for anymore for a stop gap third basemen that only has upside.

After all he is replacing the yanks number 8 or 9 hitter in Brosius who had an off year with the glove anyway, so as long as Ventura plays he usually solid D the yanks will be fine.

I too am not fond of replacing Tino with Giambi. Tino was leader who deserved many a gold gloves. The yankees have won the last 5 years with out a 50hr guy, but with pitching and D. I would rather see them keep TIno and get Alou for less money then Giambi costs.

Actually I would love to see them work out a deal for Vlad and call it a day.

I am just glad to be a yankee fan and not a met fan, who's ownership refusses to really do anything to make the team better year in and year out.

Go Yanks!
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy

that should be a bag of used baseballs.
  17. TuckernotSucker

TuckernotSucker

The trade that should be made is Steve Phillips for a bag of baseballs.
    Forget about free agents how about some of the non talent he has to trade, like outfielders that do not hit.
  18. Cheater

Cheater

Mets won't be able to get rid of Zeile- the guy just had elbow surgery. Maybe you can get a bag of baseballs for him right now.
    Great trade for the Yankees, not so good for the Mets. Justice lost speed on his swing last year and I don't think he can generate the power the Mets need. Don't look for any big free agent signings in Flushing - cheap cheap cheap. It'll be another 85-88 win season. Sigh.

Boy, looks like the Mets made the right decision about A-Rod, right (please note sarcasm)? Can we get a bat boy and a bag of baseballs for Ordonez?
  19. robnotbob

robnotbob

Doesnt look like Fonzie wants to move to 3rd. Last year of contract; he's a better 2nd baseman and he among the elite at 2B, whereas at 3rd, he will have average power numbers. I agree about Alomar, but it looks like they'll have to go cheap at 3rd and sign Gonalez.

Boone is a one year wonder I think (see Brady Anderson)

Zeile to third and Tino at 1st I like.

Lawton for Burnitz is done if they want (Dallas Green never liked Burnitz, Valentine loved him at AAA ball). I kinda like Lawton, but Mets need outfield power.
  20. lapdancefan

lapdancefan

First piece of the puzzle for the Mets!

The Justice for Ventura trade is a good one for the Mets. They need to do something to improve their pitiful outfield and sometimes a "challenge" trade like this (it challenges Justice to prove he's not washed up) is just what it takes to make a player productive again.

Next they'll sign Brett Boone to play 2nd base and move Alfonzo back to 3rd. Then, when (not if) the Yankees sign Giambi the Mets will sign Tino to play first. Finally, they'll unload Zeile for what they can get and absorb most of his salary.

This will result in a huge improvement to their pitiful offensive output of 2001. Maybe it will be just enough to dethrone the Braves as NL East champions.

For this thread anyway, sign me

Metfan

P.S. The last thing the Mets need is Barry Bonds. The guy is a cancer in the clubhouse.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2001