Met's and Yankees trades

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by lapdancefan, Dec 14, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. ew

ew Silver

Great hitting?

I don't think that either team can be put in that category.
  2. Look, I know what you mean. But it doesn't get much more nail-biting than this last series. Three ninth inning comebacks? And the outcome shows once again that great pitching can beat great hitting.

The last team before Arizona to win a series with a guy who hit more than 35 home runs was KC in 85, with Steve Balboni. And Luis Gonzalez was hardly a factor here.

I'm not saying I don't like to see the long ball, but I do prefer watching pitching duels. And I certainly prefer pinning my hopes on a great pitching staff... just like you!
  3. ew

ew Silver

Sure but you can only take so much. Tell me that you weren't waiting for an offensive explosion (i.e. two runners on base) from either team in the WS.

I won't say that I can predict every move that is done by managers when I watch the game I don't think that it's rocket science. If I watched the game with a couple of people together can usually think of the same things. I am also the type of person that prefers to be a passive watcher of events so most of the time I don't even try to guess what is going to happen.
  4. C'mon ew, you can't be such a die-hard Yankee fan, in the Torre era at least, and not have an appreciation for strong pitching, low-scoring games and strategy...

And I agree. The Mets are still a few good arms away from the pennant.
  5. ew

ew Silver

Sarcasm people.
    NL baseball puts me to sleep.
  6. lapdancefan

lapdancefan

No Way!

Speak for yourself. And endless succession of 1-0 and 2-1 games? It'd be enough to make me a soccer fan.

An occasional 1-0 game, especially if it's a must game for one or both teams, can be very exciting. But for the long haul I'll take the 5-4 and 8-6 games where the lead changes hands a couple of times.
  7. ew

ew Silver

That's why I'm a American league/Yamkee fan. I always thought the games where more exciting when I was a kid.

And isn't it funny how all the big longball hitters have migrated to the National League. It have something to do with giving the fans a little excitement other than a well-laid sacrifice bunt in the 2nd inning.
  8. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

True baseball fans might love pitching duels, but the masses love the long ball. Someone said the most popular Met ever was Dave Kingman.
  9. ew

ew Silver

But Slinky, it's the National League!

Pitching and Fielding, no DH, pure baseball. True basball fans love those endless 1-0 and 2-1 games.

Don't even get me started on the excitement and startegy involved in the doubleswitch (like they haven't been doing it for a hundred years).
    So yeah it'll be more exciting and they'll probably win more games and draw more fans.
  10. Slinky Bender

Even if they lose every one 10-8, at least they'll be more interesting to watch. How many times can you watch a team that's last in hitting ?
  11. robnotbob

robnotbob

There are gonna be alot of 10-8 games at Shea this year.
  12. JoeyP

JoeyP

They got him to defer (spread oot) his compensation. Gonzalez is a done deal and info was leaked to Vaughn to help him make his decision.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

Re: Mo Vaughn

then he's gonna absolutely hate it here.
  14. Slinky Bender

Did the Mets get him to take a pay cut ? Maybe they made a deal to pay him half his salary in Privilege dollars.
  15. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Mo Vaughn

Word is he was never satisfied with the strip clubs in SoCal :)
    hp
  16. code9x

code9x

I on the otherhand like inter-league play. It gives teams a chance to play teams they will not normally play against, unless they would meet in the World Series. It's also great for bragging rights, I like busting the chops of friends and family who are Met fans. :D

Go Yanks!
  17. tomahawk9

tomahawk9

We see the wisdom in building through the farm system and filling holes through trades (often dealing prospects) and free agency. The telling advantage belongs to the big money team with the best farm system.
  18. Carl M

Carl M Hanging by a thread

Re: Ok...

Hey EW did you cry in sorrow when the Mets won the World Series in 69 and 86, then you definitely are a Met Hater!!
  19. RoosterC74

RoosterC74

Yankees-Mets

As a Yankee Fan for many years-I think it is fairly simple. The Yankees continue to lock and reload for another battle year. They just appear to keep getting stronger and stronger: Clemens, Mussina, and now Giambi.

As for the Mets-they are getting closer and closer. Some good moves over the past few weeks appear to have them on the brink of un-seating Arizona and the Braves.

I am certainly not a Met Lover-nor a Met Hater. However, another Subway Series-certainly is something to look forward to. Oh-that damn excitement.
  20. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I hate Philips