Mexico decriminalizes possession of cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and pot

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ozzy, Apr 28, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. April

April Member<br><color=red> First in war, first in peace

kewl on the mary j tip!

I'm going to Costa Maya, Mexico on a cruise in August.

I was wondering what I was gonna do for 7 days with no smoke!

Still too ascared to test the "waters" with international goverments. I got cajonies but they tend to shrink when I'm out of my element.

Shall I TOFTT?

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. milkman

milkman

canada to the north;mexico to the south.
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Seems like a big fuck you to the admin, but probably a sensical law none-the-less
  4. Ozzy

Ozzy

I guess this is one way to lure them back across the border.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535896/

MEXICO CITY - Mexico’s Congress approved a bill Friday decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and heroin for personal use — a measure sure to raise questions in Washington about Mexico’s commitment to the war on drugs.

The only step remaining was the signature of the president, whose office indicated he would sign it.

Mexican officials hope the law will help police focus on large-scale trafficking operations, rather than minor drug busts. The bill also stiffens penalties for trafficking and possession of drugs — even small quantities — by government employees or near schools, and maintains criminal penalties for drug sales.

The Bush administration had no immediate reaction.

The bill, passed by Mexico’s Senate on a 53-26 vote with one abstention, had already been approved in the lower house of Congress and was sent to the desk of President Vicente Fox for his signature.

“This law gives police and prosecutors better legal tools to combat drug crimes that do so much damage to our youth and children,” presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said.