Microsoft Word HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by badguyy, Jun 28, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

Something to consider if you’re looking to keep your documents on double secret probation, Zoho's Web 2.0 Office.

A review can be found at http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1986519,00.asp

Actual app’s are at http://www.adventnet.com/index.html.

BTW its free.
  2. badguyy

badguyy

Thanks

Thanks mongers for all of your help. From what I have deduced, I will have to password protect each document unless this technologically challenged monger wants to go to what, I would call extremes! At least I now know how to safeguard a copy of a letter to my ATF and use it for my next ATF!! LOL!!!!!!
  3. genius

genius

See if you can get a copy of WORD 97. You should be able to buy it on the web very inexpensively (as in real cheap).

The password feature is invoked when you click SAVE AS, which causes a drop down box (where you type the file name) that also has an OPTIONS button conveniently located right below the SAVE button. Click it and type in a password. Very logical and easy to use as compared to the newer versions.

I still have a copy of WORD97 from past computers that I use on my latest and greatest computers and I see no advantage to the newer versions for general-purpose word processing. I have yet to have problem where I needed a newer version to open a Word .DOC file.
  4. redleg609

redleg609

If you have Winzip, you can password protect compressed files. Or, PGP can help.

from Winzip Help

About encryption and encryption methods
    WinZip's encryption facility gives you a way to protect sensitive documents contained in your archives from unauthorized viewing. The contents of the files that you want to protect are encrypted by WinZip® based on a password that you specify. In order for WinZip to later extract the original contents of the encrypted files, the correct password must again be supplied.

This section gives a general overview of WinZip's encryption facilities. Once you are familiar with this information, you can read about the specifics of using encryption.

Additional or updated information about WinZip encryption may also be available on the WinZip web site at http://www.winzip.com/encryptioninfo.htm
  5. badguyy

badguyy

justbill

justbill redux

Justbill, thanks for your help. It appears as if I will have to use a password on each document. Originally I was hoping that I would be able to use one password to open the whole file with all the documents. Oh well, better than what I had, since I had no protection! If you or any other monger ever discovers how to protect the whole file, I'm still interested. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
  6. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

Maybe 1 of these 2 will help you.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822924/en-us

Protect Document

Use the Protect Document feature when you want to deter users from making unauthorized changes to specific elements of a document.

To protect a Word document, click Tools, and then click Protect Document.

Warning This method is not the most effective method to help protect the whole document because Word does not use encryption when you protect only select elements. For example, field codes can be viewed in a text editor such as Notepad even if forms or sections of a document are protected.

Or

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212135

For more information about how to password protect a document or form, click Microsoft Word Help on the Help menu, type about using passwords in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search to view the topics returned.
  7. badguyy

badguyy

Help

I can't believe that a hobbyist has not come up with a solution or said it can't be done. I know there are many knowledgeable computer mongers lurking out there someplace. Please and Thanks!!! You mongers have an answer for everything so how about this one???????
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  8. badguyy

badguyy

Help

I can't believe that a hobbyist has not come up with a solution or said it can't be done. I know there are many knowledgeable computer mongers lurking out there. Please and Thanks!!! You mongers have an answer for everything in life so how abut this one!
  9. badguyy

badguyy

Rough1 WOOPS..forgot to say

Rough...thanks, but forgot to say that I have MS Word 2000!! I tried it and unfortunately it did not work. Apparently MS word 2003 and 2000s are different. HELP!!!!!!!!! and thanks again to all.
  10. rough1

rough1

Easy in Word 2003

Go to the "tools" dropdown menu, along the top.
    Select "options."
    Click the "security" tab along the top of the window that opens.
    Enter the "open the document" password where indicated.

If you forget, gust go to help and type the word "pasword" like I did.
  11. badguyy

badguyy

Hey computer mongers,

I would like to privatize MS Word so no one can access my documents but me. Does MS Word provide for password protection?? If so, how does one set it up? BTW, I'm computer challenged, so if your answer is yes, please answer in simple English. Thanks in advance for any help.