NYC Visitor Issues--Driving? Where to stay?

Discussion in 'New York' started by PlumpPretty, Oct 29, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. tomahawk9

tomahawk9

The Hudson Hotel on West 58th (?) is a small gem with terrific rates. You'll find several good, more-or-less reasonably priced places along Lexington Ave. behind the Waldorf, which means they are convenient to Grand Central. Among these are the Hotel Inter-Continental and the Marriott East Side.
  2. Been there

Decent place. Breakfast is pretty good, if I remember rightly. Enjoy!
  3. Troutman

Troutman Paste

I've seen it, you should be quite comfortable. Have a pleasant stay!
  4. mr. wonderful

mr. wonderful

While I haven't actually seen the hotel, it has been my experience that all Intercontinental hotels are extremely nice. However, YMMV.

Also to be considered is the Marriot Marquis in Times Square. Very busy hotel in a very busy part of town, so no one will know your business.

Good luck.

MW
  5. PlumpPretty

PlumpPretty

Intercontinental Barclay

Just an update; after all my searching and searching and searching today, I finally decided to give Priceline a shot, and ended up with the Intercontinental Barclay. From what I've heard, not the best 4* hotel in NYC, but the lobby is quite something and the rooms are decent. I do like the location. Although I cannot change this reservation (Priceline is rigid; you bid it, you get it, you bought it), I'd appreciate any comments on this hotel. It is located at 111 East 48th Street.

Warmly,
    Pey
  6. Troutman

Troutman Paste

Why don't you just try the Yahoo travel feature? There are usually a number of fine hotels at very reasonable prices listed there. That's where I first stumbled across the Belvedere. Worth a shot...
  7. pswope

pswope One out of three

If you can get Benjamin for a buck fifty grab it.
    If not, Helmsley NYer(no longer owned by the Qof M) on 42nd,just east of 3rd is modern spacious,centrally and safely located,large enough for you to be inconspicuous,and even before the tourist downturn had rooms for $150.
  8. PlumpPretty

PlumpPretty

Slinky, thanks for your assesments of the hotels I mentioned, and the recommendation for the Dylan. I visited their site, and *of course* the reservation system is down, so I'm not sure of availability. But I like the look of it, and the location sounds peachy.

FW, the Benjamin looks fab--a suite hotel would be fantastic, makes it a lot easier to keep beverages chilled! And of course--no availability for the dates I'll be there. :( I'm guessing something big is happening in NYC the weekend I'll be there; the hotels all have Wed/Thur availability, but Fri/Sat seems to be full or else double the weekday rate.

Right now, I'm kinda-sorta-maybe leaning towards Thirty Thirty, assuming the Dylan doesn't have availability. Ok, so I'm a sucker for a good website and 30-30's is clean and hip (I hate cluttered sites). I'll check with some friends who may be able to scope it out for me before I get there.

--Pey
  9. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Thirty Thirty is in a location that get's just slightly desolate at night, if that bothers you. You might also want to check to see if they are finished whith their renovation, since I've had some bad experiences staying in hotels which were still under construction ( like water being cut off at odd times ). Everythng is brand new, though, and I like the bathrooms.

The Ameritania is a "budget" tourist hotel right around the corner from the Ed Sullivan Theater ( where they tape the Letterman Show ). Slightly "cheesy", but not terrible ( although a recent renovation was supposed to have improved that ).

The Marcel is the furthest from mid-town, and least accesible for guys who might be looking to take a "lunchbreak" to visit you from their mid-town offices. of the three, it's in the most "residential" location.

Did you try the former Chemist's Club ( now Dylan Hotel )? Really nice rooms and lobby, small but not too small, convenient location near Grand Central (so close you could take the train in and walk ).
  10. fallenwoman

fallenwoman

Pey:

had a friend in town last week who stayed at the "Benjamin" hotel which is usually $$$ or more and they got it for $.5 and it has EVERYTHING!!!! Really cool hotel...check it out!! Maybe it's not for you, but Hey! and GOOD LUCK!!!

lots of luv,
    FW
  11. PlumpPretty

PlumpPretty

How about....

Hi Troutman and crew,

Thanks for the advice re: driving.....I spoke to a few friends who basically said the same thing.

The Belvedere looked fab, but they don't have availability for the time I'll be there. Loew's I couldn't find, and money is something of an object (I'm not exactly the PSE $500/hour 8 clients/day type) so the Pierre is out.

I have a real attraction to the smaller, funky stylish hotels that seem to sprinkle New York. If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love your opinions on any or all of the following:

Thirty Thirty
    Ameritania Hotel
    The Marcel Hotel

Granted, I realize these won't have the amenities more common to the larger chain hotels, but I really like the retro look these all seem to have. Plus, they actually have availability for the days I'm looking for. (Seems most everyone is sold out for the fri/sat I plan to be there).

Warmly,
    Pey
  12. Troutman

Troutman Paste

Interesting, when the old mayor couldn't even stay there himself...
  13. GreenDot9

GreenDot9 Guest

Maybe the new Mayor will let you stay at Gracie Mansion
  14. Troutman

Troutman Paste

I've always found the Belvedere to be most accomidating, quite comfortable, and they're connected to an incredible brazilian steak house. Very reasonable rates, too, if you book it through Travelocity. Also, I like Loews on the East Side. I don't think it's called that anymore, but it's still a great place to stay. However, if money's no object, go to the Pierre.

Driving will suck wherever you go. Just take your time, take it easy, and ignore the assholes blowing their horns and shouting obscenities at you.
  15. PlumpPretty

PlumpPretty

Hey Folks!

I am finally returning to NYC after 6 months away, and am in dire need of some advice. Previously, I always stayed at the Marriot WTC, which was an easy drive from New England. Sadly, that hotel no longer exists. :(

I know everyone has differing opinions on what areas to stay in, and many gentleman prefer visiting ladies stay out of the city altogether. However, I prefer to be right in the city.

I'm not looking for specific hotels, but rather general areas that are easy......er, rather, the easiest (I know driving in the city stinks right now) to drive to from New England. I always had a hard time driving into the city anyway, and now with the myriad of street closings, I'm sure I'll become even more lost. I also want someplace that is going to be easy for my clients to find and get to.

I did a couple of searches for this information on the board, but came up blank. If there is a post that already covers this, please just point me in the right direction. Ditto any websites that give up to date driving info for the city (I remember hearing somewhere that the closings varied from day to day). Please also feel free to email me (plumppretty@aol.com) if you'd prefer not to post here.

Thanks a bunch!!!!
    Pey