Of all things to catch from a lady...

Discussion in 'New York' started by Othello, Jul 25, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Kelly Sweden

Kelly Sweden

Thanks alot, for the tips on this anti-virus stuff, have a great day!
  2. Othello

Othello

I'm Cured!!!

Follow the earier perezj post to access anti-virus site. It's the "SirCam" virus.

If any of you ladies have any trouble getting innoculated or "putting it in", this "Doctor" does make "housecalls"...

Best regards,
    "Othello"
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Kelly Sweeden - As mentioned, you have to update your virus definitions periodically. It's hard for any av program to detect viruses that haven't been written yet.
  4. perezj

perezj

5. Kelly Sweden

Kelly Sweden

Norton Anti-Virus

I have recieved it at least 15 times now.

Can someone explain to me why my Norton anti-virus did not detect anything. Is my anti-virus program no good?
  6. neversoft

neversoft

ROFLMAO

Your so right, ew...thank god they all don't keep records, or I would have gotten it more than the TWELVE times I already have!
  7. ew

ew Silver

Don't worry, no providers keep records so the email from their non-existant address book could never be infected.
  8. mcheck57

mcheck57

The Worm

What a coincidence.. immediately after reading the posts I got it in the mail. I deleted it. Apparently our "friend" monitors UG

[Edited by mcheck57 on 07-25-2001 at 11:11 PM]
  9. Othello

Othello

Staying together during this time of "crisis"

It's not important how I received the virus. A lot of folks ask for my "advice". In fact, a woman called to inform me that I may have been "virusized". I thank her for the "heads up". I'll probably receive a "concession" when I next see her. And think-- it really will be a GFE. We'll have this most recent crisis to talk about.

Calamities like this bring us all closer!

Best regards,

"Othello"
  10. Kelly Sweden

Kelly Sweden

Othello, Well it Looks Like I Got it Too!

Hi Othello,
    Well it looks like I got the same bad email, but my computer couldn't open it. I did check it before hand with the Norton Anti-Virus and it said there was no virus detected, but for some reason my computer couldn't open it.

I don't understand the senseless cruelty behind screwing up someones computer. There are some real nasty folks out there.
  11. Rtyler

Rtyler

Othello

This has been going around for over a week now. DO NOT open any attachment via email. Even from email addy's of people you are familiar with something like Re: "please give me your input on attached" or "I need your help with this document" Just delete it.
  12. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Keep on laughing Jenni, but stop when you meet me, LOLOL
  13. Jennfdggg

Jennfdggg

Hi Bill :)

I think ~Kelly~ might have posted about the same one on TBD. She's in Florida. Bill, i'll meet you yet :)
    Thanks for all the laughs you send me.
  14. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

He probably didn't even know his computer had the virus. Hi Jenni!
  15. Jennfdggg

Jennfdggg

I received at least 5 of these

Thank God i didn't open it. The sad part is i wrote the poor guy back swearing him up and down! He wrote back, of course, totally clueless that he passed the file on to me. I feel terrible i tell ya . . . :)
  16. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Could be anybody, so knowing who Othello got it from won't help. It is the "SirCAM" worm virus, and once someone getsit, the virus sends itself to other people in that person's address book ( so you could get the email from anyone infected ).

You will get a short email with a Word Doc attached. If you downlaod the Doc, you get the virus. The message ( as othello says ) has a text that reads :

"Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks"

If you open it, you can get a quick fix from Norton's page, which is basically a totally automated form of the fixes offered on all the other antivirus co's pages, which includes changing an entry in the registry, etc.
  17. mcheck57

mcheck57

To protect the rest of us..please let us know who it was.
  18. Othello

Othello

There is a new virus in town! Perhaps you should all update your anti-virus software.

I recently received an email from someone whom I hadn't talked to in months. I thought she "missed me". It was a "strange" message asking for my advice. There was a file attached. Unwittingly I opened it and now I'm on my way to the nearest computer "pharmacist" to buy some "PC-Condoms" to protect myself and others from this recent malady.

Best regards,
    "Othello"