off topic...golf

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by nj george, Jul 14, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

SB: noone knows what Dave Pelz thinks about woods because noone has ever seen Dave Pelz hit a wood. The instructors told us that Pelz suffers from very bad knees and doesn't play much anymore. I think he's a genius who has turned a fanaticism/fetish with data about golf shots into an extremely profitable and well-regarded niche business.

BTW, I've been demoing the new Taylor Made 360 driver -- it's absolutley awesome! The 360 allows me to fly the ball as far as my Titleist 975D hits it. (And don't get me started on the Pro V1 -- fuhgedaboudit!!)
  2. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Something for both the men and the women here to ponder:

The world is run by men chasing their little white balls.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 04:54 PM]
  3. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

HDB,
    So I assume Peltz believes you should chuck all your woods except the driver ?????
  4. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

HDB - I have played Centennial a number of times tho not recently. I started playing there the year it opened (the first 2 nines- the third was still under construction). Haven't played there in about a year. Very nice course except for the fact that walking is not allowed (or practical given the distance between some holes. Uses the tracking system in the carts. All my rounds there have moved fairly decently. 4-4 1/2 hours. Bit pricey considering I have to drive an hour but..... Some interesting holes with some straight uphill. Greens still maturing.
  5. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

Shining one's irons = cleaning their grooves?

Bahuba: Dave Pelz is well known for advocating the use of up to 4 wedges: PW (~48 degrees of loft), SW (~55-56 degrees), Lob Wedge (60 degrees) and X Wedge (62-64 degrees). (Some folks even carry a gap wedge of 52 degrees to fit in between the SW and PW.) Pelz believes you should use the same finesse swing from 30 to 80 yards -- the only difference is the club you use in order to control distance. At the extreme outside of the range, one could make a slightly longer backswing, but Pelz does not want you to use your hands and wrists in the swing -- distance and direction are controlled using the larger muscles of your shoulders and back.
  6. Slinky Bender

"I have this habit of shining my irons"

Considering the topic matter of this board, that has to be a euphamism for something.
  7. Luciano

Luciano

I keep just 14 clubs... Or 15, now.

The other day I was looking for an "X" wedge (which I think is 64 deg.) and the salesman said, "Oh you're a Dave Pelz guy". ????. HDB maybe you can shed some light on that one.

One thing I can't live without is a brush and towel. I have this habit of shining my irons... Maybe thats a freudian thing.

HDB I will try that course.
  8. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

...or how about the bag length plastic tubes that keep your clubs organized and sliding in and out nicely?
    hp
  9. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

HP: you forgot that stupid plastic tube in which you put water so that you can clean your ball by rubbing the tube's foam cover against the ball. Jay-zus!

My personal peeve is with guys who keep on their bag all of the bag tags from the different courses that they have ever played. These bozos don't realize (or care) that they make a heck of a clinking racket when they walk up behind you just as you're trying to hit a delicate shot from a tight lie to a tough pin position.

Bahuba: I was at Centennial Golf Club in Carmel, NY yesterday. Although I did not go out on the course (I was there for a Dave Pelz 1-Day short game clinic), a few of the guys said that it is an extremely good track -- well maintained, challenging, and run extremely professionally. It has outstanding practice areas and, unlike most daily fee courses, has real grass on the practice tees (i.e., no hitting from mats). It's about an hour from the Upper East Side.
  10. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

HP - I can live with all of those except -

the iron covers. Don't ask me why.

How about the 3 wood that is a beverage dispenser.

But my biggest pet peeve. It should be a law that if you don't fix your ball mark and one other you are kicked off the course. Especially on public courses. Of course if every just fixed their own you wouldn't have to fix one other.
  11. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Fooled around with a Wilson Deep Red driver yesterday and was getting 20 more yards off the tee, and its legal!
    Hey SB, what about those guys that carry a telescoping ball retriever, an outside the bag putter holder, covers on all their irons, a cool little organizer for tees, balls, pencil and scorecard AND one of those guaranteed chipper clubs?
    take care HP
  12. Slinky Bender

"I still keep the hawkeye in the bag, just in case"

You're not one of those guys who carries 25 clubs in their bag, are you ?? ( Four putters, three drivers, 7 "specialty" clubs that you find on TV at 4AM.....).

If it was really hot out in the middle of the summer, I used to break out a the canvas bad and just play with a Driver, 3, 5, 7, 9 and putter.

[Edited by slinkybender on 07-15-2001 at 11:36 AM]
  13. Luciano

Luciano

Now I can't go pro!!

ERC II is approved by the R & A, but is not approved here. Don't worry, I won't play any tournaments with it considering my H is 34. I just have it for fun, and no course in DC or Virginia has had an issue with it yet. I still keep the hawkeye in the bag, just in case.

Bethpage black and Crystal Springs sound way too intimidating if they are busy, nothing like queuing up on a Par 3 and having everybody watch your balls drink; I am thinking I will rent a car and go out to one of the farther NJ ones described above.

thanks for the suggestions!
  14. littleguy

littleguy Gold

SC,

I DID notice that, but ANY carry over water is intimidating for that high a handicap. I was just speaking in relative terms. And yes, it IS more intimidating if anybody's watching.

ERC II - correct. But I live here in the U.S., not somewhere else.

Ozzy - SC's correct. I don't have all the details but I might be surprised if the Black were open to anybody in calendar year 2002 except maybe for practice rounds by the Pros and maybe a few tournaments. Meanwhile, this year and even last year the Black has opened later and closed earlier in the year to give it more "rest" than usual, but it HAS been open.
  15. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

LG

NJG said he was a 40-50 handicapper and at that level the approach at 18 at Caledonia with people watching can be quite intimidating.

The ERC II has not been approved by the USGA but I believe it has been approved by the Royal & Ancient.

Oz - Black was closed while they built new tee boxes etc. but it is open now and will be till about a month or two before the Open. It is my understanding that all 5 courses will be closed for about 1 month before the Open while they set up staging areas, corporate tents, concessions etc. I know places like Crystal Springs and other facilities are already getting tee time requests for May and June 2002.
  16. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

I believe it reopened to the public on June 10.
    HP
  17. Ozzy

Ozzy

i thought the black was closed for a couple of years to the public because they were preparing it for next years us open.

[Edited by Ozzy on 07-14-2001 at 07:28 PM]
  18. Carl M

Carl M Hanging by a thread

Here is a good Tip....

In more ways than one. When going to any State Park Golf Course. Go there the day before and tip the cashier/starter $10-20(These guys make like $6-8/hr and tell him you want to play the next day. My friend used to work at Sunken Meadow, they do it all the time!

[Edited by Carl M on 07-14-2001 at 07:25 PM]
  19. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

LG,
    Id make a special trip to NYC if anything "special" could be arranged
    take care HP
  20. littleguy

littleguy Gold

HP,

Yeah, blow the starter. Just kidding.

Actually I haven't played the Black in at least a year and I'd love to play it before they close it.

I'll ask some of the guys in my club. Actually, a couple of them play with the "Player's Club" (men's club at Bethpage). Maybe they know if there's anything special to do other than simply calling up the reservation system.

Maybe I'll play around with you. Errrrr, that's play a round with you, of course. (grin)

[Edited by littleguy on 07-14-2001 at 07:15 PM]