One Gurl's Opinion-What's Yours?

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Miss Brienne, Apr 21, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Amber Jewel

Amber Jewel

Many women have been sexually abused

My experience is anecdotal, but from discussions I have had with many female friends, both providers and non-providers, I have come to believe that a large number of women in all walks of life and in every socioeconomic group have been sexually abused. Given the high incidence of sexual abuse, I'm not sure that it occurs more often with providers than with civilians.
  2. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

I'd probably claim that you fucked yourself...

(Not that it isn't appreciated.)
  3. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Yes ... or the "I'm not gonna end up like those old hookers who don't have a pot to piss in. I'm also going to (you fill in the blank) school so I have something to do when I'm done with this" conversation.....
  4. Miss Brienne

Miss Brienne

interesting..
  5. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

For about the past 5 years or so.
  6. justme

Re well constructed study: agreed.

However, absent a study with very good methodology, I tend to believe the ones that most mirror my anecdotal experience. So given a lot of my conversations with sex workers, it's not hard to believe that they are more likely to have been sexually abused.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything - nor does an ill designed study. Together, they still don't prove anything. I'm not settled on the issue, but I know which direction I tend to believe.

IF my only two choices were scrubbing filthy toilets for minimum wage, or geting $300 an hour to have sex with people who I didn't want to have sex with, I'm not sure I wouldn't choose the second.

So you're saying you have a history of abuse (sfsf).
  7. Slinky Bender

Part of the problem is how you define "sexual abuse". like a lot of the groups out there with various agendas, how you define the subject gives you startlingly different results. For example, with sexual harrasment, it's defined as any unwanted sexual advances. As such, it's easy, after the fact, to call advances either "sexual", "unwanted" or both (or even "advances"), so if you define your definitions and "study questions" just right, probably 99.9 percent of women have been sexually harrassed.

While "sexually abused" is a step farther, it's along the same arc. I can't say I have any figures to disagree with MissB, but I will say that I wight think it's a but higher than that, BUT it really depends on exaclty what group you're talking about: Every single working girl in the world? If so, you're going to be adding in a very high percentage of young girls in third world countries, which will skew the results if you try to apply them to interent based working girls in NYC. Even if you limit it geographically to NYC, if you inlcude streetwalkers and fast house girls, the numbers will probably be skewed in the same direction, if not tot the same extent. OTOH, if you only took the group of AMP workers who started when they imigrated to the US in their 30's and never did any sex work in their native countries, I'm not sure what the results would be.*

To go another route entirely, if you were to take the group of professional submissives, what do you think the percenntage would be?

Finally, for whatever group you choose, you need to take the number and compare it to what the same number is for all women in a similar group (i.e. same socioeconomic, etc. population of non-working girls) as a control. Even is the number is high, if it's close to the same number for the control group, is it meaningful? For example, there was an article posted here recently which was writeen by a woman who is part of the "no prostitution is consentual" movement. Her first (or one of her first) studies was of 130 working women in San Francisco. Although Post Traumatic Street Disorder is not a "disease" and not directly testable, there are a number of common items which are considered to make up the syndrome. The author showed that a high percentage of the group she studied showed amny of the signs of PTSD, and her conlcusion was that prositution causes PTSD. What she didn't do was a control of similar women who were not prostitutes. The population she used were mainly homeless street prositutes. If you look at similar studies of homeless women in general the amount of PTSD symptoms are surprisingly similar. So is it really that the causation of those PTSD symptoms are the "prostitution" of those women? It's certainly not proven by her studies/claims.

Laslty, I do agree with jl and jm if what they are trying to say is that many working women will scoff at the idea that most/all prostitutes have a history of sexual abuse, when they had some themselves.

OK, that should have been "next to last"...... I think that there are people in other lines of work where they are being paid highlly to do things that they really don't want to do who suffer similarly, but we look at it differently simply because there is sex involved and we still live in a somewhat Puritanically mindsetted society. IF my only two choices were scrubbing filthy toilets for minimum wage, or geting $300 an hour to have sex with people who I didn't want to have sex with, I'm not sure I wouldn't choose the second.
  8. Miss Brienne

Miss Brienne

Cindy, once again...this was NOT MY STORY. I do appreciate you briefin' us with yours though ;)

Justme-I am sure that would be 70%....just don't discredit the remaining..
  9. justme

I wonder how many of us have had a variantion on that same conversation.
  10. cindyq11

cindyq11

Well, Miss B, did not go about it like you did. When I started, it was the only thing I knew how to do.
    But getting into it, and others getting into me, and later it was a trememdous ego boost, began thinking better of myself, and finally, of all intents and purposes, decided to go to school.
    If I had the normal upbringing, family, school, and quick marriage, I doubt, if I would ever have gone as far as I have.
    Not ashamed of my past. No, not all.
  11. flabbergasted

flabbergasted

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I tried to edit my post afterwards but the time expired.
  12. Miss Brienne

Miss Brienne

MrFlabber, this is NOT my story, just one I took interest in and found it might be made for a good discussion.

I am still living my story. I assure you it would be told differently than the lady mentioned above.
  13. sunraider7

sunraider7

The grass isn't always greener,...

"For # of years of my life, I was a" trick..."I lived and breathed sex during that time"....I've spent thousands on sex for sale.

Same sing song for many hobbyist but with a different tune. If your'e under the assumption that ever trick/hobbyist procures sex just for the thrill of it, that is not necessarily the case. There are some, like myself, who have a difficult time establishing a "straight/vanillia" relationship with a woman for various reasons (i.e., post traumatic vets, survivors of abuse, etc.), and rely on providers to assuage their needs.
  14. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Secret Lives of Women airs different episodes each Tuesday night at 10PM. I checked their schedule and the sex trade segment aired April 11th. They seem to rotate their spots so I imagine it will come back around in the next month or so.

You can check our their schedule here:
    http://www.we.tv/section?CID=key=2&view=day&monthOffset=0&day=11&tzOffset=0

Or by clicking on schedule on the top of their pages
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  15. Slinky Bender

Is there any way to watch these episodes?
  16. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

LOL...Flabbergasted, I don't think that was Miss Brienne's story, she just posted it for our edification.

Miss B. it is hard for me to have an opinion since I cannot possibly relate to what some women goes through emotionally in this biz. I have met providers who told me they hate their jobs and others who seem to love it. You've got those in the middle somewhere too, so it covers the whole spectrum. I suppose that a more in-depth study would uncover each womans backstory a bit more and would shed some light as to why different woman come to different conclusions about working in this biz.

Take a look at Pandora's story and see how inconsistent it is from Erin's.
    http://www.we.tv/article?CID=key=714&tzOffset=0
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  17. flabbergasted

flabbergasted

I did see the show and post about it in one of the thread. She came from a strict Asian family and everyting she did was ahainsy her upbringing. She didn't mention anything about being abused when she was younger and she actually changed her mind about working during the filming of the show. Ms. Brienne, now that you are out of the business, stop looking back about how you lost the two years and move on.
  18. April

April Member<br><color=red> First in war, first in peace

I think it's an open and honest look into one woman's experiences. I commend her for it and wholeheartedly agree with her statements to a degree.

I myself was not personally sexually abused, I was very promiscuous at an early age though. 14

I do however agree that there are many women out there who have been and a lot wind up in this industry for one reason or another.
  19. justlooking

justlooking

I always think about this time I was walking to dinner with this prostitute and I told her I thought there was a high correlation between sexual abuse and entering sex work. She strongly disagreed. She then told me about how she had been abused when she was in her early teens.
  20. justlooking

justlooking

I actually sorta disagree. My big complaint about the portrayals of prostitutes in the entertainment media is that they make it seem like most prostitutes are above-average looking, even like prostitutes are usually really attractive or even beautiful. We all know that's far from the case.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006