Ooops.......

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Slinky Bender, Dec 31, 2000.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Another thread that touches on professionalism. I was always tought to apologize for being up to five minutes late, call ahead if you're going to be more than five minutes late, and offer to reschedule (at the other party's convenience) if it's going to be more than 1/2 hour.
  2. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

fletch,
    I have no problem walking away and not paying a dime if your time isn't being respected. Hell, I've walked out on appointments with some of the most famous doctors in NYC when they showed that they had no respect for my time. There's a famous Nose/Ear/throat guy on Second Ave just North of 14th Street who books you for 9AM and you can sit there for 2 - 3 hours before you see him. Had I known that, I wouldn't have even set up an appoinment. As it is, I walked after 45 minutes.

If I have an appointment with ANYONE, after 20 minutes I feel I have the right to cancel and go elsewhere if they haven't lived up to the appoinment. Hell, when someone has an appoinment with me, it's cancelled if they are more than 20 minutes late ( and they really have to squirm to set up another one ).

However, it's not always that. Sometimes there are things no one would know about which might change things. For example, a friend of mine recently playeds me a voice mail message from a fairly prominent indy. The sound of her voice was like nails on a blackboard to me. What if I set up an appointment only thru emails, and when I got there...............
  3. fletch

fletch Voice of Reason

There are some cases where I wouldn't pay anything and just leave.

I saw a girl who was visiting from Miami. (This was only for a one hour appointment.) I get to her hotel at the appointed time and she isn't there. Two phone calls to the agency (the Miami agency, mind you) and thirty minutes later she arrives. When we get up to her room, she basically ignores me for about another thirty minutes while she unpacks, makes phone calls, showers, etc.. When the session finally did get underway, it completely sucked (no pun intended).

So that's why I originally said it would depend what you meant by "just isn't working". If I came across another situation like that, I would have no problem with just walking away.

[Edited by fletch on 01-07-2001 at 10:19 PM]
  4. Slinky Bender

rufus,
    Firstly, very few ladies collect their fee up front, so I'm not so sure about that "likely to leave the session fully paid" if she calls it quits early. Secondly, it's one thing for a guy to say "you're not what you promised from seeing your ad" and walk out, perhaps only leaving his deposit, but what does a lady do ? Take one look and say "Well, I expect a cetain degree of loathing, but you're just too much of a pig for me to be with, so get lost ?". How many guys would take that the "right way". Don't you think that there is some chance that this would cause some sort of problem, and perhaps a big one ? As Jen says, you can use the "I'm not felling well" excuse, but most guys will still press the issue.

Just to be clear, I meant ( in that last post ) a "problem" if the lady didn't think things were "going well" for one reason or another and wanted to end it early, that it is more of a problem than if a guy had the same thing happen. To beat his dead horse a little more.....A guy schedules a three hour appointment. After 15 minutes, he knows it isn't right for one reason or another. He could certainly hand over one hours fee and say "You know, this just isn't working for me" and call it quits. The lady may not like it, but there's not exactly a lot she could do about it. And I don't think there are too many who demand a deposit of three hours fee for a three hour appointment ( and if a bunch did, I think it might effect how much business they got, since I don't think a lot of guys would tollerate that ). Now, the guy would be out the $$$ for the first hour, and would be disappointed, etc. The lady would also be "out" to some extent in that she had booked out a substantial portion of time which she probably would have a lost day/half day/whatever.

Now, take the other situation: After the same 15 minutes, she realizes that it "just isn't going to work". She has to either make up some excuse, or take some risk by being offensive. She also has to ( yes, I think she really has to ) return every nickel the guy gave her, and she still doesn't have a "replacement date".

Now, if you are talking about the situation where the guy knows it isn't going to work after the first 15 minutes, but sticks around for the whole three hours and pays, but then doesn't feel that he got his $ worth, well then you are right. But I guess those are the same people who know they hate a movie, but insist on sitting all the way through it because they paid their $9.50.

This does bring up the issue of "is it ethical to leave a three hour appointment after 15 minutes and only pay for 1 hour". I guess my anwer is that the first time in your life it happens, yes, but if it was happening on a regular basis I would say that you have a problem.

[Edited by slinkybender on 01-07-2001 at 01:54 PM]
  5. Rufus Moses

Rufus Moses

Given the gal is likely to leave the session fully paid, and the guy is likely to leave the session feeling like he didn't the quality experience he expected...how do you figure that?
  6. Slinky Bender

Hi Jen....................I missed you........................

Anyway, part of the problem is that some ladies are requiring two or even three or four hour "minimums". I actually see this as more a problem for the lady than the guy if things don't go well.
  7. SexyJen

SexyJen

Well... I think that a client should always give it an hour. If you're still uncomfortable, let them know how you feel -OR- a polite "not feeling well" excuse is a tactful way to go. But I can't speak from experience since this has yet to happen to me.

I do think that it's unwise to book a multi-hour appointment when first meeting a lady.

Hugs and Brownies,
    Jen
  8. Ozzy

Ozzy

never ever prepay.......

see HON horror stories.
  9. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Well I think that all depends on whether or not you've prepaid.
  10. Ozzy

Ozzy

never book a multi hr appointment unless your sure.

second....always go all out those first fifteen minutes to make it work..... i've had a few who didn't seem into it when we first met. but after i turned on the old ozzy charm, they were all smiles. ;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  11. fletch

fletch Voice of Reason

It would depend entirely on what you mean by "things just are not working".
  12. Slinky Bender

So, you've booked a three hour appointment. Within the first fifteen minutes, you realize that things just are not working. What do you do ????????