Ozzy's cable tv

Discussion in 'New York' started by rogue, Jun 21, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. JohnJ

JohnJ Repentant Sinner

to P or not to IP

2. rogue

rogue

thanks for all the info...the biggest concern is if your visits to web pages show up on you cable bill-
    if you clean out your cookies,temp cache file,history etc after you are done,for the casual observer-ie wife,girlfriend-you should be ok...but here's a thought-a thread on how to cover your tracks if you use the home computer-evidence eliminator being taken for granted..
  3. Ozzy

Ozzy

i log on to everywhere except tbd from my home computer. it basicaly what slinky said. on my cable modem my ip changes every 24 hrs....

however.... tbd or UG or any site, can trace my ip and find out that ....

1. i log on thru road runner/time warner.

2. what name that RR/TW cable acount is under.

does that clear everything up? now if you have aol,mindspring ,att ect......you will have the same situation.

thats why if you use a dial up...then use an anonomys one like the free ones where you don't have to use your real name, since you don't have to supply a credit card. when allen gets back you should ask him since he's the one with all the know how when it comes to this shit..
  4. JohnJ

JohnJ Repentant Sinner

white paper: static-ip/dynamic-ip/cable/dsl

I'm not sure about other places but I know for a fact that Cablevision of Long Island issues dynamic IP address upon logon. In addition to that bandwidth is indeed shared by your neighbors and yourself, hence it’s quite easy to get on your neighbors hard drive after a few simple router commands. Cablevision says it places NAT (Network Address Translation) software hardwired within some of their new cable modems.

DSL varies by provider. Some give static some give dynamic. I know my dsl is a static one. The only way someone can trace route my IP address is if they know in which direction to head (Ex. a web site off my personal computer) presuming no firewall software/hardware solution in place. The only real other way of finding it is to ping over 4 billion addresses and look to see if that’s the right one. Easiest solution... buy a small router such as a LinkSys Router and let that do Network Translation in a hardware solution (much safer than software)

John J
  5. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

I believe what Ozzy was refering to is that if you are on some "fixed IP" setup ( when you use a dial-up, you get a "dynamic IP" - it changes each time you log on - but Cable, T1, etc. have a fixed IP address ) that it leaves you more susceptible to hacking and tracing of your personal info. As a result, I believe he suggested using some annonymizing software to sheild yourself.
  6. rogue

rogue

Let me get this straight-because I think you've given many a heart attack-is the reason you don't log on from your cable at home due to the cookies,etc-or becuase in some strange way,the places you go show up on your cable bill?