PBS Frontline on Sex Slaves

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dox, Feb 8, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. LARRYDARRELL

LARRYDARRELL

Only those who do not monger know of such girls.

They know this because the TV told them it was so.

We who monger ask and do not find.

Side note: yes the very rare single cases do exist or have happened but that is not what these stories tell you. They take these very rare single cases and put them with other sex exploitation cases or non-related or made up stories and tell you it is this BIG "SEX-TRAFFICKING" or "SEX-SLAVE" issue when in fact it is myth building for the purpose of gaining your attention (rating$ or budget$ being allocated).
  2. frog

frog

Sorry I started the other thread. I had looked but did not see that story here. In any case, I have always been a little wary of this and try to look for signs of girls being kept against their will. I am fairly sure though that I have never seen any girls who were captives.
  3. LARRYDARRELL

LARRYDARRELL

99% of the "sex trafficking" stories I have come across are bullshit.

Half truths married with half lies, merged with unrelated true stories or the odd single case of one person or persons committing such a crime, repackaged with the sensationalized tile of "sex-slavery" or "sex-trafficking".

Yes the problem exists but I have never come across a well built story of sex trafficking in this country.

Not NBC/MSNBC or ABC. I have not seen the PBS Frontline story yet so I can't comment in that.

Read this short article labeled "sex slavery", "sex trafficking" from ABC

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1596778&page=1

that is really a kidnapping and gang rape committed by two thugs, but for the purposes of selling a story they want to sell it is labeled "sex slavery" or "sex trafficking".

Many of you think you have seen well build stories on this subject but I doubt you have.

Single cases of sex exploitation is not sex trafficking or sex slavery.

It is "sweeps-week" is'nt it?
  4. lamont5123

lamont5123

UG Staff,

You're right about that. That was a stupid thing for Ms. Hughes to say.

And it does seem that Peter played loose with the truth in his opus.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  5. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

It exists, and slate was very careful to say that's not what they werer complaining about. The problem, however, is that just about every single article that gets written about it contains just enough false information as to be of no actual use in understanding the problem. Landesman is a fiction writer, and it does appear that large parts of his work is fiction (I just said that even if a few folks mean that but won't come right out and say it). The other problem is that a large number of the people who are truly interested in helping in this area don't know enough about the realities of what is going on, so they end up meaning well but jst getting played by those who are in one form or another in "the system".

For example, lok at the following statement:

"Donna M. Hughes, a professor of women's studies at the University of Rhode Island and an expert on sex trafficking, says that prostitution barely existed 12 years ago in the Soviet Union. ''It was suppressed by political structures. All the women had jobs.'' But in the first years after the collapse of Soviet Communism, poverty in the former Soviet states soared. Young women -- many of them college-educated and married -- became easy believers in Hollywood-generated images of swaying palm trees in L.A. ''A few of them have an idea that prostitution might be involved,'' Hughes says. ''But their idea of prostitution is 'Pretty Woman,' which is one of the most popular films in Ukraine and Russia. They're thinking, This may not be so bad.'' "

Anyone who really knew anything about the Soviet Union would never make any such statement.
  6. lamont5123

lamont5123

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  7. lamont5123

lamont5123

Slate, notwithstanding, the scourge of sexual slavery is true.

It's been well documented by not only Frontline, but by ABC News' 20/20 and CNN.

Slate's attack on Landesman seems more a personal vendetta.

The bottm line is this:

Sexual slavery exists.

And I dare Slate to come out and say it dosen't.
  8. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

9. lamont5123

lamont5123

Dox,

Yes, here is a link. I apologize because I had the title wrong. It is "The Girls Next Door."

"The Girls Next Door"
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  10. misterrr

misterrr

dox et al.

"QUOTE On the other hand, from what I have seen so far in the couple of forums I frequent, I don't get the sense that the places being discussed on UG are slave joints. Am I being naive, or are those types of places so deep underground that we don't have any visibility to them in UG?"

I do not think that you are being naive and agree with you. In my mongering experience, I do not know about the AMP's as it is often hard to communicate with the talent. However, in some cases, the ones I have been able to talk with have other jobs, one was actually a real estate agent, and others beauticians and a hospital employee. Could they be making up stories as to other jobs, of course, but I doubt it. As to the RMP providers at the MP's that are mentioned on this board, at least in central NJ, I do not believe any of the talent are here under duress. Usually educated from, again, beauticians to teachers, engineers, etc. Many divorced with kid(s) and come and go as they please. I totally believe them.
  11. dox

dox

Mongers' responsibility

I wish this hobby were legalized and regulated, then we can choose to only go to legit brothels where women aren't being held captive against their will. However, in this underground climate, I'd like to propose that us UGers police ourselves and alert each other if we learn that a place is using slave labor. I'm not proposing that we snitch on the place -- but since we all know LE monitors these boards, I suppose they'll take the appropriate action -- but at least those of us with half a conscience would know to avoid the slave joints.

On the other hand, from what I have seen so far in the couple of forums I frequent, I don't get the sense that the places being discussed on UG are slave joints. Am I being naive, or are those types of places so deep underground that we don't have any visibility to them in UG?

BTW Lamont - do you have links to the article you mentioned?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  12. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

Turkish Police

One of these Russian broads tried to escape and went to the Turkish police. Man was that stupid. Never, Ever go to the Turkish police. They just sent her back to her pimp. She's lucky they didn't beat her feet.
  13. lamont5123

lamont5123

Dox,

You know, I wanted to start a thread on this.

But thought it might upset a few folks.

I know from reading an expose on New York and New Jersey Latina-run brothels in the New York Times entitled "The House Next Door" that many of these places use girls smuggled into the country who were told they would be working in factories.

The article was very long. A flap broke out because one the girls interviewed who had been freed, spoke about going to see a movie while being held captive that had not yet been released.

But the rest of her story is true.

And the LE details about the trafficking, from not just Mexico, but Guatamela, Russia and other East European countries really made re-think about the true fates of these providers.

It's sad that some would do this to their own people.
  14. dox

dox

Did anyone see this episode last nite? Makes me wonder how many of us mongers are participating in the sex slave trade.

I've never personally partaken in the Russian scene, but from what I read on the boards the Russian girls discussed in UG don't seem to be enslaved. Of course sexual slavery/human trafficking doesn't originally exclusively from the former USSR countries. Just about all of the girls in AMPs got here through the illegal human trafficking trade. However the girls I talk to all tell me that they knew what they were getting into and all participated in this trade voluntarily, as opposed to the situation depicted in the Frontline piece where many of the girls were literally kidnapped into the business.

It's one thing for us sex addicts participating in a victimless crime (I advocate legalization of prostitution), but I want no part of any slavery business!

In case you're interested, I believe the same Frontline episode will be re-broadcast this Sunday on 13.