Pelosi calls for a House ethics committee investigation

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by justbill_redux, May 8, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

I disagree. Politicians are elected to serve the interests of people who totally disagree with each other. They must function in the in-between, the gray and the conflicted zones. A local politician can afford to be partisan. Those who want to go national must backtrack, re-invent themselves and try to keep the opposites together.

It's a tough job that invites lying, almost requires some form of it. Show me a national politician who never contradicts his record and/or statements and I'll show you a politician who never gets things done.
  2. scoochamenz1

scoochamenz1

as if any of them are clean. politicians are immoral, cheating, lying, lowlife pieces of shit. to say either party is cleaner or less prone to taking bribes is just insane, and the higher up the ladder they are, the more they're probably getting. dems, repubs, all the same scumbags. not to say i'd be any different in their positions. everyone has a price.
  3. klarch

klarch banned

It's not us it's HIM. Until it's a RWer, then it's all of 'em.

Hypocrisy at it's best.
  4. Duckman

Duckman Moderator

I am delighted Pelosi has decided to backtrack and set things right.

Isn't it just possible that this phenomenon is not limited to Samoa and other areas of the country could face the same problem? I don't think the Democrats took that into consideration. And that's the problem with the minimum wage. It makes the assumption "one size fits" all. In a world with variant shades of gray, this law ignores that.
  5. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

Nothing but a bunch of fucking lies from a RW rag I wont use to pick up dog shit.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fending off charges of favoritism, House Democrats say a just-passed minimum wage bill will be changed to cover all U.S. territories — including American Samoa — before it reaches President Bush's desk.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters she has instructed the House Education and Labor Committee to help get the bill changed to "make sure that all of the territories have to comply with the U.S. law on minimum wage."

Her remark Friday followed accusations from Republicans a day earlier that American Samoa, which is not now covered by the $5.15 an hour federal minimum wage, was not included in the law raising the federal pay floor to $7.25 an hour because StarKist has a large cannery in the island chain. StarKist is owned by Del Monte Foods Co., which has its headquarters in San Francisco, Pelosi's district.

"Something is indeed fishy when the federal minimum wage is good for all Americans as espoused by the Democrat majority, yet we exempt a small, in many terms economically struggling island," Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., told colleagues on the House floor last week.

The bill was passed Wednesday by the House as part of the Democrats' 100-hour agenda. The measure included in its coverage another U.S. territory, the Northern Mariana Islands, which had been shielded in the past from the wage law with the help of former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, and GOP lobbyist Jack Abramoff, now serving a prison sentence.

Spokesmen for both Pelosi and Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., the author of the minimum wage bill, said it excluded American Samoa at the request of nonvoting Delegate Eni Faleomavaega, a Democrat who represents the Pacific island territories in the House.

Raising the federal minimum wage would devastate the local tuna industry, Faleomavaega said in a statement last week, noting that American Samoa's economy is "more than 80 percent" dependent on two U.S. tuna processors, Chicken of the Sea and StarKist. Faleomavaega said the Labor Department reviews Samoa's minimum wages every two years.

Source http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt_top.jsp?news_id=ap-d8mkjeso0&
  6. Duckman

Duckman Moderator

Pelosi puts limits on minimum wage increase

Speaking of Pelosi and corruption, she put a limit on the minimum wage increase. No, I cannot directly call this corruption, but it is very, very, very odd. And it rankled a few Republicans who crossed party lines to back her. What happened? A major tuna company in her district was exempted from paying minimum wage to those people working in U.S. Samoa. So, there is one particular US territory that is now not subject to the minimum wage.

Full story ... http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070112-120720-2734r.htm
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy

This is called DISASSOCIATION............ and putting as much space between her, the democratic party and this thief as humanly possible.

As I have previously stated, I have never over all the years of my public service accepted payment from anyone for the performance of any act or duty for which I have been elected

Yeah... the money went into his wife's account.

btw I love this spin...

At the same time, Pelosi sought Thursday to differentiate the Jefferson case from what Democrats have labeled the "culture of corruption" linking the Republican majority and special interests represented by disgraced former lobbyist Jack Abramoff. "The Republicans are all tied together," she said. "Mr. Jefferson is his own behavior, he is responsible for it."

OK... so when a couple of republicans get caught in the "culture of corruption" its a mass conspiracy. But when a few dems get caught they were acting alone. Cept she forgot Harry Reid and his connections to Abramoff.... Nancy, you stupid cunt.
    Last edited: May 8, 2006
  8. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

of a Democrat. Yes thats a Democrat.

WASHINGTON -- Democratic Rep. William Jefferson should be investigated by the House ethics committee, Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said following the second guilty plea from a federal probe of alleged bribery involving the Louisiana congressman.

Pelosi, D-Calif., said at a news conference that she had not spoken directly to Jefferson about the investigation. "But he knows what is going on, and the ethics committee should investigate what is going on."

At the same time, Pelosi sought Thursday to differentiate the Jefferson case from what Democrats have labeled the "culture of corruption" linking the Republican majority and special interests represented by disgraced former lobbyist Jack Abramoff. "The Republicans are all tied together," she said. "Mr. Jefferson is his own behavior, he is responsible for it."

On Wednesday the chief executive of a Louisville-based telecommunications firm pleaded guilty to paying more than $400,000 in bribes to a congressman in a case stemming from the Jefferson investigation.

Prosecutors said Vernon Jackson, 53, funneled money over a four-year period into a company controlled by the congressman's wife in exchange for help promoting his company's technology in Africa.

In January a former legislative director for Jefferson pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting bribery of a public official and conspiracy.

Jefferson has maintained his innocence. In a statement Wednesday he said he "was surprised and disappointed to learn of Vernon Jackson's guilty plea and of his characterization of our relationship. As I have previously stated, I have never over all the years of my public service accepted payment from anyone for the performance of any act or duty for which I have been elected."

Source http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/05/07/news/politics/11_22_035_5_06.txt