Plame flames out......

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by oddfellow4870, Sep 2, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. argleby

argleby

Excellent post, oddfellow. Of course, the fact that the whole "scandal" was phony from the start won't get anything like the headlines the false charges themselves did.

I think the editorial you linked to from the Washington Post is worth putting here:

End of an Affair

It turns out that the person who exposed CIA agent Valerie Plame was not out to punish her husband.

Friday, September 1, 2006; Page A20

WE'RE RELUCTANT to return to the subject of former CIA employee Valerie Plame because of our oft-stated belief that far too much attention and debate in Washington has been devoted to her story and that of her husband, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, over the past three years. But all those who have opined on this affair ought to take note of the not-so-surprising disclosure that the primary source of the newspaper column in which Ms. Plame's cover as an agent was purportedly blown in 2003 was former deputy secretary of state Richard L. Armitage.

Mr. Armitage was one of the Bush administration officials who supported the invasion of Iraq only reluctantly. He was a political rival of the White House and Pentagon officials who championed the war and whom Mr. Wilson accused of twisting intelligence about Iraq and then plotting to destroy him. Unaware that Ms. Plame's identity was classified information, Mr. Armitage reportedly passed it along to columnist Robert D. Novak "in an offhand manner, virtually as gossip," according to a story this week by the Post's R. Jeffrey Smith, who quoted a former colleague of Mr. Armitage.

It follows that one of the most sensational charges leveled against the Bush White House -- that it orchestrated the leak of Ms. Plame's identity to ruin her career and thus punish Mr. Wilson -- is untrue. The partisan clamor that followed the raising of that allegation by Mr. Wilson in the summer of 2003 led to the appointment of a special prosecutor, a costly and prolonged investigation, and the indictment of Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on charges of perjury. All of that might have been avoided had Mr. Armitage's identity been known three years ago.

That's not to say that Mr. Libby and other White House officials are blameless. As prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald has reported, when Mr. Wilson charged that intelligence about Iraq had been twisted to make a case for war, Mr. Libby and Mr. Cheney reacted by inquiring about Ms. Plame's role in recommending Mr. Wilson for a CIA-sponsored trip to Niger, where he investigated reports that Iraq had sought to purchase uranium. Mr. Libby then allegedly disclosed Ms. Plame's identity to ****nalists and lied to a grand jury when he said he had learned of her identity from one of those reporters. Mr. Libby and his boss, Mr. Cheney, were trying to discredit Mr. Wilson; if Mr. Fitzgerald's account is correct, they were careless about handling information that was classified.

Nevertheless, it now appears that the person most responsible for the end of Ms. Plame's CIA career is Mr. Wilson. Mr. Wilson chose to go public with an explosive charge, claiming -- falsely, as it turned out -- that he had debunked reports of Iraqi uranium-shopping in Niger and that his report had circulated to senior administration officials. He ought to have expected that both those officials and ****nalists such as Mr. Novak would ask why a retired ambassador would have been sent on such a mission and that the answer would point to his wife. He diverted responsibility from himself and his false charges by claiming that President Bush's closest aides had engaged in an illegal conspiracy. It's unfortunate that so many people took him seriously.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/31/AR2006083101460.html
  2. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

I would like to publickly honor my ass for the theories that ended up being a lot closer to the truth than the oft reported certainty that Rove was the leaker...

Thank you ass.......
  3. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

All from the global war on terror thread 10/31/2005

Rokin …….

What really disturbs me, and should disturb all Americans, is the attempt to discredit Wilson by outing his wife.

Mine ----

And if your wife was a covert agent, Would you make a point of making yourself a very visible target? Let's face it, the two of them could have cooked up the whole thing to get an investigation going. No, I have no evidence, but it does make sense, more sense than the white house cooking it up. It fits the pattern of the falsified papers that were part of the CBS scandal and other attempts at proclaiming Bush a "liar..."

Rokin

Wow.
    I have to believe that WIlson and his wife would never have dreamed in a million years that a member of our government would have outed a CIA agent.

Tesla

Looks like "the base" is getting nuttier by the minute.

Jras

perhaps the most contrived, desperate bullshit you've pulled outta your ass in a long time

Mine

I'm looking forward to finding out how this really started. Could have been Cheney, the CIA, Rove or Wilson/Plame. It will be interesting to find out. But please note that the panting over Watergate II has been shot full of holes.

Argleby

There never was an attempt to discredit Wilson by "outing" his wife, that's not even what the liberals are claiming. The claim is that Wilson's wife was "outed" to punish him, which is nonsense.

In fact, the intent was to discredit his story by saying that the only reason he was chosen to go to Niger was nepotism (which, btw, is almost certainly true). The so-called "outing" was inadvertent.

And finally, it's clear that Joseph Wilson has been lying steadily for at least two years now (see links below). His story deserved to be discredited.

What really disturbs me, and should disturb all Americans, is that the MSM still treats this clown as a wronged truth-teller when he is, in fact, a demonstrable liar with a political agenda.

Mine

I would say the possibility that someone passed Plame's name around is pretty strong. But at the time, I would also say there is a strong possibility that whoever passed the name was entrapped. Plame sent Wilson to Niger. Wilson eventually made himself a very visible critic of the War. Tounges wag. Who is Wilson? Who sent him? Somebody told me his wife sent him? Who is his wife ?

Rokin

I truly believe that the President, Vice-President and their staff owe the American people an explanation and where appropriate an apology.

Mine

Let's just extend my theory a bit here. Pretend you are in the white house and that you are known to be supportive of a complete overhaul of the CIA. Homeland Security is invading the CIA's truf and there is inter-departmential warfare going on. Some folks in the agency decide they want to take a whack at Bush, so she sponsors him to go to Niger and make Bush look bad. Now, the folks in the white house get pissed, when they see that the agency ends up sponsoring political speech against them. After all, they are in power and Bush is the CIC. They are spending the taxpayers money to run a little dirty tricks operation. Wilson comes back from Niger, issues some initial reports that seem to support the administration's position, then eureka, the Op/Ed, so some lame brain in the white house starts the now famous whisper campaign.

Now the political warfare does not make the actions of the leaker or whisperer right, but my story line is much more likely than the idea that Wilson was lilly white, just minding his own business OR that he was some kind of serious threat, which I don't think he was or is.

Since nobody was indicted for leaking, I am guessing that it was less than a campaign and that Plame was commonly known to be working at the CIA and that the leak was pretty casual, but that it grew. Let's face it, political opposition jumps on these kinds of things.
  4. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14533384/site/newsweek/page/2/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,211578,00.html

http://www.floppingaces.net/2006/08/29/the-plame-affair-has-come-full-circle/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/31/AR2006083101460.html

http://lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=293710

Just in case you didn't have time to mourn the end of yet another attempt of the left to destroy their opponents, I humbly offer these links. I think it might be worthwhile to review what members of this forum said about this affair.....

Turns out to me just another political witchunt powered by an eager press that can't give up its nostalgia for watergate....
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006