Private Info

Discussion in 'New York' started by joehobbyist, Jul 17, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. godfather2b

godfather2b

Hey girl, if I'm not at the meeting call me.
  2. MJC185

MJC185

hmmmmm

Damn, and I was going to ask you to sit on my lap tonight! Of all the luck.

;)
  3. godfather2b

godfather2b

Body2See

Haven't see ya in a while! Need a chaperone tonight?
  4. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

No.

But that's a jagged edge to be walking.

[Edited by slinkybender on 07-19-2001 at 11:36 AM]
  5. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Would the APM really have a problem with a MPD poster as long as none of the manifistations were used to cause trouble?
  6. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Not necessarily. However, there is no evidence that he was a previous poster. Not conclusive of anything, though.
  7. HornDogBuddah

HornDogBuddah

1. If JoeHobbyist is the guy who crashed the LI UG G2G, how did he find out about UG or get the URL?

2. If he is a previous poster under another handle, wouldn't Allen or SB know this? Why not send him a private message telling him to cease and desist or be banished forever?

3. JohnJ: keep up the good work re: invitees to our G2Gs -- I don't see a need nor a benefit (to hobbyists)to making them huge and unwieldy. Smaller CAN be better.
  8. wsb

wsb

I think spending too much time on that f*cking island makes you guys paranoid. You are all soooooo friendly. If I were the APM, I would be looking for the nearest open window.

This thread is the embodiment of the problems that ruined TBD's NY board. We have unfounded accusations, threats of physical violence, too much implied inside info and a general us v. them mentality. All of this only serves to scare away anyone who may have had an interest in posting, but happened to witness the shabby treatment this guy received for a harmless inquiry. Even if this guy was some bystander who happened to try to chat-up the women at your party, what exactly is the harm in that??? Oh right - sorry - he's an "outsider".

FWIW, for anyone with a similar question, I think Mr. Wonderful provided the most useful advice. You are a complete and utter idiot to the infinite power if you are married and you give some provider your home number or other sensitive info. I agree with Ozzy that you can do quite well in the "hobby" without doing so. I also agre with much of what JM said in his posts, especially his entire 7:18PM post on 7/18. Seems like everyone else is just posturing and wasting bandwith.

--WSB

[Edited by wsb on 07-19-2001 at 02:47 AM]
  9. justme

Hey Oz, re-read my original post to the thread. I don't think you bit his head off at all. As far as the other stuff, I really don't know since I wasn't there, but it's hard to say that what's been offered so far concerning Joe's real identity is proof of anything.
  10. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Maybe I should drop by Toys R Us
  11. theladiesman

theladiesman

Toy Stores - a great pick-up place!!

12. Phantom

Phantom

Everything is relative. What may be considered "basic" to one person may be considered excessive and intrusive by another.
  13. candie

candie

Joe,

I believe the provider asked for the basic info from you.

Carl and John,

Is it possible to make sure someone like him is not allowed to join us? I didnt want to say anything but I didnt know who he was and he wanted immediately,,, me 2 sit on his lap. I like to know I am within those who know me. He could of been LE, still might be.

Just think we should always be aware who is within our group and who is not.

[Edited by candie on 07-18-2001 at 08:37 PM]
  14. Ozzy

Ozzy

TC...

thank you for putting it better than i could, except that the "favorite provider" part had no basis in any of my comments.

the whole thing is that since obviously none of us knew this guy well enough to vouch for him and none of us are in a position to change anyones security policies...

than why post it.

btw, i don't remember talking to this guy but did anyone mention UG or the url? not that you'll get in any trouble, but i'm just curious as to how he got here.

[Edited by Ozzy on 07-18-2001 at 07:37 PM]
  15. Tankcommander

Tankcommander

It's not that he's a newbie... The point is that...

He's narrowed it down to who he is by stating that he was at the LI UG get together,

That he was trying to crash the party despite being asked several times to leave us alone... wait, he did crash...

No one knew who he was, or why he was there.

He had never posted on UG before.

That he asked a lot of wierd questions at the party,

and is now, in the opinion of several of us, trying to circumvent the security precautions of one of our favorite providers...

Three or four of the guys at the LI UG meeting were newbies and they got along very well. This guy is something else.

Don't coddle this bastard
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy

JM,

theres lots of reasons that this was a suspisous post from the start ie...most everyone knew who he was and he never responded back.

but as far as biting his head off...

what exactly did i say..."no one is twisting your arm" or "see someone else then". i really take offense to anyone saying that i attacked him(when for once i didn't).....you've seen me attack people here on jag,TBD and in other private places....when i go after someone YOU know it. as far as my follow up posts, that all came after he went ape shit and attacked me.

this is definitely a case where if anyone else said what i did.......there be NO discussion on this right now.

[Edited by Ozzy on 07-18-2001 at 07:15 PM]
  17. justme

Well, I really don't see the first post as a dig. At all. I see it as a legitamate question that any one of us could have answered in a polite way (and a few of us did).

Let me address something else. I've written in various 'net forums of various topics for close to a decade. Now in any such forum there is always a set of topics which are discussed to death. Now, every once in a while a newbie'll stumble on to the place and ask about something in that set. Inevitable a few of the veteran contributors will bite the poor guys head off. I think this is reprensible and leads to a repression of new voices and a stagnancy of ideas. Now, on forums where there is a frequently posted FAQ, I can see a reason for frusteration. But places such as UG don't have that, so I think that we have to expect and tolerate people asking questions that have been done to death.
  18. Ozzy

Ozzy

JM,
    your right, the second one is worse, but the first one in my opinion wasn't worth posting in the first place. we all know that certain girls and agencies require this type of info but we don't sit and post about it...or else i'd have another 500 posts to add to my total. thats why i said to just move on.... all girls are entitled to what ever screening process they want to instill....we can simply choose to avoid them. no need to complain about it for the umpteenth time.

you know as well as i do that it was a cheap dig by someone using an unknown alias.

and thats supposed to be a NO-NO.

and so no one gets the wrong idea....i am not saying that my favorite girl is behind this (she's usualy more blatant)....

but it's still an un-necessary dig.

[Edited by Ozzy on 07-18-2001 at 07:05 PM]
  19. justme

HP - I had thoughts along the exact same lines.

Oz - What ridiculous post? The only post that I could possibly see any objection to at all is his response to you which was a bit heavy handed to say the least. I find his first post to be far from unreasonable. It was a good question and relevant to the topic at hand. His third post was... brief.

Occasionalhobbiest - I have to say that I have never given this information and I never would - ever. I also have to say that from what I hear, others share my practice. Finally, I'd like to say that this has never really been an obstacle for me.
  20. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Forget the torches?

And I just bought a case of lighter fluid, dammit!