Question of logistics....

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by bustygirl, Jan 3, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. robnotbob

robnotbob

The Bedford would be great since it's close to me :) It's on 40th, between Lex and Park (which is the East Side).

The room Bettina had on her last visit was much smaller than the room where you usually stay in NYC, Amber. You'll have to find room for your bag of "stuff".

Don't know what Bedford charges tho.

[Edited by robnotbob on 01-04-2001 at 12:00 PM]
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy

the bedford...near the UN. as i stated above...bettina used it as well as a few others. small onebedroom suites
    with a dining area...i think she said it was $140 a night. and that was during the summer(that is "in season" for ny c isn't it)nice clean hotel and easy to find....very safe area since a lot of missions are right there on the same block. constant police on all corners 24/7.
  3. pswope

pswope One out of three

If you visit at a time considered off peak,many quality hotels in Manhattan have blocks of rooms at high discounts(eg 175-225).
    Work through a travel agent or use the 'net.
    Also,while not the top,quality 2 clean hotels in safe locations,and more reasonably priced are

1. The Gramercy Hotel(located 21st and lex right on Gramercy Park);
    2.The Mayflower Hotel- Central Park West and 63rd

I believe you can score a suite(2 rooms) for about 200 per nightat either of these places.
  4. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

The problem with going outside Manhattan is less the neighborhoods being dangerous than an issue of transportation. If you are going to be doing incalls at the location, you may find a diminished demand if you make people have "an outer borough experience" to see you. It's also going to be very difficult for you when they call and say "I'm a little lost, how do I find you from the corner of myrlteAvenue and Clinton Street".

If I remeber correctly, another person visiting from Texas had not such a good run here when they stayed in Jersey City ( and next time made quite sure to stay in The Big Apple proper ).

But, just for "completeness sake" there are many neighborhoods outside Manhattan which are better than neighborhoods inside Manhattan. Brookyn Heights, Mill Basin, Forest Hills Gardens all have multimillion dollar homes ( ok, so $1 million doesn't get you much in NYC; a very nice 1BR Coop on Fifth Avenue in a good building, or perhaps a nice 2 BR in a lesser location; a recent "teaser" article for Condo lofts in Tribeca announced prices "starting" at $850,000 and the subsequent slew of phone calls was anwered with "that was a misprint, we don't have anything that cheap"). Just try and avoid those "low lifes" in North Eastern Queens.

BTW - Kids who live in basement studios, with a tub in the kitchen and no heat, in the Lower East Side here look down their noses at folks who live in 6 bedroom Center Hall Colonials in NJ.
  5. bustygirl

bustygirl

uh oh....

Ok...maybe i have seen a few too many movies in my time...but i have always heard to be VERY afraid of Queens.

As far as what is enormous to me....i have been averaging between $350-400 per night. That is for a corner penthouse suite in Midtown (VERY close to Times Square). I know i am getting a really good deal for being in NYC, but still.....i am a Texas girl...and here, you can get a multi room suite in one of our top hotels for that kind of money...and find plenty of very nice, comfortable, rooms in good areas with good amenities for under $100 a night. Ok, so that is not likely to be found up there...but i would like to try to at least keep it $200 or below.
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy

i do have a fantastic view of the LI sound and conn. but it's in queens and hard to find......sorry.

however, in queens right over the bridge is the pan american hotel. it's easy to find and on a nice strip(queens blvd.) probably half the $$ the city hotels get with better access for your long island guys. and it's not a dump. if not try the bedford....not sure of the addy but i think it's in the 40's off 2nd ave? bettina and a few others stay there when in town.
  7. Slinky Bender

The only place I would stay away from is the Pick-A-Bagel on 77th And Lexington. There's been a lot of reports lately of dirty old men relentlessly hitting on young hotties there.
  8. frog

frog

okay, the non-flippant response. If you know exactly when you'll be here, there might be a short term sublet of apartments that might prove more economical than a hotel. In terms of safe neighborhoods, slinky is absolutely right -- ALL of Manhattan is pretty safe.

btw, how long do you normally stay, and what do you consider enormous?
  9. frog

frog

Just stay at ozzy's
  10. Slinky Bender

There are a number of independants who have apartments in the West Village and appear to like the location. It's only a little out of the way and has mostly descrete, smaller buildings. The Lower East Side is similar in terms of building stock, but much tougher transportation wise.

Way downtown by Wallstreet has some options, but will be difficult for all but the locals to get to.

Chelsea and Gramercy Park/Murray Hill are both "sleepers" which are both close to midtown, but still slightly out of the way/incognito.
  11. bustygirl

bustygirl

Ok...so here is a shot in the dark weird question for you all.

I am brainstorming here, so bear with me.

I would like to try to find a way to offer my Houston rates the next time i am in NYC. I have already explained my whole issue with rates and why i feel the need to keep my low...so i won't rehash that.

What i would like to know is this: are there any NICE, safe neighborhoods in New York OTHER than Midtown Manhattan? I spend ENORMOUS amounts on hotels when up there, and it would totally defeat the purpose of coming up there to offer my Houston rates paying the nightly costs i usually pay.

So....any ideas? I like midtown, but figured I should at least ask.

Houston's Online Bustygirl,
    Amber
    http://www.bustygirl.net
    http://www.aspd.net