Rap and Hip Hop Music....

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and Entertainment' started by iusedtobeone1, May 14, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. ereuben

ereuben

New York New York, big city of dreams
    And everything in New York ain't always what it seems
    You might get fooled if you come from out of town
    But I'm down by law and I know my way around

Too much, too many people, too much (aha-ha)
    Too much, too many people, too much, Raaah!
    GMF
  2. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

I agree most of the current stuff sucks and I dont listen to it but the truly good old school rap (maybe 1980 to the early, mid-90s) is legit and I'll match it up against anything. For the most part I think any rap from the last decade pretty much sucks with rare exception.
  3. ereuben

ereuben

Rap and hip hop sucks - rare few are good. The rest need eye candy for what they lack in lyrics, talent and the ability to make their lyrics understood. Total crap - it's way overrated and over compensated. Will be gone soon just like FUBU legacy - and that's a total joke oxymoron. Who's going to buy it if it's FUBU. HA!
  4. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

LOL maybe in your case you just like seeing the buff rappers with their shirts off, their tattoos and all their stupid bling
  5. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Is that why? Thanks, I never realized that.
  6. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Probably because every other rap video has hot chicks in bikinis with their T&A hanging out lol
  7. CipRooma

CipRooma

Rap and Hip Hop Music

Hmm... Ive noticed that there arent too many people on BA here who listen to hip-hop, rap, R&B etc. I can count the ones Ive seen on one hand actually.

So... I wanna know. Do you listen to such music? What are your opinions on it and reasons as to why you like & listen to it or hate it and dont?

Im curious to find out how many ppl here listen to that stuff once and for all.

Just my 2 cents,
    Kenpachi TZ
  8. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

I don't like most rap and hip hop music, but love most rap and hip hop videos.

Wonder why?
  9. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

Man, "to all the killas an' hundred dolla billas"!

Shook Ones by Mobb Deep is still one hot track...

Gavy
  10. Gavvy Cravath

You rock, man. Thanks!
  11. ozmo

ozmo

that would be Cru - Pronto, from back in '97..
  12. Gavvy Cravath

OK...what song features the line "Got ya' head bobbin' like a Hunts Point hooker"? I haven't heard that in years...not even in the clubs (well, it's been a while) and it's driving me crazy right now.

Thanks,
    Gavy
  13. jayp67

jayp67

Thanks, Bb!

I appreciate you taking the time to make your top 10 list. Got #s 1 and 4.

I'm definitely going to check the rest out!

jayp67
  14. bangbroads

bangbroads

JayP-

1.Illmatic-Nas
    2.Paid in Full- Rakim
    3.Slick Rick-The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
    4.A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    5.Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Links
    6.Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
    7.KRS-One - Criminal Minded
    8.EPMD-Strictly Business
    9.Kool G Rap - Road To The Riches
    10.Mobb Deep- Infamous
  15. jayp67

jayp67

Hey bangbroads-

How about your top 5 (or 10!) rap albums?

Thanks,
    jayp67
  16. bangbroads

bangbroads

Now this is a thread i can get with as former DJ/producer.

My top 5 MC's would be:

1.Nas
    2.Rakim
    3.AZ
    4.LL Cool J
    5.Slick Rick

My top 5 groups:

1.Main Source
    2.Tribe called Quest
    3.Nice n Smooth
    4.EPMD
    5.Pete Rock CL Smooth
  17. Strangest thing is, I really dig EMINM for the same reasons as Kimmie. My 18 yr. old thinks I'm crazy to expose my 11 yr. old to it but I don't play the cursing all that much. Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But there has to be something artistic to it. I can't stand notorious b.i.g. either gavy. Any time I hear someone my age disparage current artists for being vulgar I just play the "Lemon Song" in my head and chuckle. The only difference is that sex & violence in the music , today,(which should be there, because it IS part of life) seems to be, more pervasive. Or maybe prolific is a better word for it.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  18. Gavvy Cravath

These lines stay with me for days after I hear it...

Hail Mary, full of grace, smack the bitch in the face...
    ...take her Gucci bag and her Northface...

and

There's gonna be a lot of slow singin' and flower bringin' if my burglar alarm starts ringin'...

The inimitable Notorious B.I.G.

Gavy
  19. its_mousey

its_mousey

Although I'm more into electronic and 80's music, old skool rap (Public Enemy, NWA, Rakim, etc.) and their immediate progenies (Wu Tang, Cypress Hill, 3rd Bass, Gravediggaz and the like) will always have a place in my CD/mp3 player. However, I began losing interest w/the genre during the time when Red Man and Method Man started doing deodorant commercials; Ice Cube started doing comedy/drama movies; and Ice T started playing a cop.

However, there has been some noteworthy recent standouts like DMX. I must admit, once evaluated on his own merits, Eminem is one talented white boy. For the Marshal Mathers fan, you might want to checkout Lady Sovereign who has been described as his female UK counterpart, albeit much younger (and smaller) and a bit more upbeat (none of that I-hate-my-momma-I-fuck-and-beat-my-wife schtick).

Speaking of foreign rappers, if you think the "West Coast thang vs. the East Coast thang" is outta control, can you imagine the Israeli vs. Palestinian rap rivalry??? I've read somewhere (Rolling Stone perhaps?) that there has been a heated rivalry between Israeli and Palestinian rappers and DJs and that the DJ/MC battles between the two have been so intense and impassioned that it's been described as being more potent than any firearm or explosive. What's even more amazing is that contrary to what you might expect, there's virtually no violence in these venues!

*Squeak!*
  20. zooyorkcity

zooyorkcity

Rap music pretty much died out for me in the 90's... In the late 90's is when the $ and industry started taking over... Back then it was music for the love of it (and it was rebellious to a point) nowadays the whole motivation behind it for most is the money... Rappers these days are in it for the wrong reason and they need to learn their history...