Reviews and disappointment

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by dicer5, Jul 17, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. crowe

crowe

I used to write a lot of reviews. I think I was accurate, and I took into mind YMMV. I've been lucky with ones who get fair ratings and almost always unlucky with the ones who get great ratings.

I quit writing reviews a few years ago -- well, I'm not as indiscriminate as I used to be, let's put it that way. Too many times I've been called, emailed, and worse, confronted in a public area by a disgruntled reviewee.

After a particularly harrowing confrontation in a Starbucks, I pretty much stopped.

But I agree, most of us are aware they have access to reviews, and worse, they can figure out who we are. When I do write them, I enter with great caution. But even changing locations, times -- I've been outed.

They're watching us. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Crowe aka Social Register.
  2. Book reports for sex...

...Ah, now that's a concept. I've gotta spend more time around college campuses.
  3. nypete

nypete

As this thread winds down toward its natural conclusion, I'm pleased to find us discussing literature rather than that other UG end-of-thread topic, favorite deli sandwiches.
    As for the nature of reviews, I agree that the preferred approach should be that of journalism rather than belles-lettres.
  4. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

God, I remember a time when this kind of intellectual slop was the norm over in JAGland (although Slinky would note that absence makes the heart grown fonder).
  5. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Dead.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 02:11 PM]
  6. Such a literary group

Wow. Men of letters. Stately, plump Buck Mulligan ascended the stairhead...

I am a writer, i.e., I have made what passes for a living at the writing trade for several years now. This and $2.06 has been known to get me a cup of coffee. And I have usually not been able to rely on my income as a writer to provide me with the $2.06... Before flame wars commence, note the lack of modifier; I did not claim to be a good writer.

I struggle with the issue of writing reviews. I have written a fair number under various aliases--never came up with a handle witty enough to commit to--and I've never been really satisfied. Maybe it's a trap I'm creating for myself.

In most writing, you need to know your audience. For the most part--and this board appears to be a refreshing exception--hobbyists want names, ranks, serial (phone) numbers, accurate pics and BBBJs (maybe oh maybe TC...) Not necessarily in that order. And not a lot else.

It is, I would say, a fact-driven set of needs.

Please don't take offense humble narrator, but I can't follow your excerpt. I'm lost. It's literate and literary, but what would my experience with this natalie be? Would there be any commas? Is she putting on a dramatic amount of weight in a short period of time?

That's why I opt for a fact-driven approach. But then, I'm torn. I don't like giving away too many details. Maybe I'm saving it for my great american novel. Part of me likes to keep a few things private. What if I post something intimate that makes it clear which John is me? What if the provider reads it? What if, and I know some will laugh at me for this, but what if she doesn't do BBBJTC and a bag of chips for everyone? Will I have created an expectation on the part of others that she won't want to fulfill? Will that lead to further trouble? Will I ever get it again, or will I be cut off for having been a blabbermouth...

I never thought about taking the shameless self-promotion route and exchanging flowery reviews for sexual favors. I sense the motives would be transparent. (But I'm willing to be bought, ladies.)

Anyway, my humble contribution to this thread is that Joyce was a genius. I'm not operating at his pitch. I think it's fair to say that most of us aren't. But when I settle in with Dubliners and I want to read The Dead I am seeking out a much different experience than when I'm trolling JAG looking for someone who's ready, willing and able within the span of time required to satisfy my increasingly pressing primal urges.

That said, I don't think I've ever encountered a board where a discussion like this could blossom. Thx.
  7. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

I will attempt Ken Kesey
    hp
  8. Monk

Monk

Perhaps we could start a review site in which each reviewer chose an author's style to emulate. JC could do his best Joycean immitation, I'll work on my Foucault, etc. Of course, the savvy amongst us would choose Miller (or, more ambitiously, Anais Nin) and keep writing in the style they've always done.

As for JAG, I still think the reviews are worthwhile. That said, their quality has definately come down several notches ever since paying members didn't have to submit reviews to continue to gain access to the site. Many of the better writers no longer post reviews. And many of the most prolific hobbyists simply post to the discussion board, which is always less satisfying reading.

TBD always seemed like the British Punter.net -- oversubscribed and full of flames -- while JAG compared to their Captain69. (I'm not sure what anyone will do with that arcane bit of info, but it's just another observation I'll throw into the mix. I'm tired of these JAG vs. TBD debates.)
  9. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Vacation.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 02:10 PM]
  10. nypete

nypete

Yes, Richard Ellman's biography confirms that JJ was a hobbiest.
    You are right about De Sade. Henry Miller I always considered overrated. Never read Frank Harris. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that the literature of the hobby is as rich as one would think it would be. And it has all been from the client's point of view.
  11. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Knew her spleen well.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 02:09 PM]
  12. nypete

nypete

JJ would himself appreciate this thread, with its subtly intertwined discussions of 20th century literature, reviewing etiquette and genital piercing. It could be a chapter in one of his later novels: "Finnegan's BBBJ"
    Perhaps we can start a UG book club. Any nominations?
  13. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

For light reading

[Edited by Judge Crater on 07-25-2001 at 02:09 PM]
  14. Carl M

Carl M Hanging by a thread

15. Humble Narrator

Humble Narrator

I might be naive but...

...I assumed most people who posted reviews of providers were doing so out of a perceived debt to other hobbyists who had done the same previously. You know, a sort-of karmic re-supplying of the resource continuum. In this case the resource is information, good, bad or indifferent.

I have posted reviews that were unflattering, but not negative. What I mean is that I try to remain objective, especially when posting something critical. I feel that this is actually helpful to providers who read that review. Or in the case of agencies/incalls, I think it helps management to enhance their offerings by either giving constructive feedback to the lady or by finding staff more appropriate to client requests.

I think that honest, constructive, gentle feedback is probably the most helpful aid to growth that a person can receive. This is not "faux-gentility"; this is reasonable, fair behavior that can and does help others.

On the other hand scathing rebukes, inflammatory venting or vendetta-driven contrivances (all of which I think we have seen recently) are in no way helpful and serve only to alienate, divide and injure.

One of the saddest things I have witnessed on the Internet (and in popular culture in general) in the last 5 years primarily is the dramatic increase in caustic behavior for the sake of its shock value. The depersonalization that comes with perceived anonymity lets the reptile in us come out and do and say some really nasty things. It takes active resistance to these impulses to keep sane.

For Mr. Wonderful: Here is a re-writing of a post I had on TBD some time back. (Also for our amie de Voltaire who truly makes this the "best of all possible worlds")

"natalie with her long long legs looking at me smiling what is she thinking about then we get close she talking about medical school madness why doesn't she stop talking while the beast is rising her lips ah her lips with those deadpan eyes not looking not seeing but feeling her soft smooth caramel skin not touching mine while she keeps talking about husband and mother and father yes father not there and she not here and I'm almost there when she tells me her now slender body was two-hundred pounds at the moment I come to my senses I can't believe I let this happen"

The triple meter wasn't intentional.

Would this be negative? Is Joyce Carol Oates negative? Is beauty only applicable to "positive" thoughts/feelings/experiences/people?
  16. Candide

Candide

Slinky...your 7/17/01 10:33 p.m. post is the freakin' Dictionary Samuel Johnson Bard post of all U.G. posts! What a great post! And I actually agree with everything you said...my god that is frightening. And the irony of Joyce, his mother and The Catholic Cure for going blind - I was thinking that myself...your a laugh riot :) And I think your a good moderator too
  17. mr. wonderful

mr. wonderful

Provider Reviews

When I was a regular poster on TBD, I used to write reviews of my soirees pretty frequently. In all honesty, I wrote these reviews more for me than for the girls. I like to write, and would more often than not create a scenario in which to describe the meeting as prose, and not merely a description of what took place. I wrote a review of Terri Brice from Dallas in Seussian rhyme, which I was particularly proud of. So I took this as something of an ego boost rather than reporting on a field trip.

When a rendez-vous did not live up to my expectations, I admittedly did not readily post about the person, but did make my feelings known about the experience to comrades. Like someone mentioned previously, you really don't know who you are dealing with and when armed with your personal info these people can cause great harm. I passed along some unflattering info regarding a provider to a friend, who then posted this on TBD as part of an ongoing thread. The next day, I got a call from this provider who surmised that I was the person who had passed this info along.

It is my firm belief that, in an open air situation such as this, where you don't know who is lurking out there, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say, unless it is in private.

These are my own views on the subject of reviews. I never wrote them to curry favor with providers, I wrote them for my own, and my friend's, enjoyment.
  18. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

"Are they banned, not encouraged or what? "

Not encouraged.

"Joyce read and wrote so much that he went blind"

Ironic, since his mother had constantly told him to read and write to stop him from another compulsion, which she told him would make him go blind.

I think one problem with some of the JAG reviews is that simply new guys must submit a review without the benfit of seeing abunch of reviews first and thus can not possbily know what a good reivew is before writing their first one. In addition, some of the incentive to write good reviews has been eliminated: if you pay, you don't need to write reviews, period. If you write great reviews, but don't pay, you get the same thing as if you just write garbage. People will exhibit whatever behaviour is rewarded, and if you write great rreviews but are not provided access to the message board, you get no postive feedback for your great reviews. In addition, I think the concept of allowing your "best" customers ( and probably the potential source of the best reviews ), not to post reviews, might be self defeating. There is no good answer, though, aside from having a group of guys who want to write good reviews, and it's hard to "lead" from the rear.

It's funny how guys want to show gals the reviews, and the gals want to see them. It's one of those things that doesn't do either any good, and actually can inflict some considerable harm, but people continue to do it nevertheless. I must say that if a client of mine showed me anything that I knew they had agreed to keep confidential, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them left handed.
  19. ew

ew Silver

And I'd like to add that the recs on this board have been fairly consistently good even tough you have to take it on faith. And the rep of the poster.

There used to be the odd review posted here. Are they banned, not encouraged or what? Or do the guys feel a little bashful?
  20. ew

ew Silver

Though perhaps JAG may have slipped it is still the only place where you have access to the latest without being in the "inner circles" backchanneling.

Still has a pretty high hit ratio.

On the other hand, I have seen some that were JAG staples and they weren't what I thought they would be. JAG is fairly accurate on service. I don't think they are very accurate on looks. I think that there is a bit of a generational gap somtimes between what somone considers a wet dream, beautiful, or pretty and what I think is.