ROCK CORNER

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Carl M, Apr 19, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. paulie_walnuts

paulie_walnuts

Now if you can "just pick up" some hippie chick who was there you'll be set.

right?
  2. How the West Was Won

Just picked up the newly issued live album from Led Zeppelin, remastered from their 1972 West Coast gigs.

Jesus, Rock and Roll kicks ass. This is fantastic!
  3. Flounder

Flounder Sleeps with the (rest of the) fishes

And who would that be?

<please don't make a list>;)
  4. azzure

azzure Vin Diesel

It always scares the shit out of me how much I have in common with all the degenerates here.
  5. sod

sod

For discussion purposes, I thought I'd post this great quote from www.pitchforkmedia.com

"the Beatles are the 16th Century church and the Velvets are Copernicus"
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy

anyone catch Ozzy's little girl rockin out on MTV tonight?

and someone needs to get Sarah Michelle Gellar a pair of tits. i never noticed how bad she had it.
  7. By the way guys, this month is turning out to be an excellent one for rock and roll.

New Neil Young.
    New Elvis Costello.
    New Steve Earle.
    New Paul Westerberg.
    And next month... new Tom Waits & Warren Zevon.

The geezers can still churn it out!
  8. Casper

Casper

Re: WHAT????

I never did.

"put a message in a bottle and throw it into the cyber sea"
  9. WHAT????

Are you guys telling me I was supposed to be smoking POT when I was listening to Rush?

Always the last to know.
  10. Ozzy

Ozzy

Oz fest tickets on sale today (sold out).... july 19- 20th PNC bank arts center. (garden state arts center)

speaking of the prince of darkness.... it appears that due to legal BS Ozzy's original recordings of 'blizzard of Oz' and 'diary of a madman' have been remastered with a different rythym section (bass and drummer) so as to avoid an on going royalty payment dispute with Lee Kersley and Bob Daisey ( the original drummer and bass player).

the old original recordings will no longer be in print nor available, so if you got em...save them, they are now collectors items.

Note: Randy Rhodes guitar tracks will remain intact on both albums.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2002
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy

behind bands like Zeppelin, the who, the stones, pink floyd and the beatles, who were all legendary bands equal to none......

rush and yes were right there in the same very top shelf catagory as..... the ramones, van halen, black sabbath, metallica, boston, kiss and aerosmith. . . . maybe a few others as well who all dominated the industry or paved the way for many others.

of course that doesn't include those more known as solo artist who also have a few legends....hendrix, billy joel, elton john and of course the king himself......Elvis.

now i know there's music genres that fall under the rock n roll catagory that i'm leaving out simply because this is ROCK CORNER and it’s about hard rock/heavy metal, and not blues, dance or POP, or else i'd list MJ, madonna, buddy holly, little richard, wilson pickett and aretha franklin...among many others.

I think the RnR HOF is making a serious mistake in not considering bands like Sabbath, Rush, Yes or even Ozzy (by himself) for admission…. Although Oz told them to "shove it" last year when for the 4th straight yr they refused to even put him (or Sabbath) on a ballot that consisted of the “bay city rollers” and “the average white band” (AWB)….. both of whom didn’t even come close to making the final cut. I’m curious to see if Van Halen makes the ballot next year when they become eligible.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2002
  12. sod

sod

Hey, hey, take it easy on the Yes-bashing. Their only fault was burying their noses in their schoolbooks while the Ramones were cutting class and playing with fire. Yes were definitely artists, though, and both bands were rock 'n roll. What's wrong with trying to expand an art-form in a certain direction (which is what both bands tried to do)?

As far as Rush goes, they strung together about six albums in a row in the late 70s/early 80s that were second to none. My personal favorite was Permanent Waves. The song "Natural Science" brought me to my knees.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

sam & dave on tour together in the summer of 2002.

(not the old "blues bros" team...... the former lead singers of van halen)
  14. Ozzy

Ozzy

i'm not the expert who classified YES as rock n roll but if brenda lee, hank williams and billie holiday qualify, than YES should also.

i don't know how they determine who gets in and who doesn't.....i'll only say that they have no fucking clue what they're doing. they sound like the grammy's when they awarded the first ever heavy metal grammy to jethro tull over metallica (in '87?) who had their "black" album nominated. an album i should point out that sold something like 20 million copies and spawned about a half dozen hits.
  15. Rufus Moses

Rufus Moses

Both punk and heavy metal are still alive...albeit in the form of mainstream music. It is impossible to say which will live longer...and at times it is impossible to tell them apart...e.g. when does speed metal become hardcore...and vice versa?

What made the Ramones great was that they rediscovered what was always true about rock...that the artistry in rock has nothing to do with technical skill or compositional complexity and everything to do with direct and powerful expression.

Yes wanted fuse a classical music that never was ("classical" is a modernist fiction), with a rock music that never can be (trading its soul for the imagined riches of "quality"). To misinterpret rock music in such a fundamental way is artistic sin...and should disqualify them for any award with the word "Rock" in it.

The Ramones understood this. So should any Ramones fan.
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy

RUSH had maybe the three best pure musicians in rock.......period.

they also turned out a lot more hits and created their own genre of music that not too many could copy or accomplish. YES being somewhat close and they were nothing to sneeze at either when it came to composing music and their musical abilities. YES also deserves to be in the R&R HOF as they were early pioneers in creating classical music with a hard edge. i'd like to see curt kobain write something like "Ritual-Nous Sommes Du Soleil"......he couldn't even play it.

Ozzy and black sabbath started a whole new genre of music that had more followers and way more influence on those who came later in their foot steps. heavy metal also out lasted punk by about 10 years.

and the ramones are one of my favorite bands so it's no slight on them.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2002
  17. mij317

mij317

At least he acknowledges that "Something for Nothing" are words to live by.

Waiting for the winds of change
    To sweep the clouds away
    Waiting for the rainbow's end
    To cast its gold your way
    Countless ways
    You pass the days

Waiting for someone to call
    And turn your world around
    Looking for an answer
    To the question you have found
    Looking for
    An open door

You don't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise
    With the sleep still in your eyes
    No matter what your dreams might be

What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story
    In your head is the answer
    Let it guide you along
    Let your heart be the anchor
    And the beat of your own song

You don't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise
    With the sleep still in your eyes
    No matter what your dreams might be

Ok, my evening is mapped out. Spark up the fireplace and a joint, crank up the stereo and spend an evening staring into the flames, listening to the tunes and philosophising. (ahhh...university life - except this time it will be chivas instead of meister brau - LOL
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2002
  18. Rufus Moses

Rufus Moses

The Ramones are clearly more important than Rush ... the former launched a huge genre of music and the latter ... launched a million bongs?

But it is not at all clear to me that the Talking Heads are more important than Black Sabbath...and I am a Talking Heads fan...
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy

btw...that link dan posted has the wrong explaination for "the twilight zone" as well. it was based on an actual Twilight Zone episode in which there was a martian with three eyes. if you read the lyrics you see the rod sterling influence.

The Twilight Zone
    Lyrics by Neil Peart

A pleasant faced man steps up to greet you
    He smiles and says he's pleased to meet you
    Beneath his hat the strangeness lies
    Take it off, he's got three eyes

(ref: _Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?)

rod sterlings martain
  20. Ozzy

Ozzy

BTW, they're both right answers but.....

mij317 has the more correct of the two. that the part about "creating art" and "expressing himself or ones self" is the same answer Neil Peart has given in past interviews.