September Pull out of Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Daddycool, Jun 26, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Interesting there is nothing in that article quoting White House personnel saying "Iraq needs democracy now" or "a tyrant like Saddam can't be allowed to continue to oppress his people any longer". It's all about WMD. When pressed for justification for immediate action in Iraq, it's the WMD they pushed, not the other issues we've been told after the fact were also the reasons for the war.
  2. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

I believe the former WH Chief of Staff Andy Card said it best

Why did the Administration wait until September to make its case against Iraq? White House chief of staff Andrew Card told The New York Times last week,
    ``From a marketing point of view, you don't introduce new products in August.''

Source http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/12/schneider.iraq/
  3. its_mousey

its_mousey

I hope the techonology in this Patroit missle is substantially better than the Patriot missle of the Gulf War (which was later disclosed to have next to 0% effectiveness).

*Squeak!*
  4. Daddycool

Daddycool

I believe we are sending the Patroit missles in response to N.Korea missle testing.
  5. Wandering Bull

Wandering Bull

Is it just me or is it also interesting that after Japan announces a reduction in forces by year's end -- we start sending them Patriot Missles? Odd...haven't heard any more about their reduction.

Second...a "reduction in forces"....is the line you keep hearing -- but let's not confuse that with "sending them home" You can reduce them in Iraq and redeploy them in let's say.........Iran? Afganaistan? Saudi Arabia -- Persian Gulf? ( pick one - they all suround Iran)

Conspiracy theories? possibly....but you have to question every move with these buggers.
  6. its_mousey

its_mousey

As long as we continue an 'open-ended' committment, this administration can and will continue to fluctuate troop levels at its own discretion.

Furthermore, the fact that this administration is planning for the establishment of permanent US bases in Iraq and the retention of a minimum of 50,000 US troops to man these base really puts into questions this whole idea of "pulling out" of Iraq.

*Squeak!*
  7. Rokin

Rokin

A little over one month before election day.
    Just a coincidence,
    Right
    not
  8. Daddycool

Daddycool

WASHINGTON(AP) President Bush on Monday brushed aside reports that the United States is planning sharp troop withdrawals from Iraq, beginning in September. Such a decision will be made by the new Iraqi government and based upon recommendations from the top U.S. general there, Bush said.

Even so, his spokesman said that a reduction of two combat brigades was among the options being considered.

Conditions on the ground will help shape the recommendation from Gen. George W. Casey, Bush told reporters.

"And one of the things General Casey assured me of was that whatever recommendation he makes, it'll be aimed toward achieving victory," Bush said. "And victory means a free government that is able to sustain itself, defend itself."

Bush met with Casey, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, at the White House on Friday. The president spoke with reporters Monday after meeting with leaders of organizations that support the U.S. military in Iraq.

Bush's press secretary, Tony Snow, was later asked about news reports that Casey had proposed withdrawing two combat brigades, or up to about 7,000 troops, beginning in September.

"Generally Casey proposes lots of things and actually laid out more than one option. And everybody's fastening on one," Snow said. "... Certainly that's under consideration, but I would warn against saying this is what he's saying, this is what he wants."

"When he makes a recommendation the president's going to follow it. He trusts General Casey and he's made it clear," Snow said.

The New York Times reported that Casey has drafted a plan that projects sharp reductions in Iraq with the number of American combat brigades projected to decrease to five or six from the current level of 14 by the end of 2007.