Slinky: A question about "go to first unread post"

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by sigma089, Aug 6, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. sigma089

sigma089

new version still stuck on universal "go to unread post"

Allen,

I was disappointed to find that the new version doesn't change the way the "go to 1st unread post" works.

Any ideas or workarounds?

thanks,
    sigma089
  2. sigma089

sigma089

Allen

Sounds great. Thanks.
  3. Allen

Allen Webmaster?

sigma089,

I've been waiting for quite a while for Vbulletin to test their new software which includes a lot of excellent features including your suggestion. Version 2 has been out for a month or so and has gone through several bug fixes already, so I think we will be upgrading within a month. Hopefully V2 will make using UG much more user friendly.
  4. sigma089

sigma089

Here's an improvement to the board software that would make UG more useful to me and perhaps others as well. When I first started visiting UG, there were few enough posts each day so that it was painless to read all the new posts in all the new threads on all of the boards each visit. The "go to first unread post" has been a terrrific tool for that.

As UG has grown, I'd prefer to follow the NYC board on a daily basis, and the other boards less frequently -- probably weekly. But now, the "go to first unread post" has become a barrier to the way I want to use UG instead of the helpful tool it has always been. That's because it defines an "unread post" as any post that has been made since my last visit =anywhere= on =any= UG board, and isn't specific to the, say, NJ, or General board.

So if I visit =just= the NYC board today and for the next few days, the "go to first unread post" feature "thinks" I'm up-to-date on =all= posts on =all= the message boards. Five days from now, when I finally get around to catching up on the General board, UG thinks I've read all but the last day's worth of posts on that board, because I've been visiting the NYC board each day -- it doesn't realize that I've got five or seven or whatever days of unread General posts to read.

Can the "go to first unread post" feature be made specific to each board within UG? If that change could be made, UG would become a lot more user-friendly for me. Alternatively, if there is a "work around" that could give me the same functionality, please let me know.

TIA,
    sigma089