Space shuttle Columbia breaks up upon re entry over Texas (nt)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Phantom, Feb 1, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. vegasjim

vegasjim

Sad very sad. I pray for their families and yes they are all heroes to me.
  2. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

Maybe its because that is one of the few government programs where you can actually see activity happening -- rockets taking off. Anybody (other thatn the participants and their lawyers) ever watched an FDA or ICC meeting?
  3. Wwanderer

Wwanderer Kids, don't try this at home

Public opinion re NASA/Shuttle/space flight

A Gallup poll conducted on Sunday:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030203.asp

I think it is interesting how little the Columbia accident seems to have affected public opinion re these topics even in the immediate wake of the event.

-Ww
  4. Wwanderer

NASA funding

I would not be too pessimistic about the future of NASA. It is protected/justified by several factors. The most important of these is probably pure and simple pork. Most major NASA centers are sited in populous states with powerful Congressional delegations that consider them a major local asset (in terms of direct and indirect economic benefits as well as general prestige and positive high profile publicity). NASA is also considered very useful by most politicians because it is so popular with the general population; very little that the Federal government does is as well regarded as the space program. As such it has both general and specific (e.g., photo ops) usefulness to politicians. Note that support for NASA has been quite bipartisan since its creation. Finally and not to be utterly cynical, NASA does appeal to many people's ideals, "human destiny", "the future of mankind" and so forth; there are such people in government and the media as well as in the general population.

So, while the NASA budget, actually one should say the budget of the US space program (not all of which is in NASA, not even most by now I think), might do better or worse, I don't think we are about to see it go away or change very much due to one accident, however big the short term media attention.

-Ww
  5. howardnotstern

howardnotstern

(oh, swell. i'm engaging in a discussion of mathmatical analysis with justme. kinda like a one legged man in a shitkicking contest.)

about how many manned space missions have been launched? 50? 75? and four catatrophic outcomes (two shuttles, two soviet) and two more near misses (apollo 13 and the mir collision). around the same magnitude of failure. also, a lot of those unmanned satellite rockets seem to blow up on or shortly after launch, but that is a slightly different issue, and i am too lazy to look up the numbers.

yeah, i guess we don't hear too much about the dudes before columbus or drake who sailed off, never to be heard from again.

already the politicos are talking of shutting nasa down (temporarily). i fear us bleeding hearts will finally get half of our wish (why are we sending men to the moon while people on earth are starving and homeless?)--i think they will cut funds from the space program, but somehow the cash will wind up buying more toys for the pentagon than building more schools and affordable housing.

i love the people selling pieces of debris on ebay. and i love the misinformation campaign in the media, "don't touch any of the debris, or you will get sick from the toxic chemicals"
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  6. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

21 dead out of about two hundred men and women who have travelled in space. 17 deaths during actual flights. pretty poor odds.

Not entirely valid analysis. You'd have to look at the ratio of survived missions, not individuals. Of course, space flight is incredibly dangerous, but well worth the risks considering the value of materials research and scientific learning that gets done up there.

I really hope that Congress's reaction will be to channel more, not less, money into the space program in order to help mitigate further the tremendous risks that are involved in putting a group of people in the most inhospitable environment that we go.
  7. Wwanderer

Re: you knew the job was dangerous when you took it

True enough, and I would not want to minimize those dangers, but as many have pointed out in the past, the exploration of space has (so far) turned out to be much safer than that of most major new environments people entered. Early pioneers of flight, underwater technologies, artic/anarctic exploration, long ocean voyages and so forth endured (or paid with) much higher fatality rates. Even the development of "recreational technologies" has often been more dangerous; for example, the majority of the pioneers of hang gliding were killed in accidents before the technologies and techniques were perfected.

-Ww
  8. howardnotstern

howardnotstern

you knew the job was dangerous when you took it

how dangerous is manned space flight? very. seventeen fatalities during american manned missions, seven yesterday, seven on challenger, grissom, white and chaffee in apollo one fire in 1967 (a training drill in the space vehicle on the ground some weeks prior to a planned voyage). four russian cosmonauts died in two separate incidents in the 60's, both accidents during atmospheric re-entry. a couple of russian rockets exploded on the ground in separate incidents in the 60's and 70's, killing a couple hundred technicians.

21 dead out of about two hundred men and women who have travelled in space. 17 deaths during actual flights. pretty poor odds.
  9. *********

It's a sad horrible tragedy and I'm sure in their eyes they were doing at as a duty to our country however if people really want to help the US succeed at being the best, we really need to re-evaluate what serving our country to each one of us means so tell that to the many men and women who risk their lives helping the less fortunate (the homeless, mentally ill, street junkies, under-privileged/abandoned kids etc. etc.).

I don't know why our country spends millions all over but doesn't have chump change to help the less fortunate and deserving.
  10. greekgirlinnj

greekgirlinnj in loco CD

thanks ring a ding ding baby

u say the nicestest things to me
  11. SINATRA

SINATRA

I'm like shit on the soles of your shoes, Baby.......hard to get rid of.
  12. greekgirlinnj

greekgirlinnj in loco CD

sinatra good to see u posting again
  13. billyS

billyS

So do firemen ask you if cops are good in bed?
    Do firemen tell you not to see cops?
    Do you let cops fuck you in your ass but not foremen?
    Oh sorry, I guess I just crossed your imaginary line?
  14. Kimmie

Kimmie

Sinatra. I was thinking, "damn hes gonna blow"

Just a lil FYI about cops and firemen.. Most hate each other.. No hate isnt the right word.. They despise each other. They will say or do anything about each other to make them look or sound bad.

I dont believe anything any fireman says about a cop, or vice versa, especially concerning the 9/11 tragedy. The animosity grew even more after that.

There is so much hatred between these two professions it is a damn shame.
  15. SINATRA

SINATRA

16. James1701

James1701

I disagree. The firemen and EMS workers went into thoughs buildings knowing that they may lose their lives in the effort. That is above and beyond. However, according to a fireman neighbor of mine, the cops refused to go in to the towers saying their job was to stay outside and direct traffic. Could explain why 345 firemen died and only 26 cops were killed.
  17. One Eyed Trouser Trout

One Eyed Trouser Trout #1 Cowboys Fan

Ya know. I'll even go out on a limb to say that those people who are helping survivors of the WTC tragedy recover (and perhaps avoid such secondary tragedies as suicide) are heros.

Ozzy. Where's the love, man?
  18. greekgirlinnj

greekgirlinnj in loco CD

oh PULEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...some of those civillians died while helping others to try and escape so to me they were heros
  19. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

yeah.
  20. Ozzy

Ozzy

We always allude to Astronauts as being hero's.

John Glenn received a parade down the Canyon of Hero's as did the Apollo 11 Astronauts and one or two shuttle crews. If you put your life on the line for your country or the people you serve.... you are usually considered a hero. The firemen and police who served and died at the WTC were hero's..... The civilians who unfortunately died in those attacks were not.