Stripper Can't Deduct Implants on Taxes

Discussion in 'New York' started by zoulou, Jan 17, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. redleg609

Re: Pay for bombs or implants?

I wouldn't vote for either one. Hobbying vouchers on the other hand - that might get my vote.
  2. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Re: Pay for bombs or implants?

Yeah, but what if they only gave them to the girls from LI? How safe would it be then?
  3. zoulou

Pay for bombs or implants?

Hey I bet if we could vote on how best to use our tax dollars: Pay for bombs or implants? the world would be a much safer place.
  4. jseah

here's your answer

Back in 1994, there was an article in the newspaper where a woman had claimed a deduction for her breast implants (she was also a stripper). The IRS summarily rejected her deduction claim on the basis that the implants were cosmetic surgery and is therefore nondeductible.

As a result of the ensuing court case, the decision was made in favor of the woman. The woman's major argument were that the size of the implants were sufficiently large enough that any woman would not put themselves through the enhancement for vanity reasons at the price of ongoing back pain, etc. The IRS responded by acquiescing, however, they did say that the woman cannot fully expense the surgery in the year the expense was incurred, but she would need to depreciate it over its useful life. I don't remember if the article stated what the IRS though would be the correct useful life of breast implants.

Just remember that tax laws or court decisions of one country may not be the same or relevant in other countries.
  5. chaos17

Makes you wonder if any movie stars here in the US (adult or mainstream) have tried the same tactic on their taxes? I wonder if the IRS allows that kind of deduction here?
  6. zoulou

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - You can't deflate your taxes by inflating your chest, a Swedish stripper learned after a three-year legal battle to deduct the cost of her breast implants from her income taxes.

An appeals court in Stockholm sided with the latter and ruled the 25-year-old woman's 26,000 kronor (US $3,000) breast enhancement surgery could not be deducted from her 1998 income taxes.

The woman, whose name was not released, claimed the "size and shape" of her breasts were crucial to her income as a stripper. She listed the cost of the surgery as a business expense and sued the tax authorities when they rejected her deduction.

In its Jan. 9 ruling, the administrative court of appeal in the Swedish capital upheld the decision of a lower court, saying the surgery wasn't commercial, but private.

The woman's defense lawyer, Christer Transby, said Tuesday that the courts had treated his client unfairly because of her profession. He said other performers, including opera singers and dancers, were permitted deductions for different types of cosmetic surgery, although the benefits were more private than commercial.

"She derives absolutely no pleasure from (the surgery) privately," he said. "It's of 100 percent commercial interest."

Transby said his client had not yet decided whether to appeal.

Danish tax authorities turned down a similar appeal by a stripper there in 2001.