Testing New Board

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Woolf, Nov 13, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Thorn

Thorn

Geeze, I miss those days.

BRING BACK GOPHER!

BRING BACK ARCHIE and VERONICA!

BRING BACK ARPANET!!!

I want my Fidonet and my BBS' back.

I want to be back in the middle of the Thom Henderson/Phil Katz thing.

:)

[Ok. OK. I'll stop]
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy

i don't know about those pops and clips...

when you have a diamond needle basically scraping it's way thru a piece of plastic (oops i mean vinyl)...your bound to have some wear and tear eventually.

i go to the village all the time to buy imports and hard to finds at those record stores that still carry mostly vinyl and i never fail to get into it with a vinyl freak who still swears by vinyl (not you JM)......saying how all audio tapes suck because of the hiss from the heads rubbing the tape....but they say nothing about the needle scratching it's way around their precious records.
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Back when the web was super content based and very little fluff, lynx was fucking awesome. I used to use it extensively on a VT100 emulator.

Actually, given the nature of discussion boards, lynx would probably work well here, too (and it would be lightning fast over dial up). But no, I don't want you wasting your time on optimizing the board for Lynx.

Ozzy - I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that vinyl is more convenient, and the pops and clicks never happen if you take care of your records. (I'm just really excited because it looks like my end of the year bonus is just about going to cover that 1400).
  4. beep9

beep9

Opera works just fine. On all of the several platforms that I have here.....
  5. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

I think I can,
    I think I can!
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy

what about "hot java" and "opera"?
  7. Allen

Allen Webmaster?

"Go MOASAIC!"

Should I tweak the board for lynx as well?
    :D
  8. Allen

Allen Webmaster?

ummm, while not exactly the way I would have put it, Ozzy is correct:
    "it's 2001 not 1993....

and it sucks now. "
  9. Ozzy

Ozzy

it's 2001 not 1993....

and it sucks now.

btw.......you can never convince me that big black CD's (vinyl) is better than CD quality. i for one...don't miss those pops and skips. lets not even mention that cars and walkmans don't come equipped with turn tables.
  10. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Nescape did not always suck.

Go MOASAIC! (Is it any wonder who I still listen to the big black cd's?)
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy

netscape sucks......always did, always will.

IE is simply better.
  12. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Allen,
    At this point all I care about is being able to navigate the boards more quickly- whatever hardons people have for or against IE, does not inform my use of a browser. I prefer Netscape, but until UG is sufficiently tweaked to permit more seemless operation I will use IE.
    thanks and take care
    HP
  13. Allen

Allen Webmaster?

HP.

Although we strive for cross browser compatibility, we certainly design primarily for IE. I know that'll piss some people off, but that's the way it is.

BF,
    If you could email me a step by step description of exactly what happens, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    webmaster@utopiaguide.com
  14. Phantom

Phantom

I think that Bill is trying to catch the APM in total number of posts.
  15. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

It doesnt seem to be hindering you, Bill ;)
    take care
    HP
  16. Hotpuppy

Hotpuppy Mr.Butterworth

Just noticed that the "lag" is much less noticeable if I access the site via Internet Explorer 5 as opposed to Netscape 4.
    HP
  17. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

No Allen, sometimes I'm trying to add a post and I go back to the log-in page.
  18. Allen

Allen Webmaster?

Regarding the lag, we're still tweaking here and it should be all good soon.

BF, is that when you enter the board for the first time? I'm guessing you're caching the board and your cookie doesn't register till you actually click on a thread. lmk.
  19. sigma089

sigma089

lag drag here too

This happens when I dial in or use cable modem. With cable modem, net speed is much reduced from the old board software due to this lag.

Perhaps there is some configuration setting I might change on my profile that would impact this?
  20. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Sometimes when I open a thread, I end up back on the log-in page.