The Automat

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by Gavvy Cravath, Sep 2, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Last night, the little sign on one of the compartments said 'WHAT MEN NEED MOST WHEN THEY'RE AWAY FROM THEIR WIVES'. I was horny and curious, so I put in my change, unzipped my fly and put in Junior. After three minutes of excruciating pain, I removed my cock and a shirt button was sewed to the tip of it.
  2. justlooking

justlooking

The problem is, you never know if you're going to get one of the compartments with a mouth behind it or one of the ones with a meat grinder.
  3. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

The bathroom? The other night I just stuck my cock in one of the little food compartments and was in high heaven.
  4. neilz

neilz

Their baked beans and mac & cheese were the greatest. I loved watching the change guy slide 20 nickles at you from a pile with 2 hands after you gave him a dollar.
  5. vermeer

vermeer

sooner or later these will turn into homeless shelters and hoor offices. $5 suck in the bathroom.
  6. benisbig

benisbig

The new automat on St. Marks is pretty good. It's not like the old ones where there were places to sit down and eat this is more like a fast food automat.
  7. Rokin

Rokin

Correct.
    I was there a few times.
    Last time I visited (many years ago) when I went to take the food out of the little vending box/glass (whatever you call it) a bug was in there with the food. Yuck!
  8. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

The food is Asian themed. Roast pork buns, that sort of thing.
  9. VirKodo

VirKodo

Stop By the new Bamn Automat. The food was really good. I had two teriyaki chicken burgers. $2 each. They were fersh and juicy. Hit the spot. According to TV interviews with the owners, the food won't be held longer than 15 or 20 minutes. I don't remember the exact amount of time but I do remeber it's no more than 20 minutes to insure freshness.
  10. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

From a post by redleg609 from 2002

http://utopiaguide.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=117558
  11. Troutman

Troutman Paste

I remember going there with my father. The franks and beans had this thin crust over the top that can only be gotten by sitting idly in a Horn & Hardart's Automat cupboard. It was great!
  12. greyfox

greyfox

This is the art deco building that housed an automat on West 57 St.It's being demolished to build a Hilton Grand Vacation Club.

[​IMG]

Real automat on 42nd street.
    [​IMG]

Doris Day at a Hollywood version of an automat in "That Touch of Mink"(Mantle ,Maris and Berra are in the movie too!)
    [​IMG]
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

That could be it. It was a major intersection (two way street).... S/E corner I think? At least the one I'm thinking of.
  14. DoNotDisturb

DoNotDisturb

I think it may have been 42nd and Lex
  15. Ozzy

Ozzy

Someone tried about ten years or so back to reinvent the auto-mat didn't they? I think it was on a corner of Madison or Lex in the 50's. It was over priced and quality was typical shit. The novelty like the old 50's drive ups is dead.
  16. elmo16

elmo16

I've been to Automats when I was very young. They were quick, easy, fun and very inexpensive. I especially liked the franks and bean plate. Towards the end of their existence, they became a hangout for the homeless, and became run down dumps.

They remained in business for a while after that as cafeterias, but it just wasn't the same.
  17. jras

jras

yummmmmm

Small versions of those are all over Amsterdam. Excellent for the munchies after a visit to the "coffee shop".
    Spam sushi?
    (say what?)
  18. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

I have heard stories about these places from yesteryear from time to time. We actually have a toy one that we set up at Christmas time at my parents house (along with a lot of vintage 30's and 40's toy cars and figurines).

My 65 year old co-worker loved the automat. Another girl that just turned 40 remembered her parents taking her to one in mid-town in the early 70's.

And now, the "automat" returns. Has anyone tried this joint? I think I'm going to make a pass there early tomorrow morning to check it out.

http://bamnfood.com/index.html

Gavy