The cost of hobbying

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Wwanderer, Jan 16, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Wwanderer

Wwanderer Kids, don't try this at home

The sensation resembles that of being kicked in the balls.

-Ww

PS - The qualitative nature and mood of the experience (i.e., "to just please you") may well not be sustained for a whole weekend by many/most providers, which of course is related to the void piercing part.
  2. Wwanderer

Re: Re: No simple answer

If you were a wise enough UG'er to carefully read each and every word I post here, you would have seen more than one previous indication of the effectiveness of travel together as a dreamboy strategy, though I don't know if any of them were early enough to have forewarned you.

-Ww
  3. broken

broken

Thanks. What is it like emotionaly after spending the weekend that is there to just please you and then have to get back to reality?
  4. pjorourke

pjorourke Thinks he's Caesar's Wife

His a benchmark for you (that is worth what you paid for it): Think about 5-6 times her hourly rate per day. Then adjust per Wwanderers post further above.
  5. Wwanderer

I see you want a figure

Again, it would depend on a bunch of those factors I listed above, but since you seem to want some specific number, I can just tell you what I have actually spent in the past. As best I can remember (and it is probably at least close), I have spent as little as five hundred and as much as three thousand, plus expenses in both cases, for a weekend or equivalent. Does that help?

-Ww
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2003
  6. howardnotstern

howardnotstern

Re: No simple answer

7. broken

broken

So what would you consider a weekend away with a girl you see regularly to cost spending the whole weekend with her
  8. Wwanderer

9. Wwanderer

No simple answer

Yes, I have a fair amount of such experience. It can be SUPER (or AWFUL), and is a whole different type of hobbying than min or slightly longer dates. <Psst - it is a good way to start piercing voids, but don't tell anyone you heard it from me, esp not jm.>

However, I don't know how to offer any useful generalizations about the cost. If the lady in question does not quote rates for extended (24+ hr) dates in her menu and perhaps even if she does, it is going to have to be negotiated on a case by case basis and will depend on a lot of details - where are you going, how much of the time do you expect to spend with her, doing what, how free is she to travel given other responsibilities in her life (e.g., kids), how much business will she miss at home while she is away, how much does she enjoy travel, how much does she enjoy your company (or otherwise) and so forth? However, in almost all cases I'd think it would take a good bit more than just paying her travel expenses. Maybe if you just happened to be going to some place she really wanted to visit anyway and otherwise could not (pretty implausible situation), she might settle for something close to expenses only...but it is grasping at straws I think.

-Ww
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2003
  10. broken

broken

Does anyone have any experience with travelling with a girl. For a girl who usually gets $$$ an hour, what would she get for a weekend getaway. Are paying all her expenses enough or is there a fee that goes with it?
  11. hot4chicks

hot4chicks

Depends how you hobby. If you're seen as an ex-pat while tgravelling, its much more expensive. If they see you as a local ex-pat, its cheaper because you're a steady stream of income, so to speak.

Many cost of living allowances for ex-pats make adjustments to maintain the same lifestyle you had at home, no matter how ludicrous it may sound. In Chile, the cost of living allowance includes drinking California wine . Silly, eh?
  12. Wwanderer

"HONG KONG (Reuters) - The Japanese cities of Tokyo and Osaka have retained their rankings as the most expensive in the world, while a strong currency is making the euro zone more pricey to live in, a new survey has found.

The Norwegian capital of Oslo has overtaken Hong Kong as the third most expensive city, according to the "Worldwide Cost of Living Survey" by London-based Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) released Thursday.

Hong Kong and Libreville, Gabon, were tied for fourth place. It did not specify why the latter was so expensive.

London dropped to seventh in December 2002 from fifth a year earlier, but remained the costliest city in the European Union (news - web sites).

The comparative cost of living in all euro-zone cities rose in the past year as the euro strengthened and as prices were hiked during the switch to euro notes and coins.

Paris, which was ranked 10th in the world, remained the most expensive city in the euro zone. In Europe as a whole, Bucharest was the cheapest at number 120 on the list.

New York was the costliest North American city, ranked 11th in the world but down one notch from a year earlier."

=======

To the extent that I have visited them (some a lot and some not at all), it is my impression that the cost of hobbying in these cities is pretty well correlated with the overall cost of living that determines the above quoted ranking. Does that agree/disagree with anyone else's experiences?

It is sort of depressing that my very fave place to play in the whole world is at the top of the list! You NYC dudes shouldn't complain.

-Ww
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2003