The Economics of Prostitution

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by jp1064, Mar 3, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

I'm not sure how I see Kelly's offer like that. Care to explain?
  2. ForFun

ForFun

Miki and Blondkelly

I think they are both smart in this regard.

Betty's not to bad either.

3. genius

genius

Miki's and Blondkelly's offers

I find Miki's and Blondkelly's offers very interesting (from an economics point of view.) I have an idea of the totality of Blondkelly's offer (that I will keep to myself) and also Miki's offer (which is more direct).

Both I believe are just reactions to a softening of the market (supply? demand? both?) and give an easy way to "temporarily" lower prices to stimulate demand under the guise of marketing.
  4. genius

genius

I do not jest and I take the hardships that you endure trying to make a living, seriously.

But I was not writing about you personally - just economics and supply and demand.
  5. kassyS

kassyS

"Mental barrier into prostitution"

Oh, surely you jest. Makes it sound so sanitary.

Those intellectual arguments sounds so clean and pure.

But how does this help me, or other gals on the streets.

Oh, yeah, like Job/

from Book of Job
  6. genius

genius

It is funny because the average person (male or female) would think very seriously about whether or not they would do it for the money involved and yet do not consider themselves whores.

I understand your point.

However we are discussing women who have already crossed the mental barrier into prostitution and I think that is a completely different situation.

You could use the same example to me by asking me if I would kill someone for a million bucks. If I said yes you could ask the same question as you did the girl at the bar - how about 100 bucks.

The answer would be completely different from me as from a hit man. I haven’t crossed the barrier (yet) that would allow my ego to put myself in the same category as a hitman.

Now lets say I knew for a fact that some one was going to kill some one I cared about, but I knew I couldn’t prove it to the authorities - my answer would probably be yes then.
  7. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

I think according to him, it's not a joke, it's an enonimc model.
  8. Ozzy

Ozzy

Cause cloud none didn't write it.
  9. justlooking

justlooking

Look, I think that joke is old and tired, too.

But I want Genius to tell me why it's even a joke.
  10. kassyS

kassyS

From Tired Old Joke

Used to have to put up with a lot of dumb jokes.

Oh, well no offense, another day another dollar, another f**k, another buck.
  11. justlooking

justlooking

(PLEASE try not to answer, "It's not funny.")
  12. justlooking

justlooking

Note to Genius

Explain why this joke is funny:

MAN: Would you sleep with the Sultan of Brunei for a million dollars?

WOMAN: Sure.

MAN: Would you sleep with me for a hundred dollars?

WOMAN: What do you think I am?

MAN: We've already established that. Now we're just haggling over the price.
  13. justlooking

justlooking

The point isn't that the pay "should" reflect the damage. The point is that, because of the potential for damage, there may well be a pay rate beneath which people would refuse to offer the service. Obviously, that pay rate will differ for different people. But it still exists as a factor.

PS -- I don't think that all the potential damage in prostitution is psychological. Prostitution is very dangerous physically. All sorts of diseases, risk of assault, etc.
  14. Rokin

Rokin

I disagree.
    My comment assumed a relatively healthy person who could choose to perform a regular job at a lower price.
    The typical sw is usually not the normal healthy person who could perform a regular job. Their prospects are much more limited than a high class healthy call girl who could perform other jobs. lIf someone is already damaged then the price to futher devalue is less.
  15. genius

genius

The word "should" doesn't belong in a lot of discussions IMHO. It implies a value judgement instead of just the heartless law of supply and demand.

So if you use the "very tough on the woman" as the factor that "should" determine pay then it would seem that the SW working the dregs of an area should be paid more than a high priced call girl who gets wined, dined, brought back to a high class hotel and paid handsomely for services rendered.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  16. Rokin

Rokin

Both professions have a negative impact on the workers, but one is more physical and the other more psychological.
    If a women can somehow compartmentalize the damage to her mind by being a provider, then she can have the money and more likely her health so she can enjoy the money.
    Nevertheless, both jobs are very tough on the woman and that is why the pay should reflcct this.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  17. genius

genius

I dont see what's so funny about it. At the very minimum it takes a lot of equipment, training and expertise, and most certainly major licensing requirements.

A prostitute is born with all the equipment she needs, she will find her customers to be all so helpful with whatever training and expertise she may lack initially and other than massage, I dont know of any licensing requirements.
  18. justlooking

justlooking

Wait a minute. I didn't read this hard enough the first time. Let me get this clear. You're using this as a way to distinguish cleaning up toxic dumps from prostitution?
  19. UG Staff

UG Staff Staff

It's so funny that you can so easily see why a woman wouldn't want to clean up toxic waste dumps, but can't see at all why she wouldn't want to be a prostitute.
  20. RuffToy

RuffToy

2 piles a day comes to $136.98 a pile......no deal.....up your offer.