The little guy gets fucked over again

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by justbill_redux, Jul 11, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

There should be NO minimum wage. I'm tired of govt. breathing down my neck forcing me to do things. This forcing people to pay a minimum amount sounds like Commie crapola to me.
  2. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

This isn't an entitlement program asswipe. Its people working for a paycheck. And the one thing you assholes have overlooked about the raise being cited is it’s a COLA, which should be given across the board.
  3. justbill_redux

Compassionate conservatism at its best
  4. goofy3

goofy3

I have to assume that you suffer from the same geographic affliction that it appears 99.9% of UG'ers have - you're from the northeast corridor, where cost of living and decent public transportation have created market forces that have made the actual minimum wage irrelevant. Most of the country lives no where near I-95. If you're in West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas or most states with rural areas, having marketable skills may not be enough, as there may not be an accessable market for your skills.
    As to whether it's possible to live off of an minimum wage, income statistics make it clear that a sizable portion of our population does just that. Out of married workers that reported incomes (Which would eliminate most teenagers, or the unemployable) 15,853,000 (13% of the total) reported earning less than $12,500 per year.
    http://pubdb3.census*****/macro/032005/perinc/new02_001.htm That's dot gov.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  5. jyris

jyris

Are you saying that you want to set the minimum wage high enough to allow a full-time minimum-wage worker to be able to pay for rent, food, and transportation from that one salary alone? If you are, I've got bad news for you -- that's never been the case.

I have worked exactly one minimum-wage job -- my first, many years ago, when I was a high-school student. I remember two things:

1. I did a good job, and got a raise in about thirty days; I doubt that things have changed very much in that regard.
    2. If I hadn't still been a student and living home, I could never have supported myself on the minimum wage (even back then, and even at a much lower standard of living).

I suspect that most (nearly all) minimum-wage workers either have no marketable skills or work ethic, or do not subsist on their minimum-wage salary alone.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  6. lamont5123

lamont5123

Goofy,

On point. Nice explanation.
  7. goofy3

goofy3

Setting aside your false assumtion that everyone making minumum wage is "incapable of performing any but the most menial of jobs", let's explain it in terms you might tbe able to understand: your own greedy self interest.
    Even those doing the lowest levels of manual labor must be able to feed, house, and clothe themselves if they are to be maintained as a labor force. They also must be able to afford transportation to and from the workplace. With out these basic requirements they will cease to be an effective workforce.
    Even southern slave owners understood that they needed to provide a minumum level of sustenance to their workers to maintain them as effective workers.
  8. Mr. User Name

Mr. User Name

Go make up some more.
  9. lamont5123

lamont5123

Good points, Wowie.
  10. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

Umm ... I didn't say I don't understand why they do it -- just that I don't understand why they actually believe they are doing good by doing it.

Surely you are not suggesting that liberals could by hypocritical, are you? For shame!
  11. argleby

argleby

Of course, if any of those people who didn't get raises are unhappy, now is an excellent time to get another job. There's very little unemployment and the economy is booming, thanks to the Bush tax cuts and economic plan.
  12. jyris

jyris

Umm -- not to belabor the obvious -- but who do you think the minimum-wage workers will then vote for?
  13. Wowie69

Wowie69

The Republicans argue that raising the minimum wage will hurt employers who will not be able to hire as many employees.

However, studies show just the opposite. By raising the minimum wage, unemployment GOES DOWN.

I would guess that more people would consider getting a minimun wage job if it would allow them to actually get by. Right now, a person on minimum wage can barely survive.

So you raise the minimum wage and more people are working. More people will have a better standard of living.

Makes sense to me!
  14. sawgrass

sawgrass

Because that's the view of the liberals. Money solves all problems.Throw money into program after program.
  15. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

And as for that minimum wage thing . . .

I have never been able to understand why liberals feel that increasing the unemployment rate among people incapable of performing any but the most menial of jobs is actually doing those folks a favor.
  16. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

Oh . . . I thought you were complaining about the favored few GETTING raises. My bad.

But still . . . Is this really surprising? And is it really syptomatic of a particular party?

Toreador got it just right.
  17. Toreador

Toreador

Give me a fucking break. This system has been in place for decades. And in those decades there have been Rep & Dem in power
  18. justbill_redux

And Craig Livingstone applies to the "little" people at the WH NOT getting any raises how?
  19. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

And of course

something like this can only happen when the evil Republicans control the White House, right?

Does the name Craig Livingstone mean anything to you?
  20. justbill_redux

2006 WHITE HOUSE SALARY LIST
    Who's Making What In The White House

By Alexis Simendinger, for NationalJournal.com
    © National Journal Group Inc.
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006

President Bush’s most senior aides -- the ones who hold the coveted title of "assistant to the president" -- recently received a $4,200 cost-of-living bump-up in compensation and now earn a top pay rate of $165,200, according to an internal White House list of staff salaries. The list was compiled by the administration for the year that ended June 30 and is displayed both alphabetically, and by dollar ranking, below. Those at the bottom of the White House staff pay scale -- the folks answering phones and responding to the president’s mail, for example -- remain stuck at last year’s pay floor of $30,000, according to a year-to-year comparison of White House data obtained by National Journal.

[SNIP]

White House salaries and job titles are largely controlled at the discretion of the president, within the confines of the overall budget approved by Congress for the Executive Office of the President.

[SNIP]

From http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2006/0711nj1.htm

Coupled with no increase in the Federal Minimum Wage since 1997 this is Rethuglicanism at its finest.