The most underrated bands in history

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and Entertainment' started by iusedtobeone1, Apr 9, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy

Enuff Z Nuff is by far the most underrated band ever.

I agree with Graham Parker also. The guy has never put out a bad cd.
  2. joeyboy

joeyboy

most underrated band- the best live band ever KISS!!
  3. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

4. Monk

Monk

In fact, that was his best career move.
  5. BigRiddah

BigRiddah

6. lightweight

lightweight Moderator

Underated? Maybe I am wrong but I loved them and I think most people understand how good they were, I think?
    I think the Moody Blues were underated.
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy

Actually it's AC/DC which is in the top ten all time records sold (over 200 million). They're another under rated under mentioned under appreciated band. Rush sold in the 25 million area which puts them top 50 all time.
  8. morgan2

morgan2

ELO, The Sweet and I agree about Graham Parker and the Rumour
  9. Ozzy

Ozzy

The Rock n Roll HOF is a meaningless piece of garbage that shouldn't be a measuring stick to anything. They recognize Madonna as "Rock" but not bands like Rush and Deep Purple. That's like the Radio HOF which refuses to induct Howard Stern. They only caved to pressure when Joey Ramone died to induct the Ramones and Ozzy's popularity when they inducted Black Sabbath.

Iron Maiden is an under rated band cause to the metal genre they are what the Stones were to rock n roll and no one outside of the metal community respects them. Judas Priest which if Maiden is the Stones, they are the Beatles of metal.... also see no respect.

Rush aside from what the RnR HOF or VH1 thinks of them.... They are probably the most under rated band ever. They get no respect because they're only a trio, because they use synthesizers which is probably why Boston will never get any respect. Being from Canada... in other words not being from the the US, the blues south or part of the brit invasion, they tend to get over looked. They never did a lot of videos during the heyday of MTV and VH1 so they pretty much ignore them too. Rush has put out about 20 albums, and sold close to 50 million which probably ranks them in the top ten (definitely top 20) all time records sold.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  10. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

I guess the only distinction I would make is that I think that Joy Division is less under rated than promise unfullfilled directly related to IC's suicide. Though don't go by me because definitely no my musical genre
  11. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

I don't know about a better example except for me but then again like I said I think a lot of this is subjective and is based on where you come from, how old you are, what music you're into etc. I think we're talking the YMMV or GFE of music.

The Smiths I think definitely fits into the category except of course is your major frame of music is strictly or mostly English bands.

Defintely like GG the Smiths had limited commercial success and maybe that's a good definition as any also.
  12. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

And if you are going that route, perhaps Joy Division. But I guess if Ian Curtis hadn't committed suicide, they would have most likely achieved the same success as New Order.

I think listening to The Smiths during my high school years really made me into the cynic I am today. Nicely done, Thorn...

Gavy
  13. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Thorn. I was also scratching my head while I was re-reading this thread.
  14. Thorn

Thorn

OK. Much better example.

Perhaps "The Smiths" would qualify as well.
  15. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

I agree also though not necessarily with Thorn's example of Muddy Waters. Though therein may lie the problem. Muddy was not underated by long-time fans of Chicago blues and blues fans in general, nor was he underrated within the musician world. While it is true that he didn't become popular with the ex-hippie and rock and roll generation until the mid-70's (and if that is the baseline of underrated than he is) he was hardly underrated to a large segment of music fans.

I think a lot of this is perspective and where you're coming from.

I think an underrated band of the 70's and post generation would be Gentle Giant. But that's my opinion and their music was not to everybody's taste.
  16. Monk

Monk

I agree. When I first read the title of this string, I thought you'd be talking about bands that almost no one had ever heard of. One hit wonders, or bands that received very little air time. Otherwise you're just sort of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

And, really, is the R&H Hall of Fame and favor from the old foggies at Rolling Stone the standard by which you want to judge a band's merit?
  17. gg2002

gg2002

I know what it and you mean and I stand by it. Yes they have far more than a handful of gold and platinum albums and they have one of the most loyal fan followings around today, but as howdynnj said: Thay are not in the Hall of Fame and they are constantly left off list(such as VH1) of the greatest bands.

They are one of the best bands EVER. Therefore incredibly underrated.
  18. Thorn

Thorn

Here is an example.

Until the man was well into his 70's and recognized for his contribution to R&B and R&R, Muddy Water was under rated.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  19. Thorn

Thorn

Do you guys understand the meaning of "under rated'?

Having merit but not recognized by fans or critics. "Most Under rated" suggesting outstanding merit.

Rush has outstanding merit but is hardly "not recognized" by fans and critics.

The band has far more than a handful of gold and platinum records and received any number of music awards over the years.

This DOES NOT make for an under rated band. :)

Iron Maiden doesn't even qualify, though it comes closer than any number or other bands I have seen thrown out in this thread for consideration.
  20. howdynnj

howdynnj

They still aren't in the R&H Hall of Fame. Rolling Stone magazine constantly puts them down. That's why I consider them underrated.

But they still Rock! And are 3 of the most skilled musicians I've heard. I've been a fan since 2112.