The Red Sox Are Once Again Dead

Discussion in 'New York' started by RoosterC74, Sep 10, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. tomahawk9

tomahawk9

What the Yanks have: acknowledged money players.
  2. beep9

beep9

Lidle's a bit of an unknown, but the top 3 don't seem to mind pressure. Pitching wasn't the problem last year, although sending out Heredia didn't help. In spite of last night, I think the bullpen will be fine through the 9th.

Which brings me to one of my favorite gripe points: Why have the Gods declared that a 'Closer' must be brought in whenever there's a save situation. The logic seems circular. I also believe that Philly paid for it a few years back.

In any case, I worry about Izzy, and wonder where he'll be next year. [ Anyone see the reference about Oakland going after Mike Sweeney in the off season? ]
  3. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

In light of this past weekend, I wouldn't worry too much about the A's. The only real question will be how their pitching holds up against the intensified pressure of playoff games. At this juncture, both Cleveland and the Yanks would prefer facing Seattle in the first round.
  4. beep9

beep9

Right now, I'm more worried about the Ranger's, as they've always (From Time Immemorial) been able to kick the A's butts.
  5. robnotbob

robnotbob

To recap

As a 30 year Met fan...

T-Mac is great..I was bummed when Mets canned him. Now that steinbrenner has his own network, I'm sure TMac can't work for FOX and him..Seaver also good announcer. He was better as a Yankee announcer with Rizzuto, tho.
    Healy sucks
    Bobby V is great....

As I type this Mets 5 1/2 out, with 6 to play vs. Braves.
  6. littleguy

littleguy Gold

Skelly,

Fran Healy IS terrible. Tim McC IS the best. But I kind of like Sterling and Kay but sometimes they get a little much.

They complain about how the game has gone so far away from tradition and then you know what they did ? The night Musina had the perfect game going they took EVERY opportunity to say "perfect game". Now, I'm not big on superstition, in fact I consider myself not at all superstitious. However, there are a LOT of fans that ARE. I also don't mind them saying "perfect game" or "no hitter", but they did it all the time, almost to attempt to disprove superstition at all. Well, baseball players are notoriously superstitious themselves. Just seemed like they took it to an extreme.

Anyway, THAT just kinda bugged me. But I do like that duo.
  7. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

the Mets were not making it up to Seaver at all

Seaver would be better as a GM than a manager

judge a manager by his managerial skills than whether you like him as a person or not or he ticks you off.

as far as understanding the game there are very few who understand it as well as valentine. torre doesn't even come close. torre's strength is his people skills which only really work well with veteran teams with player leadership.

there is no more knowledgeable sportscaster than TMc.

the only person WORSE than Sterling and McKay is Healy. And thats only because it takes a certain amount of unskill to make intelligent things unintelligible and sound stupid. Healy is a master at that.
  8. littleguy

littleguy Gold

I don't particularly care for Bobby V. I think he's a bit of a phony, but it's hard to argue with the results.

2 years ago, playoffs, last year a loss in the WS, this year, with a weaker pitching staff and no hitting, timely or otherwise, and left for dead months ago, here it is in mid-Sept with an admittedly long-shot chance at first place after years of non-contention.........
  9. Ozzy

Ozzy

i think the mets were making it up to seaver for the three previous times they screwed him....'77(when they traded him), '83(when they left him unprotected) and in 94? when they should have made him the manager and instead he accepted a yankee broadcasting job.

i think they should can valentine and make that move now(name seaver mngr), then you have room to bring tmac back.....but they're way too stupid to do that, besides valentine must have something on them to keep his sorry ass around all this time.

btw...i missed last nighs game, how many poses did bobby v strike on the top step of the dugout. sometimes he reminds me of gen mcarthur the way he poses when he knows he's on TV.

hey bobby.....it's about the game....it's not about you.
  10. RoosterC74

RoosterC74

Welcome Back Curry

Curry,

Once again, welcome back and glad to see you posting again. It is also nice to see that this thread got back to the its original topic of Baseball and the demise of the Boston Team.

As for the other guy that continues to drag out the worse parts of this thread-I believe that I stated once-that I was only going to respond to the part of this post that dealt with baseball and not the other somewhat negative issue. And by the way-sometimes 21 year olds can see things quite clearly.
  11. Kimmie

Kimmie

Oh Please No more Tim

He is the worse announcer..And his voice is like nails on a chalk board.. I hope the Mets take him back because the Yankees could do without him. He is right up there with Joe Morgan.. When the game is on Fox I put Sterling and Kay on. They provide the best coverage of the Yankees..

Kisses
    LETS GO YANKEES!!
  12. wimpy

wimpy

Don't be surprised if TMAC is in the Mets booth next year.
  13. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

Am I the only one who was really pissed off when the Mets bounced Tim McCarver to accomodate Tom Seaver ??? ( at least that's the way I remember it )
  14. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Where do they get all these pitiful announcers nowadays? Maybe being an ex-ballplayer doesn't qualify you as an announcer after all.
  15. robnotbob

robnotbob

METS WIN, METS WIN THEEEEEEEEEE METS WIN!!

Not the same as "We'll be back with the happy recap...."

Ya gotta love The Murph......
  16. Cheater

Cheater

Typical Mets ...

They play just well enough to tease us for next year.
  17. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Mets win again!
  18. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

No need to worry about cold in November - Seattle has a retractable roof
  19. littleguy

littleguy Gold

What's the matter Rooster, can't answer a direct question or 7 ?

Just like you. When presented with a point of view you cannot respond to you stick your tongue out and quote 21 year olds. Way to go. I will not respond to any more of your posts on this. I'm sure you will appreciate having the last word.
  20. jmcurry

jmcurry The Insider

Rooster: I agree about November. It will be mighty cold when the wind blows across the outfield on November the 3rd. I have already dusted off the North Face in preparation.

As an aside, I did not leave the board due to controversy. My life got hectic, as all of ours does from time to time. In light of last week's events in Manhattan, I decided it was time to return to a cadre of folks who march to a similar drummer