The War on Christmas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by justbill_redux, Dec 6, 2005.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Happy pagan holiday wrapped in the guise of pseudo-christianity
  2. jras

jras

merry xmas
  3. D!RKD!GGLER

D!RKD!GGLER

Merry Christmas!!
  4. goofy3

goofy3

I have no problem with the president, a sales person, or any one else wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. My reasoning for this will drive the born again crowd up the wall: there are a hell of a lot people, including myself, that celebrate Christmas as a social construct, but really attach no religious signifigance to it. I celebrate Halloween without believing that a carved pumpkin will frighten away evil spirits, I buy presents and decorate a tree in December without thought to how the tradition started.
    Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!
  5. RoosterC74

RoosterC74

It is pretty simple to me, and maybe I view it too simplistic, however, if you celebrate Christmas, you certainly should make use of the word Chistmas. I for one, celebrate Christmas in many ways. Yes, the religous part of being a Catholic. And of course, the Santa Claus part of it giving gifts, and watching the young ones enjoy all of the festivities that include: Rudolph, Santa, Elf's, etc. Thus, when we as a family send out our cards for the season, they certainly contain the word Christmas on them. And when I shake a friends hands I certainly wish them a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

In my view, this entire politically correct bull shit has gotten way out of hand. If you are Jewish, and practice your faith, you certainly should enjoy the days of your religous holiday. If you are Black, the same would be true. And if your faith takes you to Christmas, then why not wish people a Merry Christmas?

The lights are on each night in the front of my home, the tree is already up and decorated, the nativity scene is up, and I am going shopping for presents today, so what the hell is wrong with that? I am not suggesting that those that do not believe in those types of things do them, however, I certainly have the right to do it, if that is what both my family and I wish to do-no?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  6. zarathustra88

zarathustra88

Why won't it come up for me. Get the tiny red and blue colored box in the upper left corner only. SS is cracking me up more than anybody these days. Couple of her riffs in the recent New Yorker profile had me falling off my chair. Don't know how her stuff translates to the big screen though, 'Jesus is magic' hasn't been widely distributed-haven't even seen many reviews.
  7. LoonyTunes

LoonyTunes

"IT WAS A FARGIN' TRICK QUEST" victor moroni

8. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

9. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

It doesn't matter that Christmas is a made up holiday. It's the fact that the US Government declared it a holiday and the PC crowd wants to de-christianize the event. This is a culture war, not a war over historical accuracy. Most folks want to celebrate the Christ Mass. It's just symbolic, but isn't most religion?
  10. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Uh, let's see. Exodus 20 verse 13 says "Thou shalt not kill...." That wasn't too hard to find now was it?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10c4.htm

Exodus 20:
    2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
    13 Thou shalt not kill.
    14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    15 Thou shalt not steal.
    16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
    17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  11. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie

Cristmas Shmistmas

Always interesting to me what offends some folks. I really don't object the word Christmas being used in holiday greetings. But it may be time to move on. Lots of people have simply outgrown Christianity. Now don't throw a fit, I'm not saying anything so terrible against it. I'm just saying that the core beliefs aren't being swallowed as easily as they used to be. Many Christians consider any form of Polytheism to be ridiculous. Well, perhaps people will soon find Christianity to be ridiculous.

It's just a simple matter of convenience to me. Easy to just lump it all together.

And I was raised Catholic. As an institution, it was relatively harmless. Actually it helped many around me. As long as you didn't take the dogma too seriously. I actually genuinely liked most priests I knew. Even the one that was brought up on molestation charges. A bogus charge btw. A certain priest was wanted out for political reasons so then some guy in his 20's comes out with some molestation story. The poor preists get a bad rap for that. At 13, I was alone with priests on many occasions. Not so much as a pat on the butt. Frankly, I feel a little slighted. And so what if someone gets diddled by a priest every once in a while. We should all be so lucky that the worst thing that ever happens to you is a priest diddling you a little.

Anyways, the doorman, the delivery guy ect, they can all give a flying fuck if the money hollder/card you give them says Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Go Blow Yourself Day as long as the cash is there.

Lets not forget that's what this holiday is really about. Humans were celebrating at the beginning of Winter long before the popularity of Christmas. It's about reciprocity. It's time to pay up. Something virtually all societies understand, reciprocity. Maybe you're not rewarding your peasants for a good year but there's a good chance you're somehow letting someone know what you think of them this year. Or maybe you're setting yourself up for the future. Whatever, it's exchange time. Try to enjoy it.
  12. justbill_redux

Did someones Tzitzit get wedged in a wrong spot when he woke up on the wrong side of the bed?
  13. LoonyTunes

LoonyTunes

December 25 is made up!

go to http://www.sploid.com/news/2005/12/are_you_jesus.php

jesus' "birthday" is a MADE UP HOLIDAY PEOPLE!!!

also how many of you mistakenly believe that "thou shall not kill" is one of the 15 oy! 10 , 10 commandments

i also laughed my ass off watching Colbert Report the othe day when the word of the day was

Xmas
    his parody of o'reilly is just spot on!
  14. justbill_redux

So let me see if I have this right, you're not religious, (see above) hence my secular label and I know you're Jewish hence my Jew label. So whats the beef? Perhaps irony isn't part of your thinking process but that was a rant against the Americian Talibian, you know the same guys you profess to disdain and all of this bullshit goes back to the RW shitheads, like O'Reilly and Gibson. FWIW I could care less whats on anyones Christmas/Hanukkah/Holiday/whateverthefuckyoucallit cards.
  15. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

No, I don't think you can hotlink on that site. My computer has all the bells and whistles but it just went to the C&L homepage. I suspect I wasn't the only one who didn't know what you were talking about. Besides the thread you were referring to, there were two others which fit the topic: "Olbermann's: War on Christmas" and "Why does Bush hate Christmas?" Confusing, but I'll just chalk it up to your old age as to why you didn't realize it didn't go right to the clip you wanted. Maybe you need a nap?
  16. justbill_redux

Hmmm what thread on C&L, hmmmmmm. whats the topic of this thread, hmmmmm lets see ahhh yea The War on Christmas. Hmmm link says here says http://movies.crooksandliars.com/TDS-OReilly-bustedonChristmas.wmv under properties, hmmmm HEY LOOK C&L has a thread named

The Daily Show slams O'Reilly over using a year old "DS" Christmas bit

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/12/07.html#a6225

Apparently you cant hotlink to video clips on C&L but someone with a 6th grade education could have figured it out. Cause thats a NY/NJ 6th grade education, not one of them there good Bush RED state education.
  17. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Just which thread are you referring to? Can you save me the torture from having to look at the whole site. I see that Howard Sperm is defending Howierd Dean. At least someone is defending him since I see that most Dems are running from him as fast as they can for the latest stupid comments he made. (TBT, I hope Dean doesn't go anywhere because he's a disaster for the Dems)
  18. justbill_redux

19. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

I got the card the other day and there is a prayer displayed prominantly on the inside top of it. Sounds religious enough to me, don't care what anyone says. I guess they should send out cards individually for Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Festivus, etc. Then everyone would be happy.
  20. jras

jras

just seems ironic for a born-again
    (maybe he's lied about that too)