This defies dumbness...

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by lamont5123, May 31, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. lamont5123

lamont5123

njman,

I agree. Nice post.
  2. njman2

njman2

It is better for these teams to be local. A local or nearer IMT team would have, perhaps, responded sooner. I think that the whole of the US needs coverage and redundancy. We need to build this up sooner rather than later. I think that this is a start to that.

NY has its team set up and I'm sure it will continue. It is upto local folks (mayor, governer) to keep these teams going, even expand them. As other teams come up, their area of coverage can be reduced - they can be better adapted to local conditions and needs.

Katrina Proved, to me at least, that local governments and institutions need to be stronger and less dependant on federals for responding to disasters.
  3. lamont5123

lamont5123

Normally, I'd salute your comment and even crack a joke about it.

But my son joined the Marines partly because I worked in the World Trade Center and we both loved that place.

9-11 was an eye-opener of epic precautions.

We lost a lot of good people that day. I lost two friends.

Some of the anti-terrorism money that came to New York in the wake of the 2001 terror attacks went towards paying for an Incident Management Team, a coalition of police and fire dept. first responders that is crucial in any disaster.

New York has the only IMT east of the Mississippi and it was sent to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Yes, I'd love to see less LE manpower devoted to arresting us, closing chica houses and harrassing massage parlors.

But not at the expense of perhaps, a D train being bombed.

I value the lives of all New Yorkers and New Jerseyeans far above my need for a sexual hi-jink.
  4. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

I care. But I have to cut through all the BS to get value. All the hand wringing and alarmism is laughable. Do you want an echo chamber or a real discussion?

About 95% of the anti-bush stuff is just alarmist nonesense. If the press had any real dirt or violations on Bush, they would follow up, follow through and prove something. As it is, most of the "scandals" they come up with or human rights violations turn out to be nothing.

They are so eager to step on what they perceive to be the camel's nose in the tent, they don't even check it to see what it really is.

" We killed the Patriot ACT! " says the minority leader with pride!

There just isn't any watergate to be found. Sorry.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  5. daengman

daengman

The decision may have been a blessing in disguise for mongers.

I can't for the life of me see the value of these political arguements on this board. Except for those who post the inane and fruitless comments, probably, NO ONE ELSE THIS BOARD REALLY CARES!! And, unless the desperate jackasses get a grip on the situation (which I see no inclination of), they will be mostly out of power over the next fifty or so years just as they have been over the past 50 plus years,

The blessing that I refer to is the fact that if there is less fed money for anti-terrorism then there will be a need to shift city money into that effort. Neither Bloomy or Kelly want to be known as the one that let terrorists strike on their watch. That shift in money, at some point, will result in deminished prossie posse projects. So mongers rejoice, at least some of us will be safer.
  6. its_mousey

its_mousey

ONE: This administration did NOT send "billions in aid...virtually overnight" to asia. It was only AFTER intense criticism (from here and abroad) of its paltry and inept initial response did this administration eventually (and w/great reluctance) send meaningful aid to S.E. Asia affected by the tsunami and to the earthquake stricken parts of Pakistan.

TWO: Why should we post why this administration was able eventually to send aid overseas but has been unable (or unwilling) to do the same for New Orleans - when the answer is quite obvious. Why don't ya' know Ozzy, this administration isn't too keen on negroes - especially the "looting" kind!Advanced clarification for the dull-witted: Yes, this is a tongue and cheek comment.

*Squeak!*
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy

It doesn't matter where speciffically the money went or for what. If the funding wasn't split up between so many areas of need there would be more to go around and thus wouldn't be peeled from more important places.

It would also help if the city didn't squander those ACCOUNTABLE terror funds paying NYPD overtime to chase hookers and credit card scammers...... That comes from my friend who is very in the know.

And I gave that shithead props once for something I can't recall now... That doesn't change the fact he's wrong in calling me a liar here when no one has proved otherwise. It also doesn't change the fact that he's the biggest asshole on this board and while many dislike me cause I'm outspoken and say it like it is no matter how hard the truth is or how much so many refuse to hear it.... Many more laugh at him cause he's such a delusional republican hating prick, who spends his days starting threads about any republican he can dig up in any obscure news source.

He's typical of those who just stand in the way of progress or ideas, but take a seat in the back of the room and go to sleep when new ideas are requested.

Now I'm done with political threads since I can't even comment on a non partisan issue without being mugged by justademocratichack.
  8. Rokin

Rokin

Ozzy
    Didn't you give props to Justbill on another thread about how accurate he is or was I just dreaming?
  9. DHS didn't cut NYC's or WDC's funding because they shifted the money out of anti-terrorism to fund disaster relief.
  10. Ozzy

Ozzy

What bullshit you fucking asshole. Of the ONE fact I posted... whats not correct other than you now look like a complete fool in calling it a lie. You constantly calling me a liar just because you don't like me is the biggest continuous lie of all. Shames you that I'm gifted with so much more fucking common sense than you doesn't it.

And Dave... you should know better. Go fucking read what I said.

Homeland security funds both anti terrorism and natural disasters. If it only had to fund terrorism needs it wouldn't have to peel off needed money to feed the other. It's not the decision.... it's the flawed system

Instead of being so zealous to go after me and Bush, you people should be posting about why this govt can send billions in aid and earth moving equipment virtually overnight to the Pacific rim every time they have a fucking earthquake, but can't seem to do the same when a hurricane hits New Orleans.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  11. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

That doesn't change the fact that cutting NYC and Washington D.C.'s funding so drastically is a stupid move.
  12. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

No, you should have known not to post some bullshit. As I see it you can do 1 of 3 things.

1. Actually check the facts before you post. (Highly recommended)
    2. Dont post at all. (Not recommended)
    3. Keep posting in the same old factless way and keep proving what a fucking moron and liar you are. (Again, not the course I would take)

Bahahahaha, you are a fucking lying moron.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy

I should have known not to post here that you'd be waiting to stalk my evry post.

But once again you're just-a-liar cause what I said is the truth and I defy even you to prove that wrong. Same fund, same area of the national budget, that supplies money to fight domestic terror and domestic natural disasters.

You fucking stupid dope.
  14. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

I guess thats why they call it "Urban Areas Security Initiative Grants"

DHS Introduces Risk-based Formula for Urban Areas Security Initiative Grants

For Immediate Release
    Office of the Press Secretary
    January 3, 2006

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced today $765 million in direct funding for high threat urban areas as part of the fiscal year 2006 Urban Areas Security Initiative (UASI). UASI provides resources for the unique equipment, training, planning, and exercise needs of select high threat urban areas.

“The department is investing federal funding into our communities facing the greatest risk and demonstrating the greatest need in order to receive the highest return in our nation’s security,” said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. “Our nation’s preparedness and the support of our emergency responders on the frontlines of the war against terrorism must be a shared effort. We will continue to champion funding on the basis of risk and need, and we urge Congress to do the same to ensure that our finite resources are allocated and prioritized successfully.”

In fiscal year 2006, the department identified 35 areas eligible to apply for and receive funding. These 35 areas encompass 95 cities with populations of 100,000 or more. This year’s formula promotes a “super” UASI concept that is designed to build greater regional capabilities across a geographic area. In addition, 11 urban areas from the fiscal year 2005 UASI have been identified as eligible to apply for sustainment funding in fiscal year 2006, to ensure that strategic investments made thus far can be completed and to identify projects that, if funded, would significantly reduce risk.

All eligible applicants must submit an investment justification, which identifies needs and outlines the intended security enhancement plan to be addressed with funding, to meet the target capabilities outlined in the National Preparedness Goal. Investment justifications will be reviewed, scored, and prioritized along with risk factors to determine which investments should be funded to best address need and minimize risk.

The fiscal year 2006 UASI list of eligible applicants and recipients is determined through a robust risk formula that considers three primary variables: consequence, vulnerability, and threat. Factors such as the presence of international borders, population and population density, the location of critical infrastructure, formal mutual aid cooperation, law enforcement investigations and enforcement activity are considered in correlation with the risk formula for UASI determinations.

Cities on the UASI list with shared boundaries were combined for fiscal year 2006 into a single entity and urbanized areas outside the official city limits were also included in order to establish a geographic area for enhanced risk analysis, reflecting a regional approach to shared risk and risk-mitigation. Other expansions to the program in fiscal year 2006 include the incorporation of threat analysis from intelligence community products that reflect risk as seen through various attack modes, such as the incorporation of transient populations and greater depth and breadth in infrastructure data.

More than $2.1 billion has been allocated through UASI since the 2003 fiscal year. Since 9/11, $8.6 billion has been provided in overall grant funding to states and territories to enhance first responder capabilities in preventing, protecting and responding to acts of terrorism.

Source Homeland Security Website

Truth 3 - Truthiness 56
  15. Ozzy

Ozzy

Did anyone take into consideration that these funds are not just designated to fight terrorism but also to aid in disaster relief?

I didn't think so.

It's the system that s dumb, not this particular decision.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  16. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

Homeland Security also cut the funding for DC. Clearly not a hot target.

Maybe Bush just figures if NYC is destroyed and Memphis and Jacksonville are more fortified, the country will be a better place. The Nascar circuit must be protected!!
  17. It's a well known fact that Osama plans to hit America where it hurts: Graceland...
  18. lamont5123

lamont5123

It is hard for me to fathom these Bushies. How in the hell do they sleep at night or even look at themselves in the mirror?

These bozos have decided that New York City, the Big Apple, the city that has been the target of more terrorist attacks than any other U.S. locale, is no longer a hot target.

Yes, that's right! The Department of Homeland Security, that bureacracy that encouraged Americans to buy plastic sheeting and duct tape for protection, gave us that stupid color coded scheme and oh, who can forget those phony alerts?

This group of pinheads have just cut New York's anti-terrorism funding by 40%. That's a loss of some $83 million.

Instead, Omaha, Memphis, Jacksonvile, Fla., will get more money.

Oh, yeah, Osama's got Nebraska on his mind.

I guess New Yorkers should no longer worry.

After all, as Dick Cheney says: "The insurgency is in its last throes."

Full story here
    Last edited: May 31, 2006