This is what we need to be worried about..not gas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Daddycool, Apr 25, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. un4given

un4given

Trying to think rationally....

I am trying to analyze this whole Iranian situation based upon facts. Firstly, I will start with the premise that the United States and the world have a vested interest in preserving the current treaties, including the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. While some have made arguments that Iran should be attacked for its aggressive diplomatic posturing, its support for Hezbollah, its looney statements regarding Israel, and other reasons, my premise implies that a Security Council sanction, that legitimizes military force is required, and in order to obtain that sanction, the NNPT must be breached.

Therefore, my first question to the more informed in this forum is: Does the NNPT allow for nuclear power pursuit? Is this end clearly defined in the treaty? If it is not, have there been examples in the past of co-signatories to the NNPT developing and implementing nuclear reactor technology, and what were the consequences of this action?

Since I do not know the answer to my question, lets continue to rationalize both scenarios. If the NNPT is being breached, and Iran is stating its intent to develop the technology in spite of its contractual obligations, and these contractual obligations have been previous enforced in all cases in the past, then it should suffer similar consequences today. I dont see a reason for controversy, in that case! We should pursue this matter aggressively.

The second possibility is that the NNPT specifically allows for nuclear power to be pursued, doesn't mention such application of nuclear technology, or prohibits it, but in the past the enforcement of this article was selective. All this would imply that proof is required that nuclear weapons are being developed under the guise of power technology. Without this proof, we would be violating and nullifying the NNPT, and showing contempt for the very law we are attempting to defend.

Is this the issue - whether or not peaceful application of nuclear technology is allowed under the NNPT, and if it is, whether we can prove they are developing weapons? Or am I missing some piece of the puzzle beyond the "who cares about the NNPT, we don't like them so lets bomb them" rationale.
  2. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Somehow I think the irony would be lost on most of the world, especially Iran's neighbors who would surely suffer from the radiation's after-effects.
  3. DVDMASTER

DVDMASTER

Nuke It!

I would just nuke the entire country .
  4. JaxHammer

JaxHammer

Daddycool, I stand corrected sir.
  5. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

with all due respect, how could you know any of this?

I find it highly unlikely we have enough intelligence assetts inside Iran that we can know with confidence all their nuclear sites. And after the intelligence fiasco over Iraq's WMD, I wouldn't believe it even if the White House said they did know where all the nuclear sites are.

7 days??? Iraq was less equipped than Iran is militarily right now, and we've been there for 3 years. How do you figure it will be over in 7 days?
  6. Daddycool

Daddycool

Maybe you saw this article. Here is the link for that http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Russia-Iran nuclear deal signed

The signing had been delayed several times
    Russia and Iran have signed an agreement for Moscow to supply fuel to Iran's new nuclear reactor in Bushehr
  7. Daddycool

Daddycool

not true

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060412/45719776.html link to whole article.

Russia has opposed Security Council sanctions against Iran. In a bid to defuse the crisis, it proposed enriching uranium for Iranian nuclear power plants via a joint venture to be based in Russia. Tehran, however, rejected the proposal, but said it could still be discussed.
  8. JaxHammer

JaxHammer

They forgot to mention they are actively cooperating with the Russians for the uranimum enrichment program in Russia and not Iran.
  9. seeker6591

seeker6591 banned

1. we (and others) know exactly where they are.

2. no troops needed ..this is actually the plan.

3. no war here....a 7 day air operation.

pretty neat huh? lets hope it works !!!!
  10. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Problem is Seeker....our intelligence isn't that good on Iran (or anywhere else in the middle east for that matter), so we don't know where a lot of the nuclear targets are. We can never be sure we've gotten then all without verification on the ground. That takes US soldiers inside Iran. I somehow suspect this won't be a neat and tidy war. Besides, if we do decide to do something about Iran, we had better tighten up our borders here at home first.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  11. seeker6591

seeker6591 banned

Simple Solution

nah.. thats an easy one Dc.

7 day bombing campaign...with this profile.

1. knock out command and control facilities

2. knock out strategic assets...and then..

3. knock out the nuclear assets.

the question is..why wait ... our air force is already in place....saves time and money.

i suspect that if this continues, you will see activity before the elections ..either in 2006 or 2008.
  12. Lou Grant

Lou Grant

It seems to me that they are trying very hard to elicit a reaction from one of the Western nations (i.e. military action by either USA or Israel) as a means to incite the entire region. And I think they are doing a very good job of it.
  13. Daddycool

Daddycool

TEHRAN, Iran(AP) Iran threatened Tuesday to begin hiding its nuclear program if the West takes any "harsh measures" against it, in the country's sharpest rebuttal yet to a U.N. Security Council deadline to suspend uranium enrichment or face possible sanctions.

Iran's supreme leader, meanwhile, said in a meeting with the president of wartorn Sudan that Tehran was ready to transfer its nuclear technology to other countries.

"Military action against Iran will not end our program," Larijani said at a conference on the energy program. "If you take harsh measures, we will hide this program. If you use the language of force, you should not expect us to act transparently."

On Tuesday, Larijani said flatly that Iran would not abide by Friday's deadline to suspend enrichment, and would halt all cooperation with the IAEA and pull out of the treaty if sanctions were imposed.