Tip Jars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bushleaguer, Dec 31, 2005.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy

I long forgot about the trackside BBQ at YR.

That poor guy in the bathroom must have worked there over 20 years.

I used to sit in the dining room almost every night from the mid eighties to early 90s. It used to cost me about $15 a night before I even got to my table between tipping the maitre de, captain, and busboys.
  2. trigger

trigger

The only tip I give these establishments like Jiffy Lube, and Starbuck's is to hire competent people. How hard is it for someone to give exact change when it is electronically displayed to you? I am sorry you had a fight with your SO, does it mean you need to have a nasty attitude when servicing me? These tips should be scribbled and placed in their tip cups or should I say suggestion boxes.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  3. bushleaguer

bushleaguer The CDC

Aside from a few (what would be considered) classy resturaunts I've been to, the only strip club I've visited that had a bathroom attendant was Flashdancers in NYC. This was quite a few years ago, so I don't know if they still do.
    It was a novel idea....especially for the married monger. He had an array of cologne so that you could erase that stripper perfume (seems like there is a universal one they use) that was on you from lap dances. He also had breath mints and even a jar of combs immersed in that blue disinfectant you only see at a barbershop. Of course I tipped him, but he was a rather chatty fellow who made it difficult to pee because he wouldn't clam up.
  4. njbandit

njbandit

On busy nights they even have a bathroom attendant with a tip jar at some local SCs...totally unnecessary considering how nasty the bathrooms are to begin with.
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy

They had tip jars by the trackside BBQ at Yonkers for years.
  6. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy

Yet another absolute classic observation BMM. I myself have been a major contributor to the bathroom guy at Yonkers Raceway for the past 25 years.
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy

The bathroom guy at Aqueduct can point you to a whore house around the corner from Don Pepe.
  8. BigMadM

BigMadM Linoleum

my favorite of all time is the guy who sits in the bathroom, and hands you a paper towel when you wash your hands, he has several plates throughout the bathroom, in case you dont see only one of them.
    I toss in some loose change when I have it, figuring the guy has to sit in the shitter all day.
    I particularly dont mind tipping the guy at Yonkers Raceway the 2 times in my life I had to use the toilet, he sprays the seat, wipes it down, and asks me if I want a newspaper to read. Its still dangerous, but I think my whoring is just a tad more dangerous.
  9. beadman

beadman

Everyone stop posting in this thread and just tip you bunch of cheap fucks.

Save Slinky !
  10. MetroJay1

MetroJay1

Tips are out of hand all over society. I remember my good friend told me he spent $1500 just on tips at his wedding. CRAZY !!
  11. Traderdave

Traderdave

Tip-definition to insure prompt service. I don't tip someone just because they are doing their job.
  12. smileee

smileee

13. lamont5123

lamont5123

You can register your displeasure with a frown.
  14. Al Kikuras

Al Kikuras

Yes, I'm tired of seeing tip cups, at stores especially coffee shops. Coffee is a Ultra hi profit item, that in my opinion does not require a tip. A refrigerator, or furniture delivery on the other hand I would gladly hand over a thoughtful tip for the persons hard work. (There are many other services I would tip, but did not mention)
  15. bushleaguer

bushleaguer The CDC

Is it just me, or have businesses gotten carried away with these things?
    Used to be you'd walk into a deli or bagel place and there would be a collection for a cause....abused animals, a childhood disease and so on. Now you walk into a deli and there's a tip jar. Where I live the folks at Dunkin Donuts have a tip jar, as does the local bagel place. Not only that, but I stopped by one of those jiffy lube places, and the cashier had a tip jar (crudely fashioned out of tupperware....it said "TIPS" and underneath said "Thancks you much") next to the cash register.
    Why is everyone looking for a tip all of a sudden? Sure, if you don't want to tip someone you simply don't put any change in their jar. But I find it bordering on insulting. Why the hell would I tip the cashier at a Jiffy Lube?
    I don't get it. A kid that works weekends at the video store I manage mentioned the possibility of a tip jar a while back. I told him that there is such a thing called "customer service," and said service does not require extra compensation. If a person asks if you have a particular movie and you have to take a trip from behind the counter to see....this does not give someone the right to put their hand out (whether it be literally or in the form of a plastic jar marked "tips."