Two random questions about:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gavvy Cravath, Apr 12, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Gavvy Cravath

Gavvy Cravath Moderator Emeritus

Another question...

What is the difference between American cheese and Velveeta?

Gavy
  2. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

Aw, now I'm blushing.
  3. genius

genius

Just saw this thread.

U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 471and 1720 it is illegal to "Reuse a postage stamp whether cancelled or not."

The operant word here is "reuse".

Here is my take on it: (FWIW) A stamp that was not used to pay for postage is not reused. A stamp not cancelled on a letter you get via the mail is still used.

Putting a stamp on a letter, then removing it and putting it on another letter (maybe you made a mistake on the 1st one) is not "reusing a postage stamp" because it was not used in the 1st place for postage.

(I have too, too much free time on my hands)
  4. Gavvy Cravath

You see, you guys actually were civil to one another a while back. Nice job to both of you guys in the other threads. Good "playing nice".

Gavy
  5. SlickWilly

SlickWilly

Never ask Cliffy. You'll just get one of those long-winded answers.
  6. jp1064

jp1064

I'm curious... does the USPS have scanners to scan for used stamps? In the old days before computers, who the hell looked at each envelope to see if the stamp had been used. How the hell does this work. Is it a trust thing?
  7. paulbunyon

paulbunyon

Stamps should be fine Gav as long as there are no marks on them from the P.O.
  8. Waterclone

Waterclone Go ahead. Try me.

I believe that a stamp is good until it has been cancelled, which is the postal stamp that goes over it on every delivered letter. They should be fine.
  9. DoNotDisturb

DoNotDisturb

I think the USPS will have a problem if you cut the stamp off of the envelope, where it is obviously being reused. If is NOT one of those self-stick types, soak them in warm water to loosen the stamp from the envelope - place it in between a couple of napkins to dry them out and glue-stick them back on
  10. FlipMo

FlipMo

Where's Cliff Clavin and Newman! when you need them?
  11. redleg609

redleg609

It is unlawful to take a stamp that was affixed to an envelope, remove it and glue or tape it to a different envelope. No idea why I know this.

It's like once the glue is used, the stamp is used. However, there should be no problem re-addressing the envelope to which the stamp is attached and thereby using the stamp.
  12. biglarry1

biglarry1

I used to work in an office where people would drop off their payments in the door overnight and usually being the first one in the office, I would get the payments first and there would be an average of 4-5 envelopes that had stamps on them with no postage mark and I would tear off the corner and later peel off the stamp and use the stamp myself. Never had any problem with it. I know I'm a cheap bastard.
  13. Jordan

Jordan banned

Sure why not on both questions.
  14. Gavvy Cravath

Postage stamps and mistakes on my tax form.

OK, I left the accountant yesterday without completely going over my form. I picked up one mistake: she typed "Place" instead of "Street". Talked to bunyon last night and he said ust make a one stroke crossout of "Place" and write "Street" next to it and initial the mistake. Did just that. Just want a confirmation. Is this Kosher?

OK, postage stamps. Over the years, I have stamped sealed envelops and then had to go and reopen the old envelop. Yesterday, I had to reopen the envelope for my NYS Tax Return. It kind of kills me to throw out unused stamps, so I put them by my checkbook and calculator in a little NY Islander cup. Last night, I realized I have about 4 dollars in unused stamps (ones that have been used, but never postmarked...on mistaken envelopes). Question: Can I use a glue stick and reuse this used but unpostmarked stamps?

Any help on the above questions would be appreciated!

Thanks...
    Gavy