Waffling an idea around

Discussion in 'New York' started by Beth<3, Feb 23, 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. littleguy

littleguy Gold

FINALLY I get the right address of the web site (once your ad is posted). Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  2. Beth<3

Beth<3

Oh really?

You had better forgive me or else no more rides on the lawn mower for you mister!
    Sorry about that LG, I couldn't help myself, I will make it up to you next time, I promise.

RoyalWulff-
    You can look at the classifieds to view my web site!
    Enjoy!
  3. littleguy

littleguy Gold

I don't know if *I* can forgive you. (grin)

"Leave the guns...... Take the canolas" (sic) :)
  4. Beth<3

Beth<3

Genius,
    I am guilty gullible, I am. Can you forgive me?
    Note to self never doubt genius....
  5. genius

genius

Re: Not True!

The WWW is a wonderful thing - problem is anyone with 20 bucks a month and a computer can set up a web site.

I found this on the consumer reports site:

"One widely circulated urban myth maintains that canola oil is toxic and can cause everything from asthma to heart disease. One measure of the myth's durability: Type in "canola oil" on a popular World Wide Web search engine, and eight of the first ten sites listed trumpet the oil's supposed ill effects.

In truth, canola oil is not just safe. It's also one of the most healthful cooking oils available, since it's low in artery-clogging saturated fat and relatively high in monounsaturated fat, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E, all of which may be good for the heart."
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  6. Beth<3

Beth<3

Not True!

I typed it in dangers of Canola oil in MSN and this is what came up!
    Oh boy, your right though, I just looked at the web site from where it came and it is the Forest University Baptist Medical Center.
    OK I will believe anything!
  7. genius

genius

Before you do that consider the following:
    When I read the stuff by Beth<3 I scratched my head wondering just where info like that can come from as it is so incredibely at odds with all my knowledge of canola and its benefits. Unfortunately, she didnt give any references so it took a while to find her source using Google: www.karinya.com/canola.htm

I have no clue of what axe they have to grind but while you are at it you can read all about:

" If you have an interest in UFOs, unexplained mysteries, controversial science and the like, then you've come to the right place! Inside you will find lots of videos from some of the best known folks in these subjects, and a few books and audio tapes from them too."

This and other "scientific " information about canola oils and other subjects is under ADDITIONAL RESOURCES.

Be sure to do as the writers of this web site suggest:" Again, keep an open mind and then you will not miss anything."

Enjoy.
  8. curious

curious

Fuck it. I'm throwing the bottle out for tomorrow's trash collection.
  9. Beth<3

Beth<3

This is what I was referring too!

Canola Oil is an Industrial Oil Not Fit For Human Consumption.
    It's amazing to me...The more research I do, the more I see a relationship between the food we eat and fatal diseases. Canola oil is no exception. Now comes information that Canola Oil is the suspected causative agent for Scrapie, a viral disease transmitted to cattle who were fed rendered sheep infected with Scrapie. Both Scrapie and Mad Cow Disease destroy the brain's ability to function. They literally eat the brain away, causing blindness, loss of mind and erratic behaviour.

Canola oil's real name is "LEAR" oil (Low Erucic Acid Rape). it is more commonly known as "rape oil," a semi-drying oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap and synthetic rubber base, and as an illuminant to give color pages in magazines their slick look. In short it is an industrial oil that does not belong in the human body.

It is typically referred to in light industry as a penetrating oil. Back in the 1980's, rape oil was widely used in animal feeds in England and throughout Europe. It was banned in 1991. Since then, Scrapie in sheep has totally disappeared. While that's good for Europeans, it is bad for Americans because the problem is now ours.

Rape seed oil (Canola oil) is widely used in thousands of processed foods...with the blessings of our own government. Canola oil was first developed in Canada. It's proponents claim that due to genetic engineering and irradiation, it is no longer rape oil, but "canola" (Canadian oil). They also claim it is completely safe, pointing to it's unsaturated structure and digestibility. Although, I could not verify it, it is claimed the Canadian government paid the FDA the sum of $50 million dollars to have canola oil placed on the GRAS list (Generally Recognized As Safe). However it was done, a new industry was created.

The truth is, however, that rape is the most toxic of all food oil plants. Not even insects will eat it. No wonder farmers like growing it. It turns out that rape is a member of the mustard family of plants, and is the source for the chemical agent, mustard gas, which causes blistering on skin and lungs when inhaled. Mustard Gas was banned after WWI for this very reason.

Studies of canola oil done on rats indicate many problems. Rats developed fatty degeneration of heart, kidney, adrenals and thyroid gland. When the canola oil was withdrawn from their diet, the deposits dissolved, but scar tissue remained on the organs. Why were no studies done on humans before the FDA placed it on the GRAS list? Consumed in food, Canola oil depresses the immune system, causing it to "go to sleep."

Canola oil is high in glycosides which cause health problems by blocking (inhibiting) enzyme function. It's effects are accumulative, taking years to show up. One possible effect of long term use is the destruction of the protective coating surrounding nerves called the mylin sheath. When this protective sheath is gone, our nerves short-circuit causing erratic, uncontrollable movements.

To test the industrial penetrating strength of canola oil, soak a towel in both canola oil and regular vegetable oil. Pre-treat and wash the towel in your clothes washer and compare the area the two oils occupied...you will notice an oil stain remains on the area soaked in canola oil. It is so durable, it could take several washings to completely remove. Now if this is how canola oil penetrates the fabric of a towel, what damage can it do in our body? Because canola oil is so cheap, it is now widely used in the food industry. If you are curious, just read a few food labels the next time you are in the grocery store. A good example can be found with commercially prepared peanut butter. In order to give peanut butter it's spreadability, Jiffy, Peter Pan and Skippy brands remove ALL of the natural peanut oil and replace it with canola oil.

Natural peanut butter should only have peanuts and salt listed in the ingredients. If you want to use natural peanut butter, it's available in most stores next to the canola peanut butter. Stir the contents to mix the oil and peanuts together then store in the rfrigerator. The cold temperature will prevent the peanut oil from separating. Best of al, you will have eliminated at least one source of a potential food hazard.

Food consumers have headaches enough, without worrying about a toxic plant oil being added to their food. The problem is you will find canola oil in bread, margarines, and all manner of processed foods. But the consumer is king. Be informed and make it a practice to read what goes into your food. Avoid using canola as a cooking oil and salad oil. It is not a healthy oil.
  10. theword

theword

Whoever thought of calling the stuff Canola oil instead of rapeseed oil was a marketing genius.

I don't think it's substantially different from any other vegetable oil. It was mostly used industrially and not for food because of its name.

"Fry your chicken in 100% pure rapeseed oil." I don't think so.
  11. genius

genius

And water is an industrial fluid useful in many applications including the making of concrete - so what.

Canola has some of the highest levels of Omega-3's and other monosaturated and other fats useful in reducing LDL's without affecting HDL's. Olive oil comes very close but a lot of people find its flavor objectionable in baked goods.

The GM statement is another so what.
  12. SpaMonger

SpaMonger

Canola oil's real name is "LEAR" oil (Low Erucic Acid Rape). it is more commonly known as "rape oil," a semi-drying oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap and synthetic rubber base, and as an illuminant to give color pages in magazines their slick look. In short it is an industrial oil that does not belong in the human body. It is typically referred to in light industry as a penetrating oil. According to a manufacturer of various food products which use canola oil, canola oil is a GM or genetically modified product.
  13. genius

genius

Re: For real?

Canola is just a bit better for your health than corn oil. The thing that makes waffles crunchy is the oil in the batter - the oil on the surface makes the surface crunchy. Its a trade off between crunchy and calories. Stay away from the commercial places and mixes - lot of trans-fats.
    I also mix about 25% whole wheat to 74% white flour.
  14. Beth<3

Beth<3

For real?

Curious
    I have heard that canola is really bad for you?
    I only use corn oil on my waffles..........
    Beth

Billy
    Thank you for the advise
  15. RoyalWulff

RoyalWulff

Could you tell us where to find Beth's web site without breaking the the boards rules?

RW
  16. billyS

billyS

I saw the web site also. One word of advice Beth. No actually two. Buy an ad here, Don't make those pics of you fade so fast. or reverse it and have the sencery fade and leave your picture there.
  17. curious

curious

Waffles are great for any meal. Key to making them crispy around the edges is lots of vegetable oil on the iron while it's heating up (preferably canola).
  18. celtic knight

celtic knight

Saw Beth's new web site. Beautiful work from a beautiful lady. Before the flame war I enjoyed her posts -- smart, insightful, funny. Hope she returns to this board in that kind of mode. Welcome back, Beth. If rule #1 is deny, deny, deny; rule #2 is ignore, ignore, ignore -- all flamers.
  19. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

One of those gigantic Belgian waffles and you're stuffed for the day.
  20. sushiman

sushiman

Only need one flavor.....Maple syrup with buttermilk pancakes...waffles fill you up too quickly!!!