what happened to amp's?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY/CT Massage / Spa' started by trigon, Apr 3, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. ShelbySmoked101

ShelbySmoked101

You answered it yourself. I asked, and most of the girls I asked knew English OK enough to answer (into the 1990s, that was not necessarily true).
  2. studman

studman

How do You?

I have been visting AMPS for years in the CJ area and as far as I know they have all been Chinese. However, without asking, how can you know if it is Chinese or Korean, unless you know the language? I'm curious.
  3. ShelbySmoked101

ShelbySmoked101

Clarification for my post below (since I can’t edit it)

Re-reading my post reveals to me some nostalgia and possibly selective memory about the golden age of Korean AMPs…

The cold hard truth, as filtered by my then-very-impressionable brain:

In the mid-1980s every Korean MP I ever went to had a real lot of girls to choose from (20?), and alot that I might choose (10?), and at least several girls that would be considered top-quality and were very rare as of a few years ago, the last time I went to a Korean MP.

By the time I gave up on Korean places in the mid-1990s, a typical experience would be to visit 6 and then go back to settle for 1 of the 3 girls viewed at the 1st place visited (the mamasans knew me as the guy who only window-shopped). I knew the end of the era had arrived when my friends and I actually debated whether to agree to a mamasan’s new policy of paying the door fee before viewing the girls (at a short-lived place in Kip’s Bay, where many of them were located at the time). We refused, were allowed to enter anyway, and left when we saw the 2 ladies available.

Back in the 80s the girls may not all have been “twenty-something”, but there were certainly enough good-looking “twenty-something”s that I didn’t notice the “gag-me-and-shes-something-other-than-twenty-something”s.
    So, self-selection for a guy in his mid-20s was easy, and I never went with a provider “just because I was there”. I feel sorry for guys now in their mid-20s (other than that they’re in their mid-20s).

I also realized after posting that Dinkins and Guliani have been mentioned as a reason for the decline of the Korean AMP experience...
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  4. ShelbySmoked101

ShelbySmoked101

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...

Chopsticks was the second Korean massage place I ever went to, and the only one whose name I remember, since it was something of a legend among my monger mentors. When it was finally busted (after being in business for years), LE found one room with a 1-way mirror and videotaping equipment. There are many city fathers who are lucky it was busted before the Internet age!

(Was Miyako on 23rd Street at Madison? The name sounds familiar, and if it was it was the first Korean place I ever went to.)

When I started visiting Korean massage parlors in 1985, I didn’t realize I had hit them at their peak. It makes me weep to think back on the typical scene then (25+ pretty hot 20-somethings sitting on a couch trying to get my attention), experience (totally uninhibited by fear of disease, and including BBFS), price (I could afford to visit 2-3x a month, even though I couldn’t afford to live alone in Brooklyn), and attitude (it was not unusual for my provider to flatter me by suggesting she would make a better girlfriend than the one I was currently with, and with hindsight many were probably right!).

The typical girl was not the total pro that became typical by the mid-1990s. Many had day jobs and viewed what they were doing as a necessary but very temporary evil (and yes, I know a lot of total pros view what they do the same way, but no pro is going to give up sleep to moonlight as a low-paid sales clerk).

I dropped out of the scene in 1988, and when I returned in 1990 change was afoot, all of it bad (with the exception of condom usage).

By the mid-1990s, the quantity and quality had dropped, and the price increased, so significantly that I started looking for other monger niches, to the point where I haven’t been to a Korean MP in several years…

One theory I have for a meaningful contribution to their decline as the 1990s wore on was Rudy Guliani’s emphasis on quality-of-life-crime, of which a Korean MP's presence in the neighborhood would be considered. I remember in the early 1990s 6th Ave between 53rd and 57th being overrun with streetwalkers, but they disappeared from the area soon after Guliani was elected.
  5. Jack_Maehoffer

Jack_Maehoffer

No, Snakehead is the term for the Chinese,and any race that illegally extorts money, and traffics humans both male or female around for profit.

China's vigs are higher than Korea's. The women still pay a fat fee to get smuggled in, whether through Mexico, Dominican Republic, Canada, etc. True at the high interest these women with the vices that come along with their profession makes them usually work much longer than they are lead to believe.
    Some women are career whores, and marry to get citizenship, but return back to whoring because there is no other way to make buku bucks in a short timeframe. Many worked since teenagers back home, others have after divorcing their husbands longing for independence, and freedom from being a second rate citizen to being fully free with money to burn. For how long is another story..

6. nabbeun

nabbeun

aren't snake heads just a chinese thing? i know the kgirls have 'travel agents' who arrange visa and such and those can apparently run into 10k or more but i hadn't heard of them having a 50k landing fee that the china girls do (and i always assummed that is why the kgirls seemed less sullen and rushed than the china girls). but i don't have much direct knowledge of this area, my inside view experience is mainly from a legal-immigrant working girl.

my read was the split was pretty much 50/50, alhtough when times are slow the house may sweeten the pot a bit to keep the girls from bolting. i have heard of mama's fronting a girl the money she needs to pay off a debt in exchange to come working, but not that she gets charged a high interest for it (in fact i hear when a girl really needs money the mama will direct customers her way). only case i know is if the girl gets involved with gambling and loan sharks...then yes paying 10% a week on $40K you're not gonna make much headway even earning 10-20k a month.
  7. Jack_Maehoffer

Jack_Maehoffer

AA Meetings???

Familiar: I must have met you before at Amp Anonymous???
  8. suddanlyknot

suddanlyknot

thanks.. Iv been hobbying for yrs.. and have even met a few on the outside.. I'm trying to get closer to one to have an "out of amp" experience on a reg basis.. going in eyes wide closed.. be safe
  9. Jack_Maehoffer

Jack_Maehoffer

Partially true;

Mostly the Korean ones, Koreans will piss money away on bs like nobody's business. The Chinese, and mixed asians are quite conservative, and take trains, and glue their cash in their wallets. ;) The only Chinese, and others that blow money away like the Koreans are the ones who have sugardaddies paying them on the DL .
  10. Jack_Maehoffer

Jack_Maehoffer

It's normally a 50/50 split,or 40/60 house/girl. The snake heads get their take until the deed is paid ( which is quite long because of the huge interest as high as (30-40%) Try and pay 50k off at 30% interest :rolleyes: If the girl has habits such as gambling, and worse it may take her an eternity to settle her debt. Sad, but as time marches on ,health,and age play an important part on the time frame of the pay back. In the end the ladies sometimes end up with little or nothing. Some who are slick will set themselves up with businessmen who will either show them how to invest, or marry them and dump their American baggage.
  11. yonkershobbyist

yonkershobbyist

from my own experience, which is pretty accurate, they spend a lot on gambling, shopping, restaurants, giving money back and forth to each other, and taking korean taxis all over the fucking place, they will take a $500 taxi ride instead of taking a train
  12. suddanlyknot

suddanlyknot

without trying to sound to naiive.. doesn't most of the $200 door fee go to the house and then a % to to the snakes .. even doing more than 5 pops a day.. aren't most of these pops.. non-american and thereforte generally paying less.. so the $10 - 20K actually becomes more like 5 - 7K for the gal.. and that is if she is in a good house.. and not in alot of debt. and lastly.. don't "these gals" spend money on gambling/partying.. more than we do on hobbying..??.. please feel free to educate me.. be safe
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  13. nabbeun

nabbeun

i'll take 3 please...

i guess i only partake of the "above average provider in her prime, not the masses" ;)

really though, i know a room salon girl who made on avg $9k/mo, but gave it up because she avg'd double doing amp fs. and most of the b1 girls i ever asked about it said 5 cust a day was considered really slow, so figure most would avg $1k a day min, 20day/mo leaving time for monthly vac. of course sun and midweek slower, made up for by thur-sat. so it seemed the avg take *before expenses*. i tend toward longer sessions/dallying, so i've seen some girls whip through 3 customers in just the time i'm there. i would guess if it's below 20 its still closer than to 10. but i have no recent figures per se.

if a girl does make much less, its prob cause she chooses not to work for extended periods of vac. but i've seen many girls work full shift for months at a time. for the ones i didn't know on the outside, i always wondered where all the money went that they hadn't quit after a year or two working (the others i did know where the money went, and it was staggering until you see it you couldn't conceive of someone blowing monry quicker than they could make it at 20k/mo, and not have *any* assets to show for it)

i do know that le is curbing the take, to the extent it disrupts the shop's open days and also the customer patterns (ie they aren't sure when its open/closed).

well, if you have any of those $700 bargain lying around, i'll take 3 please...
  14. drbreakfast

drbreakfast

Time Machine

Wow, pinga, you're going back. My favorite was Spa Oriental on 29th and 8th.

For whatever it's worth here's my take:

I started going to Korean FS AMP's back in 1985. (At the time, you'd get table shower, sauna, a drink of liquor, etc., and fair to decent massage and guarenteed BBBJ, DATY and FS. Even BBFS). Typical door fee - $20-30 and tipping for the aforementioned was about $80-$100. Most of the gals were wives/ex-wives/GF of GI's stationed in Korea and in their 20's. The absolute oldest that I came across was a 35 Chinese lady who was very taken with me at the time and we dated a few times.

Dropped out of the scene in the early 90's. I jumped back in around 1997. I discovered a new creature, the Korean HJ Hut. Emphasis on the massage, the extras were, ur...an extra with a lot of YMMV, typically nothing more than a nude HJ. I'm not sure if the HJ Hut existed in NYC in the 1980's -- who would go?

Also played in the FS AMP's in 1998 for the first time in years. First thing I noticed was the major $ increase in the door fee and a decline in the facilities/services -- particularly at the FS places.

Most of the women now are visa overstays. I don't think I've come across a single chick who was a GI babe. I think that the large number of older women at the HJ Huts is due to at least 3 things:

1. They are "retired" FS girls from "back in the day"
    2. The "smuggled" girls tend to be older, particularly the ones from mainland China
    3. Younger gals now that they can make more doing FS

Most of the incall/outcall/24/7 places still offer gals under 30 for the most part. However, it seems that they are not as pretty as they once were.
  15. Jfox987

Jfox987

I know women need money, but I always thought that to get a student visa your family needs to be rich.

I knew a girl in college who was from Singapore and she said she had to prove she had 100k in the bank before she could get a student visa.
  16. Jack_Maehoffer

Jack_Maehoffer

I had one for a measly $700.00

Nab,Your figures pertain to an above average provider in her prime, not the masses. Most amp women will try to pull these figures off in 45-60 days for simplistic comfort level. Being a human oil rig to make 20k in four weeks can be easily attained, but is not the norm. 6-10 k is the average mark for most. With LE rearing it's ugly head, the latter figures are sliding also.
  17. nabbeun

nabbeun

can you say 'asian financial crisis'? ah that was something i hear...started a real wave of prime previously not-for-export booty being sent over to these shores. and pre-9/11, was easy to get in and stay in too. i am told of places that were just chock full then, and with supply up the prices were low by historical standards, but still well worth it for the girl since she was repatriating funds that when converted to the won, baht, rupiah, was serious cash.

almost makes me want to incite a hedge fund collapse to get the wave rolling again...
  18. nabbeun

nabbeun

why do you say its a better deal? in terms of absolute $, the amp girl makes $20k/mo cash. but depending on their $ needs, some are willing to get out with less work for less $. on the other hand i know of a couple girls who were working hostess bars and the $10k avg per month was not enough so they switched to amp for the bigger $

also i have heard that $3k as you say is the low end. $5k maybe they're asking rate. i have been told but not verified about a girl getting $7k/mo, being kept by a dentist guy.

so if can find a shiny new one for $3k would not be bad. but looking close to what you said, $3k is just spending money. throw in an apt @ 1k and car pmt @$500, you are almost talking the $5k avg i heard anyway.

from a buyer's point of view she better be pretty hot stuff not generally available and provide superior service to be worth that. from the girl's perspective, its a serious paycut but you have shorter hours, less 'work' and zero bust risk. so all in all i'm not sure how frequently the gap between the 2 narrow enough to strike a lasting deal.
  19. SpaMonger

SpaMonger

Pinqa, I cannot comment on the NYC scene as most of my activity took place in the NJ mp's. However, I may have not been quite clear on my post. What I wanted to say was almost every spa in the 80's had at least (1) younger worker available. I would be dead wrong to state that every massage employee back then was a knock-out. The majority were average looking. Nevertheless, it seemed that every establishment had at least one attractive girl available who would fit the bill as being young (20's). Unfortunately, that combination is practically non-existant in the NNJ spa's nowadays.
  20. pinga

pinga

Anyone here remember Yoyo's , Miyako, Chopsticks?