What is the

Discussion in 'General Industry Related Topics' started by Dostoevsky, Aug 27, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Monk

Monk

Maybe if we could simply encourage the more articulate members of the JAG community to write reviews again, there wouldn't be a need to complain about it all the time! The atmosphere on that board stinks, although it's picked up a bit lately.
  2. A welcome suggestion

Now that's something for which I'd pay $120 a year.
  3. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Have a very close friend who is a tenured professor of English at a local university. Have seen him grade papers for the creative writing sections he teaches in under 5 minutes. A very hard man to convince of anything. Scathing comments. Brisk and to the point. Excellent company.

Although he is gay as hell, he is a great connesieur of sex and has a wonderful sense of humor. Perhaps someone like him could be talked into critiqueing JAG reviews and sending them back to their authors for further descriptions of activities, motivations of the characters involved, embellishments on points of view. Certainly would cut down on the "editorial" costs.

Imagine the E-Mails: ("Your one or two word descriptions of milady's rump and your own febrile thrustings are lacking in authenticity and hence, unbelievable, as is your unqualified, unsupported statement that the women in question is "beautiful." Better that we cut your arms off until you are sufficiently motivated to report honestly on your carnal adventures.")
  4. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

In defense of JAG management, I don't think that they fully understood the tech consideration necessary for the scope of JAG's current manifestation. When MC agreed to take over the site, I'm sure it was quite manageable from both a financial and editorial standpoint.

SB - funny how we both used the word ostensible.
  5. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

With today's technology, hardware costs are fairly minimal. It's hard to figure "labor", since it really should be "zero", because you really can get just about all the volunteer labor you want for moderation and the like. As far as "tech labor", if you need alot of that, you probably should either not be in this "business" to start with, or should just get a proper partner ( for example at UG, Allen and Woolf handle the tech end, and I the "editorial" ). The big expense is the bandwidth bill.

Perhaps Allen will give more specifics.
  6. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Curious. What are the real costs involved in maintaining a hobby board such as UG and JAG? Server space, network charges, time and man power, etc. Not an IT person, so I haven't a clue.
  7. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

It's an ostensibly "men only" ( how "ostensible" is a subject of great debate ) review and discussion site of a similar ilk to The Erotic Review. Lately, I think JAG stands for "Jealous and Grumpy" ( or "John's Action Guide" ).

oops. I've got to learn to type faster.....

[Edited by slinkybender on 08-27-2001 at 03:39 PM]
  8. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

John's Action Guide - a hobbyboard (that started as a mailing list several Internet eons ago) that is ostensibly John only and private. They used to require a review of suitable quality in order to gain membership and access to reviews as well as the members only board. Membership was then maintained by sending a review every two months. Later this was changed to every three months. The financial burden of running the site begin to pile up on the owner who the asked members for donations. Few members actually donated and so the site was made pay for play. Current cost of admission is $120 per annum.

In its archives, JAG has some of the most intelligent and well written posts on the subject of prostitution. Likewise, reviews were very informative and detailed. It is the feeling of myself (and others) that by changing to a pay site and thus valuing money over ability to generate ccntent, the quality of the writing has suffered. I should point out that I certainly have never been able to come up with a solution for the problem of funding JAG without leading to similar results.

http://www.jaginfo.net
  9. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

What is the "JAG" Board?

Don't mean to be an imbecile but what does "JAG" stand for?