Whatever happened to...

Discussion in 'New York' started by wimpy, Aug 22, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Humble Narrator

Humble Narrator

Shakespeare tidbit

In spoken English at the time of the play's publication, the word "nothing" was pronounced "noting", which was a euphemism for eavesdropping. As we know, "noting" is a major component of the play and perhaps has relevance here as well.

I see more than a little comic intrigue around here these days.
  2. Candide

Candide

Think's Justme - from you that is a BIG compliment. I can tell you are a mathematician :) You have clear analytic skill.

Littleguy - I don't think Shakespeare would appreciate his title used like that - There is often value in "much ado about nothing" if you're willing to look.
  3. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

LG - isn't that what these boards are about

Candide - I see your point and concede that it's normally bad form to repost an email. Thanks for taking the time to explain further.
  4. littleguy

littleguy Gold

Yeeeesh,

Talk about much ado about nothing...........
  5. Candide

Candide

Justme -

The APM's first joke was not offensive - it was exactly as you described it ( very good analysis Justme) , a play on her vocation :

"I hear in the meanwhile she's offering "phone service"."

The second joke involved her advertisement which was an e-mail she sent to the poster. (My opinion is that trouble looms when people post e-mail sent to them from others out of context even if it was an ad and not really private.) I saw it as involving what is possibly the poster's contempt, dislike, and lack of respect for the author. Maybe he has good reason not to respect her and to feel contempt. I can't argue with that. But this:

"I'm rushing on this one

Do you think the phones are covered or uncovered?"

bothered me because I am interested in buying this service and I have written to Bettina asking for more information with the clear indication that I am honest, sincere and interested only in this particular transaction. (A friend of mine is a client of her's so I didn't have to lie or mention this board which I never would anyway - I may give away movie endings but I'm not that bad a trouble maker!)

While I appreciate Skelly's sharp intelligence and wit, usual good judgement, interesting and unique posts, individualism, usual fairness, insight and especially his taste in movies, I thought that this post which was short and simple did a lot of potential damage because it implied that her new endeavor is silly (the APM's words - but also I think the APM's interpretation of Skelly's post which he fed into - hey he's human, so he can't be perfect) - it has nothing to do with her illness - my opinion is that her new endeavor is NOT silly and if she were not ill I would have the same opinion.

But, then again, I have never spoken to or met with her. I have never purchased her other services nor would I ever be interested in them (Greek, FS , what is the language for oral? I forgot) so I have no urge to take a low shot at her. Actually, though I was never as successful a practioner nor did I reach the point where I was able to perform all of her talents I was on her side of the boat) This isn't criticism of Skelly or the APM - it is a fact that they may feel the impulse to have some "squalid fun" (that's a great phrase Judge. Can I borrow it?) While I just don't. But I also have no urge to take sides for philanthropic reasons - I just see the merits of her business plug while they get hung up in other images of her.

In the interests of free commerce I simply meant to clarify :) - and because I thought that the previous discourse was effective I had to come out strong - because no one else who saw Jeff's view was saying anything. Sorry if I came off resentful - that is my cross to bear (guys fall into their "squalid fun" traps and I have my defensiveness to watch out for) I try to balance out and be fair but I cannot help feeling sisterhood and cameraderie with this woman - However you view her I know she is a sweet person and has done no harm to anyone.

[Edited by Candide on 08-26-2001 at 12:15 PM]
  6. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

I think it's best to think of unhealthy people as people first. When we treat them with kid gloves we emphasize the sickness and use that to define them, this I believe is more offensive than even a bad joke. More, I think SC's post was making light of B's profession change, not her health problems. I think that this is fair good natured ribbing. Humor at the expense of her mortality would be tasteless, but humor at the expense of her humanity is average.

And FWIW, the APM made the joke first.
  7. jras

jras

process of elimination

hey slinkyB,

wasn't Beth.

jras
  8. Candide

Candide

I think it was Skelly :) That is I think it was ! This board is busy lately it's hard to remember :)
  9. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

"You need a spell check here Slinky"

Then how would h4c decide who to see ???? ( or was that someone else ?? ).
  10. Candide

Candide

The Judge called me a mensch ! I'm fainting! :)
    Thanks Judge but I just think 4.9 cents per minute for long distance is hard to pass on in this economy!

I do think you'd appreciate "Zombie". Let me know what you think. My other, second favorite of hers is, "What I lived for" (the hero of the story is a sex junkie) - A total mess of a novel from a mechanical standpoint but what a character incubator that book is! She is the one female writer who can, at times, successfully write from a man's point of view, even sound like a man - And to watch her in interviews, I cannot believe this stuff comes out of her - she is such an English Prof of a lady. The bun and black framed glasses type - with a "voice" like Raymond Chandler and Jim Thompson talking at the same time...what a woman!

JRAS - You read that on a tropical island in the Indian Ocean?... you know how to live man ! You are my new role model! :) They are making a movie out of that thing?! Well if they follow the book at all I will NOT be buying popcorn for that viewing :) yeech!

[Edited by Candide on 08-24-2001 at 11:53 PM]
  11. jras

jras

zombie

C and JC

I read Zombie in one sitting a few years ago, jet-lagged and disoriented on a tropical island in the Indian Ocean. It simply astounded me. Can't wait for the movie!

jras
  12. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

Candide:

Thanks. I'd really started my sea change though months earlier in July of 2000 when I was forced to remember and comprehend in a real tangible way that was painful to me that providers have souls and want to be held sometimes like other women. Notwithstanding the fact that I found out that sharks do bite sometimes when you swim among them (and why shouldn't they; it being their nature and right to bite), I will never forget that. Only buy commercial sex now on days when I can see three different women, so I can better understand myself and them. Won't write any more reviews despite my interest in the review writing process. Suffice it to say though that my thoughts and impressions are getting progressively more intense as I struggle towards infamous recognition of what it is for me and them to be alive. Buddhist in training, as it were. Since sex has always been to me like dropping acid, I view my function on these boards to drive people insane, to gaod them into recognition.

Wil read "Zombie" on your recommendation. I like Oates.

You are a mensch for buying phone service from Bettina. I will do the same.
  13. Candide

Candide

One more thing - 4.9 cents per minute ain't bad! If I wrote to Bettina and asked for this service what should I say if she asks me where I heard of her? Tee hee :)

Also I love the way she says:

"...I have an opportunity for you that is getting ready to explode."

"...then I can do that for you also..."

I don't think this is silly. I think that is adorable :)

I think you have to have some misdirected hostility to think she is being silly and that is just my opinion but I have a right to express it.

[Edited by Candide on 08-24-2001 at 09:16 PM]
  14. Candide

Candide

Judge - I remember that review - and it was one powerful and hard to take piece of pungent and effective, raw and visceral writing. I remember it because as unpleasant as it was it was an excellent piece of critical writing (aside from any truth because the subject matter is out of my sphere) and I liked it the way I like and will never forget Joyce Carol Oates' "Zombie" which was by far the best god-damned thing that woman ever wrote and though it made me puke and wince with nausea and writhe with palpable physical pain from the immediacey of the sick reality it portrayed, at the same time I was taking my hat off to what was a masterful tour de force of great success, the culmination of decades of dedication to her craft.

In that review I saw your hobbying "opus" - that was when I saw you graduate out of unconscious John-dom - that was a turning point for you - and ugly poetry it was. You changed after that.

And I like you better now - you are incredibly more interesting :)

How the freak do you spell immediacey? I don't have my dictionary wih me! You need a spell check here Slinky. Maybe you could have one of those girls like at the boxing matches who goes around with the round number signs :) she could pop up when there is a typo with the correct word on a card - hmmmmm....that is some software idea to develop!

[Edited by Candide on 08-24-2001 at 09:05 PM]
  15. Geezy Muldoon

Geezy Muldoon Gold

SK:

Candide has always been fair minded and generally tolerant of male shenanigans throughout her existence as InfoBooth on JAG and here on UG. Post seemed a bit callous, especially coming from you, who usually sounds a compassionate note or two every so often. Not that I don't understand the need to make squalid fun*. It just sounded bad; her being really sick.

*My November 2000 JAG review of her when she was still working and provided me with a disappointing session was certainly the nastiest thing I've ever written along those lines.

[Edited by Judge Crater on 08-24-2001 at 08:24 PM]
  16. Candide

Candide

Well, just an observation - your post made me feel similar emotions to Jeff's. So I don't think you can say, "hardly making fun of her", cause I thought you were too.

If you aren't making fun of her then what was the point of posting her e-mail to you on a public board? There is something subtlely nasty about that. If I was having an immature emotional tantrum I'd pick someone who wasn't suffering from diabetes as my target for hostility -especially because the woman never did any harm to any of you - it really doesnt make sense unless you are kicking someone when they are down. My personal opinion is that you guys are being obviously obnoxious and Jeff has a valid point - but that is just my opinion

[Edited by Candide on 08-24-2001 at 06:40 PM]
  17. SkellyChamp

SkellyChamp

Jeff - I think you are over-reacting a bit. I was hardly making fun of her.
  18. nycguy1967

nycguy1967

phone Sex??

Skelly - -- Please be smart and cover the phone - I've seen some terrible infections from phone sex . .
  19. Jeff

Jeff

Picture how you would feel if you where sick and could no longer take care of your self or your family how would you feel. You might look for any way to make money including a far fetched phone business. It may not seam so silly to you then. I'm also just telling you how I feel, I think it's terrible to make fun of some one who is sick. :(

PS I can not stop you from making fun of any 1 I'm just telling you how I feel.

[Edited by Jeff on 08-24-2001 at 01:27 PM]
  20. Slinky Bender

Slinky Bender The All Powerful Moderator

I don't think anyone making fun of anyone's illness. However, even people who are sick can say and do silly things, and I don't think anyone needs to either patronize them or ignore silliness, just because someone has a health problem. I've known several people who had gravely serious illnesses, and the last thing they wanted was for people to treat them "like glass".