When the illegals go berserk will your State be ready??

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by SkidMarxX, Mar 27, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

I think it is pretty clear that neither extreme is desirable. Of course someone with book smarts may not really understand the world if it is not coupled with common sense/street smarts. However, I disagree that advanced learning does not assist a world leader, such as a US president, in making better decisions. Do you really want a high school drop out making decisions about Americas economic policy? Or how about foreign policy from a president whos grasp of history is rudimentary at best?
  2. njman2

njman2

I was thinking that the article from Playboy would be inappropriate. Even if the child wanted to read from a religious text - this should be allowed. The purpose of the session is to encourage reading and to allow the student to share their interest with the class.
  3. Ozzy

Ozzy

In a way it is.

Acadmeic achievement is a great resource to have in the job market. You'll more times than not make a better living with it than without it.

But in determining how the world works requires almost no academic achievement.... just plain old common sense.

Now the problem many so-called intellectuals have is that they think the worlds problems are solved out of a book, or that a president or any world leader need be an intellectual or else he's an incompetent boob. It's that closed minded thinking that shows me a total lack of common sense.

In the real world outside of the classroom and the work place (accounting for the various professional fields)... street smarts and common sense trumps books smarts every time.... all the time.
  4. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Not Yaweh. Not God. Not Allah. No bible or Koran or Torah quotes. Very symbolic rather than instructional. The thing was so inoffensive, unless you are a militant secualrist who is paranoid that you might find your soul if some 6 year old read a deisitic poem in a Kindergarten class......
  5. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

How is creation "vague religious content"?
  6. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

No Bible quotes. Did not mention God by any known name. It was a quite general. And the teacher was wrong legally. It was a student choice. But as with many things secular, the teacher is intimidated. She thinks that there can be no mention of religion at any time, regardless of who initiates, which is not true.

Don't remember the title. This was about 10 years ago. It was a children's book, nothing about it was controversial except it was about creation.
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  7. jyris

jyris

While I applaud the sentiment (in general), the way you expressed it strikes me as just a little ironic...
  8. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Great quote. Always nice to see a fellow Simpson's fan on the board.
  9. jras

jras

Academics rule!
    Fuck you anti-intellectual insecure dopes.
  10. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

Couldn't have said it better myself Justme. Unfortunately, some posters are certain that their 5th grade history class adequately prepared them to understand the world. Somehow they view advanced learning as a handicap. Go figure.
  11. DaveNJ

DaveNJ

The title matters exactly for the reason you described (inappropriateness). It is difficult to know what to make of Oddfellow's post without knowing the book in question.
  12. Immigants! I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it
    was them.
    -- Moe Szyslak, "Much Apu About Nothing"
  13. bushleaguer

bushleaguer The CDC

They were protesting because the House passed a bill that would make illegal immigation a felony.
  14. njman2

njman2

Does the title matter?

These readings are to encourage students to read. They get up and read from their favorite book and this makes them feel better about continuing to read.

Now the schools will have to exercise some control as to appropriateness of the book in question (ala a hustler article). But religion is a big part of the culture/home life of many and should not be banned from these session.
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  15. Mr. Wet Wooly

Mr. Wet Wooly

The issue of Hustler where Jerry Fallwell loses his cherry to Mommy in the outhouse.
  16. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

And what was the title of that book with the "vague religious content"?
  17. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about.

I disagree with you and think that you're stupid --> you must be an academic.

18. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Yes. Well, my kid was told he could bring a book to a voluntary reading aloud session at his school. When the teacher found out it had some vague religious content, she shut him down. So, it cuts both ways.
  19. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

How very typical American of you.
  20. jras

jras

I just prefer to do (and believe) whatever the fuck I want without some infallible dope or Bible/Koran thumper making the rules to suit their exploitative agenda