Why 3rd party candidates are a joke

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by justbill_redux, Aug 7, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Koondog,

Read the sticky note ayt the top to get an overview of the anticipated ambiance for this forum. JB does a solid job of providing references and details we often miss. However, he's not particularly genteeel in expressing his own views.
  2. koondog

koondog

I know you take pride in being a self-professed "old crank with a shit attitude", however, are you that incapable of having a normal civilized dialogue with those who wish to discuss politics? You will wind up talking only to yourself as all others will tune you out from the offputting hostility. I hope in another 30 years I don't end up a bitter SOB like yourself...anyhow, in the spirit of the season--Merry X-mas.
  3. justbill_redux

justbill_redux King Missile

Do you think I care what the fuck you think about me?
  4. koondog

koondog

"How many times can 1 RW fucking lying shitbag be wrong"

Do you really expect honest good faith debate with other posters when you engage in classless and vicious personal attacks? God, get a personality for chrissakes...
  5. justbill_redux

How many times can 1 RW fucking lying shitbag be wrong

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- State and federal investigations have cleared Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Ned Lamont and his supporters of any involvement in the crash of Sen. Joe Lieberman's Web site.

The U.S. attorney's office and state attorney general have found no evidence of a crime in the crash of Lieberman's campaign Web site hours before August's Democratic primary.

"The investigation has revealed no evidence the problems the Web site experienced were the result of criminal conduct," Tom Carson, spokesman for U.S. Attorney Kevin O'Connor, said Tuesday.

[snip]

Source http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-liebermancrash1220,0,4637095.story?coll=hc-headlines-local
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  6. Wowie69

Wowie69

I was totally wrong both before and while I was in the Neocon Spin Zone.

I sincerely apologize.

And I agree.... Amen and Hallelujihad....

Huh? jihad? a religious mission.... wait a second.... I am still there... Hey, I see Dick Cheney and he is mad as hell... as if he's possessed with a fanatic preacher's passion...and he's attacking Ned Lamont for allowing the terrorists to try to put bombs on planes...

"If Lieberman had won, there would have been no threats and everyone could have taken all their gels on any plane they wanted...which is the American way... but Lamont is clearly trying to allow terrorists to attack us... and everyone who voted for him is responsible for allowing the terrorists to attack us more easily..."

Oh god, how do I get out of the Necon Spin Zone? There must be an exit somewhere....
  7. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

Amen. Halelujiah, brother!
  8. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Actually, since Perot cost Bush his re-election bid, then there never would have been a Clinton presidency and probably never a Republican revolution in 1994 and perhaps never a Nadar candidacy ...... therefore?

Joe should give up poliitcs in order to presere the memory of the Clinton presidency, the last golden age of BJs in the white house.... the last age of the Dem moderate....

Do I hear an Amen?
  9. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

Wowie: a very surreal post. Let's see if we can understand.

You are saying that, in the real world, you agree with me that your original statement about Nader was wrong. But when dragged into the spin zone, you were right, because Nader's 2000 candidacy affected the 2004 result.

Okay. Except I think you were drifting down into the lefty moonbat spin zone. But no matter - one unreality is as good as the next. Bottom line - in the real world, you agree that Bush did not win two elections because of Ralph Nader.

And to return from our digression to justbill's original post about Republicans helping a third party candidate in order to siphon off Dem votes . . . is this ANY different from the efforts of the Democrats to keep Nader off the ballot in 2004, for fear that he would siphon off votes?? (And those efforts were well-documented.)
  10. Wowie69

Wowie69

I agree with you Hyabby....wait a second...what's that spinning vortex... Arrrgggghhh....I am being dragged into the Neocon Spin Zone... nooooooooooo........

HYABBY, you ignorant slut! I didn't say Nader cost Kerry the election... I said that Bush won two elections because of Nader. If Nader hadn't run in the first election, then Bush would have lost. That means Gore would have won and it would have been extremely unlikely that the Bush would have ever run again, much less against Gore in the following election. On the other hand, the first victory for Bush was the setup that allowed him to run and win again. So, it's pretty clear that Nader did in fact give Bush both elections...

....wait...I'm struggling...to get out of the vortex....POP!.... I'm back....sorry about that Hyabby...

ooohh that was nasty...if you get caught in the Neocon Spin Zone you can make any argument without regard to the facts... and the personal insults.... that's not my style...whew....really sorry Hyabby....just be careful guys that you don't get caught in it....
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy

The sad thing is that the two powerful parties we do have in this country...... both suck!

It's a shame a third party or an independent doesn't stand a chance or isn't allowed a real voice.
  12. Hyabby

Hyabby Guest

Uh, no

While it is certainly arguable that Nader affected the result in 2000, there is no plausible argument that his candidacy in 2004 made a damn bit of difference.

In '04, Nader received a total, nationwide, of 411,304 votes - which is just over one tenth of the 3,012,497 votes that Bush beat Kerry by. (Yeah, okay, I looked that up - I don't keep those numbers committed to memory!)

Nader was not even on the ballot in Ohio - considered by many to be THE deciding state. There were two independents on the ballot in Ohio - who received a combined total of 26,616 votes - considerably less than the 118,599 votes by which Bush beat Kerry.

While I have not gone through the vote totals for each of the 34 states that Nader was on the ballot in (or at least the ones that went for Bush), I seriously doubt that even one of them would have flipped if all Nader votes had gone to Kerry. If you want to go through the exercise, feel free.

And if you want to believe that Nader cost Kerry the election in '04, go right ahead - but you are wrong! It's just another lefty myth.
  13. Wowie69

Wowie69

Let's not forget that Bush won 2 elections because of Ralph Nader.

So, 3rd party candidates are not always a joke...

(It should be interesting to see what happens in Connecticut with 3 candidates running.)
  14. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Not sure what your point is. The Jersey judiciary re-shapes the law to accomodate the Dems and the Republican leaning judiciary stick to the letter of the law and it hurts the Republicans. Good summary of the past 40 years.
  15. justbill_redux

NO that would be that liberal POS activist SCOTUS judge Antonin Scalia.
  16. Ozzy

Ozzy

I already had my say in another thread re:Lamont.... A win for him is a major loss for the dems.
  17. argleby

argleby

Gee, I wonder who pulled this sleazy trick?

Lieberman campaign says Web site hacked
    By SUSAN HAIGH, Associated Press Writer 54 minutes ago

HARTFORD, Conn. - Democratic Sen. Joe Lieberman, who was locked in a battle with an anti-war challenger in the nation's most closely watched primary race Tuesday, accused his opponent's supporters of hacking his campaign Web site and ****** system.

Lieberman campaign manager Sean Smith said the campaign has contacted the Connecticut attorney general's office and asked for a criminal investigation by state and federal authorities.

"If Ned Lamont has a backbone in his body, he will call on these people to cease and desist," Smith said.

Lamont, campaigning early Tuesday afternoon in Bridgeport, said he knew nothing about the accusations. "It's just another scurrilous charge," he said.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office declined immediate comment. Calls placed to the FBI and the chief state's attorney's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Smith said the site began having problems Monday night and crashed for good at 7 a.m.

"Voters cannot go to our Web site. They cannot access information," Smith said. "It is a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise voters."

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060808...ejJ76Mv;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
  18. oddfellow4870

oddfellow4870

Yes and the judiciary in NJ let the Dems do it, while the judiciary in Texas is NOT letting Delay withdraw....
  19. argleby

argleby

Yeah, Democrats would never do anything sleazy like that. They would never slash tires on voter vans in Milwaukee in 2004 to keep Republicans from the polls. Or illegally withdraw a Senate candidate just because he fell behind in the polls, e.g. Bob Torricelli in NJ in 2002.

As usual, juststupid's phony outrage is reserved only for Republicans. As usual, he's a hypocrite. As usual, he's just stupid.
  20. justbill_redux

and Republicans are scumbags.

Not only did the Rethuglicans give 60K to the PA Green Party’s Senatorial candidate they’ve actually collected the signatures necessary in order for him to be on the ballot.

From http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/15203194.htm

HARRISBURG - Six staffers on Sen. Rick Santorum's campaign - including an intern who tailed Democratic candidate Bob Casey Jr. in a duck costume - collected voter signatures to help place the Green Party on the fall ballot.

The intern, petitions show, collected signatures from voters in five counties in one day.

T.J. Rooney, the state Democratic Party chairman, and other Democrats disclosed details of the petition drive that they said offered further evidence of involvement from Santorum supporters to get Carl Romanelli, the Green Party's Senate candidate, on the ballot. Not only did Santorum aides help collect signatures for Romanelli, but Republicans and Santorum supporters put more than $60,000 into the petition drive

[SNIP]

BTW Bob Casey leads Santorum by 8 points