Why?

Discussion in 'New York' started by Redeye Jedi, Dec 10, 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

Thanks, Oh Venerable One.
  2. great line mr. furniture.
  3. Paraphrasing Sally Field

He likes us. He REALLY likes us!!!

;)
  4. justme

justme <i>pop and click tainted</i> Vinyl ( is dead )

Why, oh why, oh why, oh why,
    Because, because, because, because.
    Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

- Woody Guthrie
  5. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi Citivibe.com

Wasn't that also put in an old episode of Star Trek?
    I only ask "because"(Thanks Bill)I have an interest.
    By far this board has some of the most unique characters I have
    ever encountered. Maybe it's the whole illegal premise of the activity that brings you all(us all) here to interact.
    Either way, you guys are a pretty lively bunch so I hang out and bail, there are some pretty smart people around here and I'm not known to be where the stupid dwell so...(and also tell you of the new ladies added to our site:)

6. Bill Furniture

Bill Furniture Flounder

The computer should have said "because."
  7. anyone here watch that old british tv series the prisoner? in one episode #6 asks the world's smartest computer a question which it cannot answer, thus causing it to melt down. the question, of course, is "why?"
  8. nicoleoneil

nicoleoneil

well....

Why those sentiments sound logical...they are unrealistic.

You know I use to think... why not this and why not that. Especially about what's happening to wild life and the Brazilian rain forests...why? I stopped asking.

But...it's just human nature, politics in it's bare (very bare) form. You have to give a shit to change and frankly...I think people like it the way it is. It's a some-what-not-so-serious forum where people vent there frustrations and create mini dramas. Keeps some people's life very interesting.

But I do agree..it's good to ask why every once in a while. It keeps the wheels turning. Ya know. Nicole
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2001
  9. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi Citivibe.com

That's my boss:) He's legit
    It's this "tommy from the east side" and "balletboy(?)" shit I have to deal with...:(
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2001
  10. justlooking

justlooking

Then who's that guy "True Living" who shills for Cityvibe advertisers on TBD?
  11. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi Citivibe.com

Re: response to Why?

Thank you lastone, I appreciate your post and perception of my thread:) I agree with most of your points especially the one made about my "rocky start" here on UG. Though on another level I'm
    just kind of a nice guy. I hate yelling. I hate conflict. I hate mounting tension. I hate holding grudges. And most of ALL, I hate
    arguing over something that has very little(if no) meaning to anyone except the ones that are using the most derogatory comments in the namesake of "the last word". Your right, this is a community and I "think"(hope, anyway) that I'm a part of it in some way. Just think of me as the neighbor that dislikes conflict and will argue to avoid it rather than argue to feed it.

PS
    (Also think of me as the neighbor that knows where to gather info on the finest in "hotel accessories":):)

PSS
    My job is not easy, My job is not easy, My job is not easy,
    My job is not easy, My job is not..., ....:(

12. thelastone

thelastone

wow...

I just read my post and i noticed that the third paragraph has more buzzwords than an email from my boss ;)

last
  13. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi Citivibe.com

Well...I found out who is doing it and have had a "nice" talk with them and(I went to my boss)so that shit is dead.
    turns out that we have a "secret admirer"(?) I don't understand this business. Thank You Joey for telling me this. I would have never known had you not posted those links, I don't really check out A-report. The only boards I check out are this one and TBD, and the ONLY one I post on is the one I'm posting on right now.
    I read some of this shit and I'm trying to figure out what the fuck this dude is thinking(?)It's shit like this that makes my job VERY HARD.

"Some motherfuckers are always tryin to ice skate up a hill..." Wesley Snipes - Blade

14. thelastone

thelastone

response to Why?

I think your assessment of this board is a bit off.

You have to really analyze why so many people read this board (3500+). What makes this hobby board different from any other hobby board out there. There are lots of reasons, but the primary one is that, it has more of a "community" type feel than other hobby boards.

I don't read tbd, I don't read jag, or any other hobby boards, mainly because what i have seen there doesn't have this same type of "feel". I know its a rather subjective word, but if you look around, and read the posts, and some of the inane threads as well as some of the explosive ones, then you might understand what I'm talking about. This thread for example starts out with your question, and by the second page we're talking about types of rolling papers and people are asking to "pass the bong" (which on a virtual board, is amusing).

Now given this, we can answer why (in your estimation) there are considerably more flames here than on other boards. The answer now becomes apparent when you factor in a neighborhood community. You have personality conflicts, disagreements, etc. like any other community. Things like this are bound to come up. Now I don't agree that there is an unusually large amount of flaming here. I will say that the flaming here is a bit more "vicious" than other boards I have been on (at least from this lurker's perspective). This can also be understood because of the nature of the board subject. With the illegal "gray area morality" of the subject matter, there is a derived "back-channel sub-culture" that feeds itself off this board. Mix that in with a healthy dose of "personal preferences" and your gonna get some arguements.

If your going to look at the worse parts of the board, you also have to look at the best and good parts of the board as well. Balance your view. I've seen Carl M help newbies with infomation. I've seen Ozzie actually show compassion for the clueless (rare i know :) ). The information sharing and helping on this board is very apparent if you look. I wouldn't know about any LE busts if it I didn't happen to read it here.

I will certainly agree that some of the threads get way out of hand, but slinky and allen seem to do a fairly decent job on keeping a cap on it without being to obtrusive. I'll read those threads until they grow to be about 2 pages and then I stop reading them. It just ends up making me frustrated, and it just isn't the type of information that I want to read about or spend the time on. But I find when i do this, it increases my enjoyment alot more, which might cause a bit more bias on my part, but your more than welcome to do the same thing. Its also quite possible that its more noticeable to you, than me, because of your rather "rocky" start on the board.
    But give it some time, ask the good questions. Participate in the discussions whether its a Yankees thread, or a joke thread. You'll find yourself immersed in the community before long. And try to give the other guy the benefit of the doubt. If it sounds offensive or sarcastic, go for the option that makes you less angry. At least this is what works for me.

hope that helps.

last
  15. JoeyP

JoeyP

P.S.

Spammer is using 4 or 5 names also including irenicus and howie. Moderators appear to be trying to remove some links now.
  16. JoeyP

JoeyP

http://www.private-access.com/cgi-b...?az=read_count&om=133&forum=DCForumID23&omm=0

The above post is a member asking that this "person" be banned. It's obvoius that this board is only "lightly" moderated due to how long the spamming lasted.

http://www.private-access.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID23&conf=DCConfID2

The above the full page.

If the links don't work go through www.a-report.com
    Then message boards
    Then New York

It's pretty obvious how and why this board is being trashed. Thank goodness the UG board has quality moderators and this can't happen here!
  17. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi Citivibe.com

I WANNA KNOW WHERE!
  18. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi Citivibe.com

Who the fuck is that??? No I'm not(?) and I'm pretty sure (positive in fact)I'm the only one on ANY board who speaks the word of Cityvibe.

PS
    could you tell me(can everyone/anyone) where and what posts these are.
    You would be helping me because I'm NOT TRYING TO GO THROUGH SHIT AGAIN...especially over shit other people do that I don't even know.

19. heffer123

heffer123

smoke another joint and then we will see who cares who got banned .
  20. JoeyP

JoeyP

Just curious Redeye

Are you also the "Mike from the East Side" that is spamming another board with Citivibe reviews??

It looks like thy've now banned you now